Tips for feeding for weight loss??

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlesFamily

Reaction score
I just brought home another gelding to add to our herd tonight. He's 3 years old, approximately 30 inches tall and about 36" wide!!
new_shocked.gif
Okay - maybe not that much, but he is VERY round.

What have you had success with in feeding to get weight off of a horse. He is definitely not in a healthy condition right now. We are in Central Ohio - getting ready to go into winter. The horses are turned out daily onto a dry lot. They are fed grain and hay morning and evening.

My other horses are in good weight, but what program would you recommend for my new little chunk-ums?

Thanks for the help!

Barbara

IMO a lot would have to do with what he was getting before. If he was overfed, then your program may be just fine for him to lose. Next, if yours are allowed free access to hay, this may be an issue for him, or not.

Obviously you want to feed what he should have at the weight/size he should be and consideration given to his possibly needing a touch more until his system gets used to that amount. The feed he was used to may or may not have been less nutritional, more volume, etc. Was he in a group feeding, or individual -- and how does that compare with your setup.

I would start with what, when, how much he WAS getting........also, consider any exercise he is used to and will be getting.

Thank you for the reply!

She had him on a pelleted feed similar to Strategy, and said she only gave him a "handful." So not sure exactly how much that was. She did realize how overweight he is. He was the only mini and was with her two riding horses. He had 24/7 turnout into a very nice 10 acre pasture. So I'm thinking just not having access to all of that nice grass might help out, too. She said that he did lose some weight in the winter - so I'm thinking the grass did play a part.

I also think she was feeding hay in addition to the grass, and I think maybe he was eating more than his share of the big horses' hay. So you are right, maybe just getting him on the same regiment that my other minis get will be enough to help him slim down. Here's hoping!

Thanks!

Barbara

The tiny ones seem to have a harder time staying fit. For sure being off all that grass will help. Just remember to take it off slowly so you dont have dropped crest problems etc.

I've had very good luck using quality hay and a low carb - low starch pellet. We've been using this pellet for a few years and our minis that were too fat or a little cresty no longer are. It has 12% protein, 6% fat, and 20% fiber. Our horses all look great and have plenty of energy as well.

Like Jill the important thing is to feed a low carb low starch diet. My really easy keepers I feed a product called Dynasty Pride. Its in cube form, fantastic for those that really need to slow down their eating. Its also a complete feed. It has 12.5% protein, 3.5% fat, 16% fiber.

You may also want to check your boys thyroid and glucose level. Make sure he doesn't have anything wrong in that area.

Thank you everyone for your replies! They have been very helpful!

I turned him out this afternoon and he's running his little legs off around the dry lot right now - so that's got to be good for him! I think 24 hours off of the grass has already decreased some of the "bloat." Or maybe I'm just getting used to him.
wink.gif

He looks like a little tank, but I'm sure he will look better once he gets some of the weight off - although "refined and delicate" are words that I doubt will be used to describe Frankie!
wub.gif
Although I am impressed with how althletic he is even at this weight. Regardless of how he turns out we will love him anyway!

Barbara

Horses do bloat over grass especially if there is clover in it and or wet.

Back