Thoughts on black sheets/blankets

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mydaddysjag

Reaction score
I'm trying to get my horses matching blankets, and halters/lead ropes. Im kind of Obsessive compulsive, and who knows, some day I might go to big shows, and I just like the presentation of clean, matched, tack. Well, The only color that I can come up with that will look good on every horse is... black. Do you think it would be too hot to have black sheets and blankets?

Of course, they would only have them on in the barn, not out in the sun, but I'm still not sure if they would get any hotter than say, wearing burgandy. Let me know what you think.

Almost all of the blankets I have that are in the barn blankets are black. My horses never seem to have an issue with them.

I would never turn them out in sunlight with them. I have white / cream fly sheets for that.

EDITED TO SAY: Forgot to mention that Black and Navy Blue and Some Greens are basically on the same density for holding the light and heat.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have used black sheets and the horses were not hot in them. Of course we dont leave them out in the baking sun with them on, but never had a problem with a horse getting more warm under a black sheet then any other color sheet they've worn. Actually, my moms horses have black winter blankets and they are no more warm under their blankets then my mare who has purple on when they stand in the sun.

~Jen~

If you want to see how much difference the color makes IN THE SUN, find a Pinto and put one hand on a white patch and one hand on a dark patch. On a bay or black pinto you can REALLY feel the difference. But that only works in the hot sun...

My blankets, sheets and sleezys are all dark green (almost black), light green or black and i have never had any trouble with them at a show in the summer, its not the heat at the show that the black would attract, its the sun so unless they are outside in the sun you would be fine.

Latest posts

Back