Top 12 Reasons People Voted Democrat in 2008

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jill would it be crossing a line or in poor taste for me to post a Top Twelve list of what criteria you use to purschase your Horses.
James, I think it would be wrong and against the rules to start a thread targeted at any individual forum member. That's not what I've done.

If you're trying to get my goat, I guess horses aren't the way. I'm not insecure or self conscious about the horses I decide to own. I know that Harvey and I lucky to have some really outstanding animals in our herd.

Why not come up with a "Top 12" list of why people voted Republican in 2008? If it were toned like the list I posted, I'd even crack a smile
default_yes.gif

I agree with Jill in that if you dont like the subject, dont read it, or if you do, walk away if you dont like it. Everyone has their own opinions about everything in life and you can get upset about it all, or agree to disagree. If folks can't have a sense of humor about things in life, it could become an ugly ugly place.

Folks need to pick their battles, and dont waste energy on things that are out of your control. It will not change Jill's mind, or probably anyone else's, by posting when many folks are very passionate about their thoughts and beliefs- and their humor. And if people can't laugh at themselves, well..........

James, I think it would be wrong and against the rules to start a thread targeted at any individual forum member. That's not what I've done.
But to be fair, you have done it in the past - repeatedly. And that is one reason the political threads were banned for a while - they got personal just because someone did not agree with someone or chose to have different political views (instead of following one line of thought exclusively).

Just as you made it personal with your little Voting in the next election, Tag? dig.
default_rolleyes.gif

Whatever.
default_wink.png

I can disagree with others politically and yet we can still discuss political issues civilly and share our views *waves at miniwhinny* - without being dismissive of each other's thoughts, concerns and opinions. Who knows, we may even learn something along the way.

Many of us read opinions from all sides and use a variety of media ... that helps give us a better idea of what is going on. You never get an accurate view if you shut out anything that is even remotely contrary to your "comfort zone" or belief system. I even watch Glenn Beck fairly regularly late at nght - and the kind of conspiracy-driven fearmongering and somewhat pompous lecturing down to his "fans" that he delights in is completely removed from me - but I think it is important to listen to all viewpoints.

IMO Red Eye and the Daily Show do a much better job with politics than all the supposed "serious" talking heads.

The viral email that started this thread was somewhat amusing and a bit lame at times
default_laugh.png
- sort of like a ho-hum Jay Leno routine... as most of those things are. Not a big deal to me... I can laugh at it!
default_biggrin.png

And as I said to Mark - I do not like the term tea-bagger... and IMO there is no reason for us to carry on like some of the hateful types that were videoed in TP lines and lines for Palin rallies (she would have been embarrassed by the way some of those people acted). The extreme rhetoric and overreacting at either end of the spectrum should not be what we take our cues from... JMO.

I agree with Jill in that if you dont like the subject, dont read it, or if you do, walk away if you dont like it.
HGF, you do not think people should be able to voice their own opinions about a topic? If you disagree, you should just shut up and walk away? I agree that one should not get hostile and upset but polite, healthy political discussion is a good thing... :
default_unsure.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not mind a good debate, which is why I reply. For me this debate has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with how people express their opinions and in this case use humor as an excuse to insult and demean people who see things differently. Forum rules or not, the Top Twelve List I mentioned would be wrong. The only reason I chose horses is because I know we are both active, passionate and educated when it comes to them. Therefore it would be arrogant of me to assume that I am so superior to you that I could post something insulting and demeaning your horse choices. Of course we can’t admit that, because that would make this list just as insulting.

I pick this battle because I feel it is the MOST important one, maybe a bit bigger of a battle than some saw this, but one that I have thought about extensively for the past 2 years. The way seemingly honest and fair people rationalize in their own minds their wrong doings is the real root of most problems in this world. From insulting jokes at the expense of others to problems in our Miniature Horse registries to the current situation our Country is in. Some may think I am overreacting or blowing this out of proportion, but therein lies the problem.

"Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles."

I agree with Jill in that if you dont like the subject, dont read it, or if you do, walk away if you dont like it. Everyone has their own opinions about everything in life and you can get upset about it all, or agree to disagree. If folks can't have a sense of humor about things in life, it could become an ugly ugly place.

