Germany bans young horse training

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryFlora

Staff member
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
An interesting article is found online in Horse and Hound magazine, titled Germany’s Decision to Ban Training Young Horses for Sport.

This ban affects young horses up to the age of 30 months, but oddly doesn’t affect race horses (which in my opinion, should).

While it doesn’t affect us, it will certainly impact German horse people, and probably their wider European market.

I wouldn’t think it would affect German mini horse owners and trainers, but I guess it could!

I'm not sure but it sounds like you are not allowed to do any training before 30 months. It doesn't really specify anywhere if training only means riding. Which would mean you cannot halter train them, train them for the farrier, or pretty much handle them at all. Trying to get around it by calling it "educating" them is probably not going to fly. I find it interesting that they are only stopping the average horse owner or trainer, yet letting the big money racing industry go on just like before.

Well, I don't know anyone who would want to halter break a 2 1/2 year old unhandled warmblood stallion. This sounds nuts.
I really wish the racing industry would come to an end but they seem to be untouchable.

Latest posts

Back