Trade Now or Wait??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saber

Reaction score
Just wondering everyones opinion on this. I agreed to do a trade of some horses with someone. Now she has a sick filly. She says the vet says to go ahead with the trade , there is no risk. I have 60 horses on my farm , including 8 foals and boarders. I don't want to risk it. I want to wait at least a month ....Any advice will be greatly apreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you even risk it? I thought this filly was at death's door? And if not, how much stress will traveling put on her?

Is her vet willing to put it in writing that this filly will make a 100% recovery and is absolutely not contagious? Me personally, would say NO DEAL.

First I would want to know what the "illness" is specifically and see the vet, or speak to him/her. The first word to mind tho was "wait".

I am assuming that the trade does not include the sick baby????

Anyway, either way, I would be tempted to wait and see.

I would wait if I were you. We had horses at a sale 2 weeks ago - and now I have 60 sick horses at home - so depending on what the filly has - it could potentially go through your whole herd. The other reason to wait is that the sick filly should not be put through any additional stress when she is sick - and transporting her to a new home would be stressful. It just makes sense to have her treated where she is and when she is better go ahead and make the trade.

I had a sale for a yearling colt - and the lady has backed out of the sale completely because of the virus that is going through my herd (and every breeders herd that had horses at the sale). That is a bit ridiculous as this virus will not stay in the environment (it isn't the plague!!!) - but she was worried about her other horses - even though I offered to keep the yearling until spring!!!!

It is better to be safe than sorry - what is the hurry at this point. Keep us posted.

The trade does not include the sick filly. Waiting is what I requested. Does anyone know how long you should wait after a horse has been diagnosed with this type of pneumonia?? Apparently, her vet says it can only be passed to foals under 5 months of age.The trade does involve a weanling filly that has pastured withthe little fily that is now sick. She doesn't seem to think there is a problem. I just posted so she could see that my concern is appropriate and that others would not risk there herds either.

I wouldn't even consider it. And, I'd surely speak to my own vet. Some of the things reported that her vet has said do not sound very reasonable to me (such as this virus happening more in horses whow are inbred...). There's NO substitute for your own vet and his or her insight.

I, too, have over 50 horses here. If I were getting a horse from another farm and one of theirs was sick, I would wait a minimum of 2 weeks after the other horse was completely well--Eating, playing and acting normal and no longer on any medications. You have wwwwaaaayyyy too many horses to deal with if this is even slightly contagious. It is also coming onto cold and nasty weather, making sickness even harder to deal with.

Just my $.02--which is usually worth even less
default_biggrin.png

I would certainly wait. Wait until there is not one sick horse on her farm for over two weeks. If there are any other outbreaks of sickness on her farm, you would have to wait again for two weeks until not one horse comes down with anything else.

To bring home horses to your farm that have been exposed to any kind of sickness is only asking for trouble.

And I agree, it sounds like her vet is not one I would trust what they have to say. Not after the comment about inbred horses. It is possible that inbred horses may have less of an imune system, thus being able to get sick easier, but they would have had to have been inbred over and over and over again.

A resounding NO. And imo 2 weeks is not long enough. I would wait 4 weeks.

I feel bad for both of you but I would wait as well. Specifically talking with my own Vet to ascertain what the risk is. But still if I had a sick baby I would not want anyone to take any of my horses until it was all clear just to keep from hard feelings later.. JMO...

Any horse coming to my farm is quarantined....for their own good, as well as that of the others. They are subject to different germs in both cases. Even show stock -- after all, even tho they get more frequent and sometimes more extensive vaccines, they have been exposed. Safety is all.

So, whatever your decision now or later, consider that.

Many years ago I have 2 animals at an auction, brought home as I no saled....quarantined. There had been an animal at the sale who was caughing profusely, not snotty or anything. A red flag went up even though they were at the far end of this barn. Sure enough, 3 days later both had pneumonia!! Treated, etc. No others of my 60 at home got it but, only because I used caution.

I carry alcohol based wipes in my car, keep it in the barn, bleach travels with me for shoe soles. You never know where you will be or the situation. This is true with people issues, not just animal. Good vets will attest to this as well as practice it!

I would definately wait at least 2 weeks after recovery even if the sick filly is not part of the trade. You need to protect both of you in this. Her filly might be recovering but she will still have a very weak immune system. The chance is there that she could pick up a bug of some type from the new horse coming is is much higher even if the new horse appears healthy with her immune system not back at full strenght anything is possible. And as mentioned you don't want to bring any bug back to your farm and this will give the weanling you are getting a better chance of being healthy when you get her.

Thanks for all your replies. I have basically emailed and said if she can't wait the trade is off. I too believe 2 weeks isn't long enough.My vet says he would wait at least 30 days, and only if there are no other symtoms on the farm to bring them home. Furthermore , once home they need to be quarantined for at least 10 days or longer.

Smart choice and good advise from your vet..

Thanks for all your replies. I have basically emailed and said if she can't wait the trade is off. I too believe 2 weeks isn't long enough.My vet says he would wait at least 30 days, and only if there are no other symtoms on the farm to bring them home. Furthermore , once home they need to be quarantined for at least 10 days or longer.
Quarantine is wonderful; however, in my opinion, 10 days is not long enough for a new addition to your herd (especially if that horse is coming from a herd where there has been an outbreak of anything)! A LOT of "bugs" have an incubation period longer than 10 days. I never, ever quarantine a new addition to my herd less than 45 days, ever.

I would say no matter what the illness, WAIT. I used to trade breed stock with another show rabbit breeder. We both had the top Mini Rex Rabbits in The Northern California. However, illness does sometimes happen and if we had a planed trade we waited 3-4 weeks after any symptoms went away. Neither of us wanted to hurt the compitition with what we may have gotten in our barn. If the trade is worth making it is worth waiting for. If the other breeder does not want to wait I would try to make them understand my way of thinking. Good luck.

My Vet felt that the actual problem itself might not be transmittable, but that the situations causing it would/could cause it to go through everyone....it is felt by some to actually be transmittable, so it is not possible to say for sure.

As it was it did go through all the foals, the adult animals were OK, but apparently this is often the way, their immune systems are mature and able to shake it off.

I did, as I said on the other thread, actually lose a foal that time.

It has happened since (really hot humid weather now truly worries me) and the animals all recovered.

It does not have anything to do with "inbreeding"!!!

I agree with Relic, Smart Choice and Good advice from your vet. Plus, what does your gut tell YOU...... Your smart, listen to your gut. TJ

Regarding quarantine, for those reading / learning, keep in mind that it may prevent "nose to nose" spread of illness but what about the illnesses spread by insects and by you yourself as you tend to each of your horses a couple times a day. I'm not saying don't quarantine new horses, but to fully understand the limitations of whatever protection that may actualy offer your horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back