Folks need to pick their battles, and dont waste energy on things that are out of your control. It will not change Jill's mind, or probably anyone else's, by posting when many folks are very passionate about their thoughts and beliefs- and their humor. And if people can't laugh at themselves, well..........
Thanks, Laurie
default_smile.png

Tagalong, there is a difference in 'healthy discussion' where everyone views their own opinions- and we ALL have them and borderlining or actually, personally attacking someone, regardless of their opinions.

I took some of the comments made as more of a personal attack on the OP, rather than the discussion itself, which was humor about why people voted as they did. The OP was not pointed at anyone in particular here, however it seems to be turned into an attack on the person who made the OP. And it seems that particular people were offended by the post. That is ok, but dont attack the poster- you can say you disagree without being mean to the OP or degrading them. Attacking the OP or someone else who offers their opinions on it is not 'healthy discussion' to me.

And I agree with you that it is good to listen to all kinds of views and opinions on things and then take it all with a grain of salt. I just find it odd that people take a political joke (or any joke) and turn it into something totally personal as if it were directed at them.

Folks, it's Friday- let's all relax and look forward to a wonderful weekend.
default_aktion033.gif

I have always noticed that people will never laugh at anything that is not based on truth.

- Will Rogers

Laurie, I was never personally attacking Jill. My point was that weather it is a personal attack or degrading “joke” about a group, both are out of line. As I write that, I seem to remember a time when the idea of a degrading Joke about a group was actually the bigger offence . . .

I

I. The way seemingly honest and fair people rationalize in their own minds their wrong doings is the real root of most problems in this world. From insulting jokes at the expense of others to problems in our Miniature Horse registries to the current situation our Country is in. "Whenever evil wins, it is only by default: by the moral failure of those who evade the fact that there can be no compromise on basic principles."
James... you are very wise and honestly I think this statement above is one of the best things I have ever read on this forum

As for the rest of this dribble.. I do wonder why the need to post such things. It is clear Jill will never change any minds with her political threads even if the posts by her are snide, rude, mean spirited or tunnel visioned.. and why others try to "make" her see her comments as such.

Total waste of time and doesnt seem like the comments will stop-

seems to me (although the world rarely runs according to Lisa) that the best way to stop the insults and snide remarks would be to simply ignore these threads let the 2 or 3 people that feel this way post away with eachother and everyone else let it go.. perhaps only then will they stop?

Oh well just my thoughts.. frankly I try to not let politics get in the way of my personal feelings for anyone - we all have different life experiences which bring us to the ideals we have.. but that said.. intolerance on any level is really unacceptable to me be it about race, religion, sexual orientation or politics but hey that is just me

James... you are very wise and honestly I think this statement above is one of the best things I have ever read on this forum

As for the rest of this dribble.. I do wonder why the need to post such things. It is clear Jill will never change any minds with her political threads even if the posts by her are snide, rude, mean spirited or tunnel visioned.. and why others try to "make" her see her comments as such.

seems to me (although the world rarely runs according to Lisa) that the best way to stop the insults and snide remarks would be to simply ignore these threads let the 2 or 3 people that feel this way post away with eachother and everyone else let it go.. perhaps only then will they stop?

Oh well just my thoughts.. frankly I try to not let politics get in the way of my personal feelings for anyone - we all have different life experiences which bring us to the ideals we have.. but that said.. intolerance on any level is really unacceptable to me be it about race, religion, sexual orientation or politics but hey that is just me
Lisa, over the years, I've found it amusing to see how many times you chime in with your two cents on a thread you think is heated or controversial, and then advise others to basically not fan the flames. The contrast between your advice and your action is ironically amusing.

Thanks for the invite to play Jill
default_poke.gif
but on this occasion I will choose to take the higher road - LIke I said in my post nothing I say will change the way you choose to address others on political threads and nothing you say will change how I feel about politics -likewise nothing I say will have any change or effect on you and your opinions on this matter

Hope you have a wonderful weekend playing your foals - boy I miss having those cute little babies to play with I know I will be making the best of my weekend as well!

Thanks for the invite to play Jill
default_poke.gif
but on this occasion I will choose to take the higher road - LIke I said in my post nothing I say will change the way you choose to address others on political threads and nothing you say will change how I feel about politics -likewise nothing I say will have any change or effect on you and your opinions on this matter

Hope you have a wonderful weekend playing your foals - boy I miss having those cute little babies to play with I know I will be making the best of my weekend as well!
Lisa, I'm glad to see you decided to change course. Since we're friends, maybe you can see how my feelings were a little hurt. Your interpretation doesn't match up at all with my actual intent. Have a great weekend at your show -- hope you get lots of good ribbons!

