Time for everyone to come clean!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Echo Acres said, "Kind of makes me wonder if these larger breeders/trainers don't advertise these horses in order to selectively pick who they offer them to for sale? Were we not "big" enough farm for that special horse to go to? Do they not think we do well enough in the show ring?"

I don't know if Sherry implied this in her first post or not, but here are my impressions:

Sometimes people do not advertise a horse for sale, but sometimes they will sell. I do not think it is because a "big name farm" wants to buy or whether it is a beginner. Most of these big mini farms with good horses do not seem to discriminate at all on who they sell to, IMHO. Most seem very willing to help and encourage someone brand "new" or someone who has just a "small" or unknown farm. We are small and have good cooperation from all we've dealt with so far.

Communication seems to be the main thing.
default_smile.png
I don't mean advertising, but rather word of mouth if you've let people know you are looking for something in particular, farms will contact YOU to say they have something you might be looking for.

People get to know that Person A is looking for a bay stallion with a great topline and Person B is looking for a Yearling Filly 28" and under to show and Person C is looking for a homozygous black and white herd sire and Person D is looking for a good cremello broodmare or that Person E is looking for something flashy to show in Halter and then start as a driving prospect.

Perhaps if they've done business with a certain farm before and have a working relationship with them, it might seem that way, but I really do not believe that they would overlook a person who is serious about wanting a certain kind of horse just because they were not a "big name."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but do you think farms discriminate against the "small" farms?

Thank you for any comments to what I've written above.

I've gotten REALLY creative in my search. While talking to another lady re her mare for sale I told her I was looking for a palomino/pinto Boones Little Andy granddaughter she said she'd recalled one awhile back so I did a google with Palomino/Pinto Boones Little Andy and wala it brought up Post Rock Farms Aspen Gold and my now best friend Ginia's website.

I'm in the same boat you are. We know EXACTLY what we want and if it doesn't measure up after pictures and videos we don't buy, if thats a tire kicker I guess I'm one. I buy my horses for life so they need to meet my specs.

As far as big farms discriminating I don't think so, I think they are looking for the best home and the price asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have all of our horses on my website, just as i have the time to do such...with 50 or 60 horses though that some farms have, and constantly horses coming and going, i can see it being a hassle to update their sites with every horse.

I also would not recommend going off professional photos, although..they are nice to have for our websties for sure when we purchase a horse. I always have new photos of my horses available, and if any special photos are requested im normally prompt in getting those shots and sending them out, but having seen professional photos of horses...and then seeing them at the shows, you really would not know it was the same horse.

I must say though, Getitia's horses look just like they do in her photos, she has some very good and honest photos :)

I usually have everything listed for sale on my sales page, but am willing to entertain offers on certain horses that aren't on my sales page. However, we recently made the decision to reduce our number of minis for certain reasons (no, not the economy
default_rolleyes.gif
) and one mare went back to her previous owner without being advertised, and another mare may not ever make it to my sales page. I won't even offer her for sale until she foal, and even then I have a certain home in mind for her that would love to have her. If that person can't purchase her when the time comes, then I'll open it up to other people. However, the potential buyer I have for this mare has seen her and knows everything there is to know about her. She was a hard luck mare, and we're really fond of her, so we are going to be particular. Just because someone has the money for this mare, doesn't mean they will get her.

This is just to say that sometimes, there are valid reasons for horses not appearing on sales pages or offered publicly.

Good luck in your search!

Just a thought as you narrow down what is in your hearts desire~ ie/ Stallion ~ Mare ~ Gelding so on and the certain "LOOK" ~Body Style ~ Movement ~ Bloodlines, pay attention to those showing that type of horse, inquire if they currently have anything available that might suit your need, they may not at the time, but if you let them know what it is your looking for they certainly would let you know in the future..

We have each and every horse listed on our website, and normally only have afew horses per year offered forsale, one we breed very limitedly, and we have been building our herd to get it just where we want it to be... I expect in the very short future we may have afew more to sell.

If nothing else, research what " it " is that you are looking for and keep emailing ~ calling until you find ... "it"

[SIZE=12pt]You're absolutely correct there are SECRET barns.... and usually the trainers are the individuals that know exactly where they are located.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. Personally I wouldn't consider asking someone to sell there horse. That is unless I've had an opportunity to thoroughly evaluate the stallion and have concluded that it actually meets the criteria of our programs needs. If I still wasn't certain I'd seek out the assessment of a trusted professional trainer. Then if everything is in order you can approach them about a consideration. That way you can possibly save yourself from those awful instances when the other source doesn't appreciate an honest response. I personally watch what the trainers prefer in a mature stallion, I look at its accomplishments, offspring along with what it was introduced to in a breeding program. BEST SUGGESTION.. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2. The SECRET barns do exist with some trainers and others. But then on the other hand there are many individuals like myself that truly haven't had a chance to update their websites. We personally had eighteen foals this season and my husband/myself just can't seem find the time to get together on photos and guess what; you got it, we have two studs that will be presented by the trainers this next season that we don't have any photos of.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3. It's nice to select from the same reliable breeders, but it's even nicer to be able to improve on what we ALL may already have. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This is just my perspective on this post and is in no way meant to offend or insult anyone. [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Happy Holidays[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]Kimberle Young

[SIZE=12pt]Allure Ranch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://allureranch.com[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]http://www.allureranch.com/video/fury.wmv[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt] [/SIZE]

if u live in or near RI try Libertymere Farm, they have a website called libertymere.com but ill warn u that it hasnt been updated in 5 or 6 years. hope i helped!BYEEEEEE!!!!

This may have already been said, I didn't go through and read every ones response so I apologize in advance.

