To Blanket or not to blanket?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodAcres

Reaction score
I have 2 boys that are partial clipped (head and necks) but not the full head just the jawline down. I put a blanket on them because we've had super cold rain lately and i felt bad because they're half shaved. Should I worry about them? I dont want them to lose the loft of their coats but I want them to stay warm as well. I am in Indiana so we get some pretty nasty weather and its suppose to be in the 70s and 80s next week.

Nope, wouldn't blanket. But also wouldn't clip and let the coat grow back in.

I agree with DisneyHorse. Two reasons: health & safety. As long as your horses can get out of the rain/snow/sleet free choice - it is FAR better not to blanket. Mother nature will take care of them and grow the coat necessary for your conditions. If you blanket - you will press their hair down on their backs and that prevents any natural "loft" to their hair, which in fact a MUCH better insulator than a blanket. And with blanketing, there is the risk of a leg getting hung up, etc.

When I lived up in northern Wisconsin - I never blanketed, and I never stalled my horses. They all had free-choice to go into snug shelters, but hardly ever used them. They became walking snow drifts. The only time they regularly used the shelters was in the summer to get out of the sun. Never had any snotty noses, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
I blanket when we get cold rain and wind. Wind cuts through even lofty fluffy coats sometimes. They do have access to shelter but I still blanket during fall/spring cold rainstorms. I keep an eye on the weather anyway so if a storm is headed our way I put their blankets on. When it's over I take them off. Never had a problem with their coats staying matted down.

During snow and cold I do not blanket. Never seemed to need it. Just for wet and windy.

I am in CT and have one that was head and neck clipped and 3 that were fully clipped because they are all going to Equine Affaire in 3 weeks. Only the fully clipped ones are getting blankets/rain sheets when I feel the need. The other one still has hair over her back and on the body parts that are most critical to keep warm. Plus a blanket won't cover her head and neck anyway. As soon as the hair on the clipped ones grows back they won't be getting blankets either, unless one is sick or shivering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I was just worried as I didnt want anyone to get sick. It was so nice (70s) when they were clipped and now its getting cold again (low 30s).

I would have left the blankets off. They'll get used to having them on and won't tolerate the cold temps as well. I have one mare that I usually have to blanket each winter (I didn't as much last winter due to the milder temps.) due to her shivering; once the temps dip below -5 Celsius, I don't have a choice...she will expend soooo much energy shivering constantly. I don't need to blanket my other two. So my answer is no, if you don't have to. But if you see a horse shivering/not tolerating cold, then yes
default_smile.png

I have been trying to decide if I should do a partial clip for my driving mini. He'll be driven off and on thru the winter (live in NE Penn) and the main reason would be for the sweating and cooldown. When he gets hot, his energy really sags. But he is outside full time with the others and have access to shelter. So I'm torn between him sweating like crazy when we drive, or the clipping some which would require some blanketing (what a pain). I would likely only clip on chest and haunches near tail, where the blanket would cover.

Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back