I can disagree with others politically and yet we can still discuss political issues civilly and share our views *waves at miniwhinny* - without being dismissive of each other's thoughts, concerns and opinions. Who knows, we may even learn something along the way.
HAHA waving back at ya
default_wink.png
Maybe that's because we're well traveled, well educated individuals who are self confident enough to want to value other opinions and have manners enough to listen.

I don't know why people even pay attention. If some mome came on and told me not to talk on political threads I'd simply tell them not to read my posts HAHAHAHAHHAHA. Post away Tag.
default_aktion033.gif
There's a whole bunch of us who value your opinion whether you're voting or not - lol face it - half the Americans who can vote aren't going to
default_wink.png

Just remember

"Haters gonna Hate"
default_biggrin.png

haters_gonna_hate.gif

Your resident forever hippy has arrived. PEACE! LOVE! FLOWER POWER! Make love, not war is the only answer!
default_biggrin.png

Now is the time for us to all join hands and sing a great chorus of Kumbaya and reflect.

GIVE PEACE A CHANCE!

(I think in a past life I must have been related to John Lennon, very wise man!)

This is for your dining pleasure. Enjoy with my compliments.

Interestingly enough, the same ridiculous junk can be found mocking republicans.......... for your reading pleasure
default_smile.png

12 Reasons to Vote Republican in 2012

1) Because Jesus said "Thou shall give tax cuts to the obscenely wealthy."

2) If you believe the government should stay out of your life! Unless of course, it's at the doctors, at the church, in the bedroom, involves guns, or a woman's body.

3) Because despite the only reference to God in any government documents from the Founding Era is the word "Creator" in the Declaration of Independence, which isn't actually a governing document, we are a Christian Nation founded on Christian principles!

4) Because even though gay marriage wouldn't affect my marriage, it's still wrong! (Look what Jesus said about it! Oh wait...)

5) Because women don't NEED rights, dangit!

6) Because we need to help those who were born able to help themselves!

7) Because rich people need tax breaks more than poor people need food!

8) Because we need to invade countries and outspend the rest of the world combined on defense instead of fixing our schools!

9) Because lower taxes magically increases jobs and increases revenue!*

10) Because lower spending magically increases jobs and increases revenue!*

11) Regulations are for European hippies! God will save the environment! Jesus Jesus Jesus, God, the Bible, guns, Amen.

12) Because science is a global conspiracy. We don't need to ejumacate our kids about no evolution or no global climate change! God will save the environment! Jesus Jesus Jesus, God, the Bible, guns, Amen.

*Giving more guns to everyone would also have the same effect.

See, don't you get it now? We all have to vote Republican in 2012 to save 'Merica!

Interestingly enough, the same ridiculous junk can be found mocking republicans.......... for your reading pleasure
default_smile.png

Darn, I was hoping it might be at least a little funny! I'll try at least to crack a smirk in my replies.
1) Because Jesus said "Thou shall give tax cuts to the obscenely wealthy."

See 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 below.

2) If you believe the government should stay out of your life! Unless of course, it's at the doctors, at the church, in the bedroom, involves guns, or a woman's body.

Republicans advocate for more government control at the doctors' offices? In church? With Guns? ... pretty much just the oposite.

3) Because despite the only reference to God in any government documents from the Founding Era is the word "Creator" in the Declaration of Independence, which isn't actually a governing document, we are a Christian Nation founded on Christian principles!

We are in large a Christian nation, and our Nation doesn't benefit when faith is ridiculed.

4) Because even though gay marriage wouldn't affect my marriage, it's still wrong! (Look what Jesus said about it! Oh wait...).

I personally support equal marriage rights for all committed couples and hope the GOP will update some views in that department -- however, it is personally very far down on my list of concerns when we have things like National Security and the economy on which to focus.

5) Because women don't NEED rights, dangit!

Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Laura Ingraham... just a small sample of some pretty high profile and powerful republican women.

6) Because we need to help those who were born able to help themselves!

Sorry I wasn't born needing a handout and have been paying my own way since I was 16. I'm just so ashamed.

