Tips for cell phone and blue tooth devices

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorthorsemom

Reaction score
Hi All, I wanted to share a tip with you if you ever get your phone or blue tooth device wet.

Save those little moisture things they put in bottles and medicine in a baggie. They say "sorbit" or moisture pack or something like that. They are designed to suck up moisture and keep things dry, they put them in everything from medicine bottles to use for electronics when they are shipped. Anyway, save them up for emergencies.

A year ago my husband dropped his cell in a puddle. It appeared to be dead as a doornail. I put the phone in a ziplock with a bunch of those moisture packs for a week. At the end of the week, we charged the phone and it worked perfectly. It has kept working perfectly for a whole year now.

I may have thought this experience might be a fluke until recently when I splurged and bought myself a very nice bluetooth for $80. It was supposed to block out wind and back ground noise and I admit to being talked into it by some clever sales person.. (anyway, I was thinking to myself what an idiot I was to have that pricey device on my head while taking care of my horses but I admit the sound was terrific and people remarked about how the wind didn't howl into my earpiece.

Then the unthinkable happened two weeks after I got it, I swear it just jumped off my ear, did a one and a half with a twist and dove right into the horse water bucket. I was sunk.
default_no.gif

or so I thought. I immediately brought it into the house and put it in the zip lock full of those moisture packs for a whole week. I didn't even try to do anything with it, it was dead, wouldn't turn on, so I figured "what the heck"...

Yesterday, I plugged it in and lo and behold it was charging... It charged up perfect and works like new...
default_yes.gif

So, my overly chatty post advice is , save those little thingys that come in your medicine... keep them in a zip lock handy for drying out your electronic devices should you ever have an accident like we did with ours... try it, it works
default_aktion033.gif

Adair

Last edited by a moderator:
I throw those in my harness bags to help keep the tack from molding. For cell phones and other electronics, rice will do the job just as well as the silica packets!

Leia

....also dry rice works....take everything apart (battery) and put it in a bowl, cover with dry rice.

wow, I didn't know about the rice ... cool beans.

Maybe I could have used both. LOL, I was sick about the ear piece being ruined and felt like doing the happy dance when it worked a week later.
default_risa8.gif

I've never tried the rice, but I heard it works good. I'm always afraid of those little packets you were talking about, I make sure I pitch them, I'm afraid my dogs will get them. I'm in the market for a new smartphone and casio has one called commando or something like that...it is waterproof and crushproof to military standards (so they say)...I'm considering it as I drop my phone constantly and we spend alot of time at the lake in the summer.

Latest posts

Back