Track Marks

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will second what afolk said... brand new blades should be soaked in blade wash before use as they are oiled with a protectant (so they stay nice and shiny in the package on the shelf) so they last longer.

I would think a new pair of blades would do more than three body clips on miniature sized animals. I've done a draft horse with one blade.

I personally don't mind the Double K clippers but probably wouldn't go out and buy them. I LOVE my Laube Lazors. They are lightweight and pretty quiet overall. Very versatile clippers. They do get hot, but I simply use two blades and switch back and forth as they get warmed up. I leave the hot pair of blades on the cool pavement to cool down until I need them. Also, clipping a wet horse fresh from a bath helps keep the blades cool and the horse less cranky. I give a good bath and go right for clipping!

For best results, I try to have my clippers serviced once a year. I know I could do it myself but like to have parts replaced as needed. They simply clean and oil in side and replace the lever for the most part, but my set currently needs a new faceplate so I might have to send them in this winter now that show season is done.

Good luck

Andrea

Okay, now I'm thinking I better get them serviced. Is there anyone in particular you folks would recommend?
default_unsure.png

After reading this I'm wondering too if something is amiss with mine. Mine are new. I've only used them about 6 times and I did wash my blades first as the instructions stated. I also made sure I used a silicone oil as recommended as well. I ordered both Oster and Andis blades plus a pair of cryogen blades, I think they are Osters and were really expensive at TS to see which I liked better. The Andis did do better than the Osters. I think I'll give the Company a call and see what they say about possibly needing service.

Mayflowerfarm: My door is always open. Come on down. A little Fl vacation is something everyone up north needs.
default_biggrin.png

Yes I would have them serviced, as stated by some others I would say somethings not right.

I prefer to clip a very damp horse - (on my show horses that are sporting shorter hair) I wash and straight to clipping when they are wet.......I am one that once I start clipping I just like to get it over with and keep clipping and will clip about 8, all with the same blade, and it not getting hot either.... (other than when I change for detailed different blades like on the head it's the same blade)

I prefer to run mine about 1/2 speed (my numbers are worn off) but I don't run it full blast as I get just as good of a clip running it much slower and I can clip a whole horse without the blades getting hot at all, wash the next one and with the same blades start again.

Check your little black lever to make sure it's not worn as others have stated, if your blades are leaving tracks are they noisy as well? If so and they are sharp they probably just need adjusted, you can find good info on Kim Laubes website about this stuff to check. As check your cable and make sure it's not bad.......I've had to replace mine once, but had the clippers 15 or so years, if they get kinks or stepped on too much or twisted in the wrong spots it can cause the clippers to not be as smooth.

I send mine out to Ft. Worth Shaver and have them serviced only once a year unless I'm having issues.

Latest posts

Back