7) Because rich people need tax breaks more than poor people need food!

Anyone getting a paycheck from someone on welfare?

8) Because we need to invade countries and outspend the rest of the world combined on defense instead of fixing our schools!

Get the unions out of schools and be rid of the dead weight teachers they shelter and watch that system stop bleeding students and money.

So when the governement raises your boss' taxes, and you lose your job -- how does that make you better off? (oh, you probably have a union school job...)

10) Because lower spending magically increases jobs and increases revenue!*

Check the math -- lower spending means less revenue (tax dollars) spent and more left over / less of a deficit. Really. Get out your calculator and see if it's not true!

11) Regulations are for European hippies! God will save the environment! Jesus Jesus Jesus, God, the Bible, guns, Amen.

The USA shouldn't emulate a European welfare state. Notice what's been going on over there?

12) Because science is a global conspiracy. We don't need to ejumacate our kids about no evolution or no global climate change! God will save the environment! Jesus Jesus Jesus, God, the Bible, guns, Amen.

Did you hear about the faked reports and dishonest science / descredited scientists behind the Global Warming and Green Movement. Oh, snap... They didn't cover that on NPR and MSNBC.

*Giving more guns to everyone would also have the same effect.

So, is this the part where I get to show off my concealed weapons permit?!?!

See, don't you get it now? We all have to vote Republican in 2012 to save 'Merica!

God Bless The USA.

[/color]

[/color]

Get the unions out of schools and the dead weight teachers they shelter and watch that system stop bleeding students and money.

So when the governement raises your boss' taxes, and you lose your job -- how does that make you better off? (oh, you probably have a union school job...)
Thank you for reminding us, Jill. I had forgotten that the EVIL teachers are the ones who have caused the downward spiraling of the economy and are destroying our country! How silly of me! I thought it was the greed of the bankers handing out unsecured loans to whoever wanted them to boost their bottom line, and then getting bailed out and walking away unscathed with their golden parachutes. But you are absolutely right - dead weight teachers are the majority in this country,instead of the small minority of the thousands of dedicated teachers and THAT is why our country is currently in this economic mess.

By all means, let's "break the backs of the unions in our schools" (Ohio Governor John Kasich). That will fix everything!
default_rolleyes.gif
And you know, those union school jobs are SO cushy! Jill, I can't exactly remember what your job is - but I believe it is some sort of financial advisor to wealthy clients. Tell me, how many of your wealthy clients that you advise were school teachers? And I don't mean that the wife taught while the husband worked in his CEO job - but that the main source of their income was from teaching in a public school. I would really like to know that percentage. Because the way you make it sound, I can't believe the corporate world isn't knocking me over to get to my teaching job!

Barbara (a public school teacher in Ohio who is NOT a member of a union, married to a public school teacher who IS)

CharlesFamily said:
Tell me, how many of your wealthy clients that you advise were school teachers? And I don't mean that the wife taught while the husband worked in his CEO job - but that the main source of their income was from teaching in a public school.
Off the top of my head on this Sunday morning, I can think of 19 of my clients by name who are or were teachers. As to being the primary bread winner... are you diminishing the value of working if you're not the primary breadwinner? Vilifying corporate America? (Feeling a tinge hypocritical?) Class warfare, much?

Um, no - I am absolutely not diminishing the value of working if you are not the primary breadwinner. But there is a difference in income when say, like our family, both are teachers and when some are like our friend Karen, who has retired, but was a fantastic art teacher. But her husband owns several car dealerships. There is a HUGE difference in our yearly income. That is what I was saying. I wanted to know the percentage of your clients where teaching was their main/primary occupation (the one that made the most or equal money in the marriage). I'm still unclear how you got class warfare out of my statement, but hopefully you understand now what I was asking.

And, nope - not feeling hypocritical, just felt like going on the attack when I feel attacked - that's all!

I don't understand your goal here, Barbara...

In order to really benefit from my services, a person or couple really needs to have accumulated something of a size I can work with and enhance.

People know salary levels and earnings potentials when they select their careers.

I don't get where you're going but am going to have to figure you're not personally soliciting my services.

Am I supposed to be shamed over my client and marketing demographic? ... gotta pay the overhead, staff and myself.

Are teachers who have high earning spouses not as worthy? As teachers? Or my clients?

What's the point in plain English? You've lost me.

Latest posts

Back