Tractor Supply Compressed Alfalfa

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Anyone else use this? I always get a few bales for winter just to use as treats basically for days they are stuck in the barn and to break up monotony. But heck, I like the compression because it saves up space but the last two years they have squished the heck out of them to the point there is so much powder. Gee whiz. I wish they wouldn't compress them that much. I ended up putting their handful in their feeder yestarday. How coo-coo. is that!!!!
default_frusty.gif

I still prefer it to alfalfa pellets because I like them having long stemmed forage but this is just getting stupid.

I couldn't find any alfalfa here locally this summer so I started buying it also....it was very green and leafy. I have been buying it since and they love it!

Mine love it..you are right about the powder though. The cubed hay is so hard lately, it has to be soaked. A problem in the cold for me and my arthritis lol. I just returned from a weeks trip to see family, my sons fed my 'good' hay I was keeping back for the cold weather. I see compressed alfalfa or cubes in our future
default_yes.gif

I use the Standlee compressed alfalfa bales that I get at Tractor Supply. Love it. It is often a bit powdery (sp?) but I feed it in a tub or bucket so as to not lose any and I carry a spray bottle of water with me and spritz the hay right after I dump it in.

Those bales really save on room

I use Standlee compressed alfalfa bales and Standless compressed Timothy bales. Love both products! Top quality hay in both. The alfalfa does get a bit powdery, but I feed it in a bucket or tub to not lose any.

The compressed bales are different than cubes. I also feed Standlee Alfalfa/Timothy cubes to my show horses. Generally soaked. The horses love them!

Last edited by a moderator:
My horses love it too, I cut the tops off of 50 gallon plasitc drums and put it in there for them. It is expensive but well worth the cost, as I only use it as a treat or supplement to their grass hay.

I buy Standlee alfalfa/timothy mixed pellets. My horses love them. It's just, as Marty said, to break up the same ole stuff. They get half a cup twice a day with their tbsp of Triple Crown 30.

Don't know that I've seen these at our TSC. I do feed the TNT chops - I like the alfalfa/timothy blend, as I also buy fresh alfalfa. Just use a liberal handful of the TNT with grain at dinner.

Jan

My guys get soaked alfalfa cubes/beet pulp mixed and I keep a bag of chopped forage and will get the compressed bales as a treat. The Tractor Supply I go to has the Alfalfa/Grass mix compressed bales so there is less powder and more leaves which I prefer and my guys like.

In my area, I dont think they sell well and are moved around and on the shelf a while. They are super dusty/powdery and made my horses cough a lot. I really like the TNT chops, they are still about 1 1/2 - 2" long pieces, but chopped, just not compressed like alfalfa cubes. There isnt a ton of molasses or oil either.

I bought one to try - it was about $19.00 for the bale, not really that heavy either. It is very dusty/powdery and does not even smell like alfalfa, although clearly it is alfalfa hay. Looks pretty but my guys are not really excited about it and prefer their grass hay. My Golden Toy won't even touch it! For that price I would expect them to gobble it up - I won't be buying any more....
default_thumbdown.gif

I buy these bales all the time and right now giving out the alfalfa/grass mix. I'm personally not a big fan of this type of hay by them. Now their orchard grass hay is very, very nice and I'm not sure if the company is completely sold out of this hay or what but my stores can't get it anymore.

The chopped alfalfa hay I can get locally is older and more brown than green. It is fine but not very many leaves at all. I still feed my bermuda hay but they do like some of the TSC alfalfa thrown in.

Coastal Farm carries the Standlee products in my area I havn't tried their products yet.Thanks for all the info you have my curiosity up and Im going to try this.

I have used Chaffee Haye which is wonderful and my minis love but Its not always in stock at our local feed store.

What is TNT chops? Im always looking for better hay options?

Since this got bumped up again.

I wanted to say that I have plenty of gorgeous orchard grass hay they eat on a regular basis. The compressed alfalfa was only used as a treat, like on days when they are stuck inside due to bad weather conditions. That's when I also feed beet pulp mash with chopped carrots and other treats to avoid boredom. (And watch me run over here crying that "ooh ooh my horses are too fat again). Ya think?
default_whistling.gif

So I just got another compressed bale the other day and true to form, its really super powdery and a couple of them began to cough on it. I even put it in their feeders so it wasn't on the floor, Its all dry and dusty. But that's it for me. They don't need it and I'm not going to buy another one. I could supplement with the alfalfa pellets I suppose but I do not trust the cubes at all soaked or not soaked. I guess if I am so worried about them being bored I could buy them a big screen tv, install computers in each stall, but them a nintendo, and sign them up for facebook.....ugh...I sure don't want them lurking about here!.
default_frusty.gif
:frusty
default_frusty.gif

What is wrong with me, I swear....

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back