I have gotten most of my small heard by the internet. I have spent hours looking at websites and researching bloodlines till I found what I liked. From there I would ask breeders if they have what I'm looking for or I ask if they are interested in selling so and so. I've bought a lot by just asking.

And professional photo's are gorgeous but can also hide a false, well any photo can.

Good Luck in your search.

A few things that may be overlooked here are

If a person is looking for a horse and a particular breeder does not offer it up, but a thank you appears a month later in regards to the purchase of the horse, keep in mind, this transaction may have been in the works well before you entered the picture.

Another thing to keep in mind with well known breeders and trainers selling to others in a certain circle is they have the ability to horse barter. They have many horses in many sizes and colors, in each gender. If they want to trade a very nice stud for a few mares, a few young, nice prospective horses for one that a trainer has worked with, they have the selection of horses to make it happen.

There are also those breeders that have horses listed that are stated as Not For Sale at This Time, sometimes these horses are special to them, yes even bigger farms have special horses, sometimes they know maybe the market isn't good enough to get$10,000 for the horse, but if the right home comes along, maybe I'll offer that horse to them for $5000, but it is not going with just anyone, and it is not leaving for a song and a dance.

This leads to another point, some breeders don't offer up cartain horses because they simply may think they are out of your price range. It may not be the smartest way to approach things, but I always say I am looking for a horse under such and such a price, but non the less you want the most bang for your buck. While looking for a horse, lets say under $5000, you will get some fugleys and some mid range quality and some VERY nice horses, and some may cost under what you expected, and some way over inflated. It may catch the eye of those owners that have some great prospects.

The truth is there are LOTS of minis out there, when I look, I expect to spend a few months to find exactly what I want and I expect to spend a good amount on them, if one comes along for $2000 instead of $5000 and it is exactly what I want, great, but I don't care how much of a catch someone may say the horse is, if it isn't what I am looking for then I still wouldn't take it (even if it were free). I search and search and search, best bit of advise, save lots, spend wisely and buy responsably, this animal wil be with you a long time.

Sherry the vast majority of our horses are sold by our photos on our website, or those we send to the buyer.

I prefer to talk with my prospective clients and find out what they are looking for so that I can better assist them to find the right horse, or let them know we do not have what they are looking for.

I LOVE the internet, and could not be successful with out it. But it does have limitations.

It does me no good to sell a horse and have the buyer be unhappy with it. So my advise to you is what you have heard before on the forum:

1.) If you have difficulty before the purchase, you will have problems after.

2.) Work with people you can communicate with. Know what it is you are after and communicate that to them. They are not mind readers!

3.) Don't have unrealistic expectations; there is no PERFECT horse. But some are more perfect than others.

4.) Be realistic on your price; don't expect a National Grand Champion at the price of a grade horse. And yes, most likely the horse will be shipped to you so expect there will be a shipping cost too.

5.) A stallion is an important part of your breeding program. Most of mine I have bought as a colt and put in the years until they were ready. If you find a mature one that you want, it is a bonus! Snag it! But do not pass up a colt. He might be ready by the time you finally find a mature one that you like
default_wink.png

We sell a LOT of colts and stallions here. I would have to say in the last two years they have been the hottest item for us. Communicating with my clients and learning about their breeding program has allowed us to place horses that they can use to improve their breeding program. I am honored that people desire our horses and are willing to have them shipped to them worldwide.

It is not uncommon in the large horse world to simply pay a trainer (usually your own) but not always to find exactly what you are looking for. You have to pay a finders fee however that usually allows you to have access to many more horses as well as free trials and a whole network of clients. Often trainers go to barns picking prospects for the year and see horses in the pastures that might not yet be on the sales list but are exactly what you are looking for.

Just want to say that even though I've heard some very logical rationale to the contrary, Echo Acres is not being "thin skinned". I live in the same basic neighborhood and have had 2 trainers from our area tell me outright that their best horses they will only sell to certain buyers or "it won't do anything for me or my farm". So yes, some breeders and trainers do play god and decide what caliber of horse you need or deserve! Best advice, glam shots are great for drawing interest but they can make the worst horses look fabulous, so definitely opt for the the amateur snapshots or personal visits if feasible. Also realize that some amatuer photos are "created" by the owner through various means that don't necessarily mean photo editing, so buyer beware. I've been real lucky buying on the internet, but have also heard horror stories from those who didn't get as lucky. The other piece of advice is probably going to get me flamed, but I've found that if you look hard enough you can find gorgeous horses with great pedigrees from virtually unknown breeders for a fraction of the price of a lesser horse with comparible pedigree from a well known farm...in other words you are just paying for the designer label from the well known farm
default_wacko.png

We're not a big fancy outfit, but have been at it along time. And I do that all the time. I don't advertise some horses for sale as I have people that I know will be interested if the horse pans out. We have a lot of repeat buyers and you get to know what they want. Also if I like certain people I might sell them a certain horse that wasn't for sale before.

Also sometimes there are some that I just want to watch. So a lot of times the best ones have never been advertised for sale,but are, if someone comes to look.

Also there are a lot of people that want a secret horse that has not been plastered all over the internet. They don't want anyone to know that they bought it or how much they paid.

Kind of off the topic. But there are things you can do when people come to look at your horses to make them sell better also.

Three of my favorites are-

1. Hold the feed for stalled horses, if you can, for a few hours. When you walk into the barn with your guests. Those heads and ears will be up over the gates.

2. If you are showing people group of say yearlings, or whatever, and you have 8 of them- 6 good and 2 extra special. Get those extra special ones to another area, They will make your good ones look not so good. Don't hide them just move them.

2. Try not to show people your horses from noon to 5 in the afternoon on a hot North Dakota summer day.

Latest posts

Back