TONIGHT could be THE night......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kynedi's Mom

Reaction score
default_please.gif
: HI everyone, I have been here a few times before & love reading all the info. you guys can give, so please feel free to give some more. I have been watching our mare for awhile now, I bought her bred with the previous owner stating that she was exposed March to May. This morning when I went out to feed ( we DO NOT live on the same property in which she is staying, but are about 5 min. away) she was very slow to come up to the barn, her bag is very full & she doesn't want anyone near it! Her flank is hollowed & I did get a brief glimpse of her backside & I think that it is quite relaxed. She has been much friendlier than usual & just stood for me while I combed & loved her. My husband says that he saw lots of fetal movement this afternoon. Should I be worried ? I planned to be checking on her frequently through the night. After everything that I have read on the forum & marestare, I feel like this could really be it !

Good Luck! All advice will be appreciated here too! We had our first foal ever on Saturday evening. Not the mare we were expecting to foal first. Maiden mare had foal on her own between dinner and check 2 hours later. Everyone is great! It's a girl! Our only sign was that she didn't dive into dinner as normal and was somewhat bagged up, but not completely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with her. I remember in the days before we had a foal alert and camera we were checking the mares hourly around the clock. Seemed to go on forever and we sure were tired. hope you hold up!

It sounds like you're pretty close!! Does she have a "V" shaped stomach? When you look at her from the side does her stomach look like a v? That is usually a sign too. Ooooh I'm so excited for you!! Has this mare foaled before? It's so helpful if she has and knows what to do on her own. Good luck to you and she
default_yes.gif
: Keep us posted!!

It sounds like you're pretty close!! Does she have a "V" shaped stomach? When you look at her from the side does her stomach look like a v? That is usually a sign too. Ooooh I'm so excited for you!! Has this mare foaled before? It's so helpful if she has and knows what to do on her own. Good luck to you and she
default_yes.gif
: Keep us posted!!

Yes her tummy is V shaped & no she is a maiden - I just came in from checking on her- looked like she had been rolling around a little had bedding in her mane - she is just scratching like crazy, but mostly on her face & neck. Please keep us in your prayers - we are both "Maidens" at this foaling thing. I plan to ask my husband who is already sleeping to go out & check on her in a hour or two & if nothing then I will go again a little later ! It's a Full Moon
default_smile.png
! Wish us luck !

Good luck! You'll be in my thoughts tonight
default_yes.gif
:

Edited to add: My Mom and I rotate every hour all night long when we have mares due. Last year was a little better because we had a camera and our mares were all due a few weeks apart so we could use the camera for each mare. So instead we just woke up, checked the camera and then went back to sleep every hour... Phew we felt so much better!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
default_please.gif
: HI everyone, I have been here a few times before & love reading all the info. you guys can give, so please feel free to give some more. I have been watching our mare for awhile now, I bought her bred with the previous owner stating that she was exposed March to May. This morning when I went out to feed ( we DO NOT live on the same property in which she is staying, but are about 5 min. away) she was very slow to come up to the barn, her bag is very full & she doesn't want anyone near it! Her flank is hollowed & I did get a brief glimpse of her backside & I think that it is quite relaxed. She has been much friendlier than usual & just stood for me while I combed & loved her. My husband says that he saw lots of fetal movement this afternoon. Should I be worried ? I planned to be checking on her frequently through the night. After everything that I have read on the forum & marestare, I feel like this could really be it !

Is she waxed? Will she at least let you look under there? Waxed is baby will be out within 24 hours, dripping milk, is 12 hours, BUT my friend's QH mare foaled last month, she was waxed for maybe 4 hours, and dripped milk for 1 hour, went into labor at 10:45am, baby was out at 11:05 am.

Waxed is baby will be out within 24 hours, dripping milk, is 12 hours
Remember though, these mares don't read the book.
default_rolleyes.gif
: I've had mares drip milk for days before foaling, and I've had them foal with no bag at all. Waxing too can go on longer than 24 hours. The only thing that's for sure with foaling mares, is that nothing is for sure. :bgrin

Sounds like your mare is pretty close, I'd stay with her as much as you can. I've been staying up with one for 4 nights now, absolutely knew she would foal last night but we are still waiting.....thank goodness for cameras LOL.

Jan

I just foaled my first baby last month with lots of help from the forum! Did you read up about milking Mama with a syringe and feeding baby? I found that to be a lifesaver! Literally!!! Good Luck!

P.S. And lots of PRAYERS!

Any news? Did she foal? Anyway you can SLEEP out in the barn with her? (I have done that when farm sitting for friends who were out of town).

Good luck!

JJay

No baby yet
default_sad.png
, Hubby did go out last night/ this am about 3:30 then I was back out before going to work, she seemed so unhappy that I decided to let her out a while but when I came back a couple of hours later she was still hanging close to the barn. Noticed that her bowels were a little loose too. She isn't really eating her hay like she usually does & as long as I'm brushing her belly she is completely still. Like I said before I am a first timer & I live about 5 Min. from her, I would love to go out & sit with her , but I am the only nurse working that rest of the week & need to be somewhat sharp, - i think I will go & check her again now - Please keep your thoughts & prayers coming ! Thanks to all !

I hope no news is good news and all went well last night - and either you have a live foal -- or a mare still driving you crazy waiting to foal when you are not around.

JJay

Check her more often than 3:30 and before work, it only can take a matter of 15 minutes for a foal to arrive, serious tragedy could strike in a time span of 20 minutes

Rob is correct, with these mini mares you HAVE to be there when they foal. There is a much higher rate of dystocia (difficult birth) with minis than big horses. I lost my first mini foal and if I wouldn't have been there I for sure would have lost my mare too. We live 10 minutes from one of the best horse hospitals in the country, and they could not save my foal. If you cannot be there for your mare, you really should try to get her someplace where she can be under observation. You seriously do not want the terrible heartache that I went through losing a baby and if you lost your mare...it would be devastating.

hi :saludando: i just wanted to wish you luck and hopefully youll have some good news for us all soon :lol:

Latest posts

Back