too many babies and yearlings here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolcrit

Reaction score
I have never sold a baby for the last three years they are sooo cute I am now in ill health so must do something where can i sell them has anyone ever done the waverly sale in Iowa tell me about it can i drive a horse in the ring??? help me if you can thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't been to a Waverly sale in about 10 years, but I do think you can drive them in the ring there. Do call and ask. I have heard through friends that the prices are a disappointment there (for the seller) but that is true at most sales. Your best bet is to make sure to have some good training on them, at the sales I've gone to in Iowa that is what sells higher than anything.

What part of Iowa are you located (if comfortable giving out that info, and general is fine as well!)

From what I've seen and heard, prices these days are generally VERY low at general auctions, for all horses, not just miniatures. Horses that are well-groomed, at a good weight, and trained to do something (like drive) bring in the most money, but even then it may not be much.
default_no.gif
The last sale I heard about had a basically bomb-proof driving mini gelding go through, cute as a button, and he brought $150. :DOH! Just please be careful that your horses don't go so cheaply that they go to slaughter; even though slaughter has been banned in the United States, there are still killer buyers that purchase horses (cheaper than ever) and ship them to either Canada or Mexico to be slaughtered. That's a LONG, miserable trip for a horse, with only death at its conclusion.

I'm so sorry to hear about your ill health.

HI Carol, I know of someone who took horses to the last Waverly sale. They were miniatures and she ended up no saleing all of them because of the prices being so low. Sales in the midwest are horrible, as they are all over. Because of some health problems here I also wanted to cut back by about 10 horses...I have sold 3 but I did get my price. At Waverly they do have a seperate time for miniatures. I would be very careful about selling at a sale. You just never know WHO the buyer is. MY hubby and a friend have gone to alot of the Waverly sales but always bought and sold percherons. Good Luck.

I didn't even know there was a mini auction in Waverly, but I bought horses from the Webster City sale this year, and they were well below their value even as some of the high sellers. Nicely bred, registered, correct colts were going for less than $100. Driving your mini in is an excellent idea though--the high seller at the Webster City sale was a mare that was driven.

Latest posts

Back