topical treatment for lice

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choklitbean

Reaction score
I have a very itchy gelding who has come up with scabs all over and called the vet clinic. When I asked about lice she told me about a topical treatment called Silence that was supposed to work like Advantage does for fleas. 1cc per 100lbs along the back. I did an online search and can't find anything. Has anyone heard of this? If so, is it safe for mini's?

Here's a link to what I found.http://www.drugs.com/vet/cylence-pour-on-insecticide.html

Seems the name is spelt cylence. But it says that it is used on beef and dairy cattle. I recommend doing more digging on it, before you use it. Just because cattle are whole different realm than horses
default_smile.png
hope this helps

I've only ever used ProZap Insectrin dust when I have lice issues.

With GREAT success I have used a product for dogs for fleas and ticks that has the chemical ingredient Premethrin(spelling ?) I buy the size for large dogs-comes 2 tubes in 1 pkg.Clip the end off tube and start with 1 tube from poll down to base of mane.Net tube start at base of tail and apply along back to end of mane.I application usually does it and can even be used in winter with very hairy horses. I have used it several times and keep it on hand in my barn.

I have only used farnam horse lice duster and coral cattle duster (can be used on horses at reduced dose) and ivermectin for sucking lice. It is okay to use drugs off label as long as your vet advises you on how to use it. I would just call the vet's office and double check dosages and treatment duration before using things not labeled for horses.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back