Threw My Hay Nets Away!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm wondering how your pony got his foot caught in a net that only has 1 inch holes.
default_wink.png
The material stretched. That's the only thing I can figure. I guess with the right amount of pawing at it, he finally stretched it big enough for his foot to go in. I really didn't think it would stretch that much. It did though!

I don't even allow hay nets in my barn, all the hay nets went to the trash can a long time ago...NO WAY.....

It kind of seems with my ponies, if it can happen...it will happen, so just going to save myself the vet bill and heart attack ahead of time!

I use those tennis nets with the 1" holes but only for the big horses. They work GREAT! We put a whole round bale in them and we have no waste and they eat 24/7. The company we bought the net from does have 1/2" and 1/4" holes which is what I will get for the minis. It's wonderful to be able to feed hay once every two weeks instead of twice a day.

I'm glad your little guy didn't get hurt. The old style hay nets are dangerous thats why I'm glad we found these for the BIG horses as we trail ride overnight a lot and the horses are picketed these 1" nets can dangle and they can't get hung up in them.

If you don't have big horses give them to a friend or sell them. They are for sale on the internet for alot more than the netting cost by the foot.

You can pull them diagonally and make the holes wider.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have big horses give them to a friend or sell them. They are for sale on the internet for alot more than the netting cost by the foot.

You can pull them diagonally and make the holes wider.
Mine were home made. My hubby found the netting in a car. I am just guessing it was some sort of fishing net. Not really sure. I just cut a foot to 2 foot section off and strung rope through the edges. Then when pulled tight it made the net. I don't think anyone would be interested in it.

I think the 1/2 inch or even 1/4 inch would be good for them. I would think there would be no way to get a foot through those spaces. I better just stick with the slow feeder boxes though! LOL

I'm so glad you were there Kim. Those busy snackers sound very interesting. Safer too.
default_yes.gif

Could someone describe/post a pic of what you are calling a slow feeder box please? I am trying to understand how it works, how the horses reach the hay. Thanks.

Anna

OH, and I had the net hanging about head level to the horses. Maybe 2 ft off the ground. Not really high and not low, so I thought.
Well, aren't all miniatures devious little devils who will find any way possible to compromise their safety despite all our precautions? They are just stinkers! Good thing you were there!!

Well, aren't all miniatures devious little devils who will find any way possible to compromise their safety despite all our precautions? They are just stinkers! Good thing you were there!!
Yah, that is for sure! I went out and fed the boys at their 5pm feeding. Then went back out for the 8pm hay, and Pippin had a cut on his nose! Have no clue on how he got it, but he got it somewhere! He is ok, I washed it with some of the stuff I have for cuts and such.

Could someone describe/post a pic of what you are calling a slow feeder box please? I am trying to understand how it works, how the horses reach the hay. Thanks.

Anna
Something like one of these on this web site! Slow Feeders

I want 2 of them. That way I can place them in different parts of the yard and there will be more chances of both getting some hay. I want a wooden one with wire mesh on top. I just need to find the wire mesh. The wood will be easy and so will building it. I know I can buy wire mesh in 4x8 sheets, but I only need maybe 4 feet all together. So hate to have to buy a huge sheet. Guess I could always make 4 boxes and sell 2! LOL

Our hay nets went in the trash at a truck stop on the way to Tulsa a couple of years ago. I Never hang hay for the horses when hauling them but decided to do so for this long trip. About the second stop for fuel I checked everybody as usual and two of them had feet in the hay bags. I cut them all out right then and there and threw them in the trash!!! Haven't even been tempted to put any back in since then.

Thanks Kim. They look good! Does the wire top sit directly/freely on the hay and 'lower' as the hay is eaten? Do the horses ever get hold of the wire top and pull it out - you know how clever minis are. LOL!! If the wire is fixed then how do you keep the hay level up to the wire? Sorry if I'm being thick here, I'm just interested.

Anna

Hay nets, if you are at a race track are hung out side the stall door and quite a few inches away from the door. So I always wondered about how they should really be used. Although our little ones can't use them quite that way. I would never put it where they can play with it. So since the little ones play with them, they don't get them!

Thanks Kim. They look good! Does the wire top sit directly/freely on the hay and 'lower' as the hay is eaten? Do the horses ever get hold of the wire top and pull it out - you know how clever minis are. LOL!! If the wire is fixed then how do you keep the hay level up to the wire? Sorry if I'm being thick here, I'm just interested.

Anna
You know, I really can't say. I don't have one yet.

In some of the pics it looks like the wire sits on the hay and goes down when the hay goes down. I think the wire is kept in the box by something near the top, maybe another board that makes it to where the wire has to go and out a certain way. When I get into making mine, I will probably put a boarder around the inside top with 2x2s and make one of them held on by bolts so one could remove one, put in the hay and wire mesh, then re bolt the 2x2. Then if the horse did get a hold of the wire, they could only pull it up so far and it would hit the 2x2s. When I get time and find the mesh I want to make mine, I will be sure to take pics as I make it! It's finding the mesh I want, that is going to take time to do. I know what I want and can vision it in my mind, but finding something like that is the challenge! LOL

Latest posts

Back