Those who have donate or given away a horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBhorses

Reaction score
We wanted to hear from folks who have donated or given a horse away. Share with us why you choose that horse.Also let us see photos of those who have gotten those donated horses or given horses.

our niece Skylar got a nice mare from Lyn http://www.landkminiatures.com/from writing a essay last year. Lyn posted on lilbeginings about writing essays. Skylar essay was so heartbreaking.Since then Skylar whole world as changed. Skylar is my niece, her mother died when she was 2 yrs old. My brother is who knows wher?Savannah is there for skylar when she needs someone. Savannah is having a foal in April,because skylar wanted a foal by her.What I am saying is the gift of this horse for Skylar has been a blessing to us.
default_new_multi.gif
.So we are thinking in the future of maybe donating or giving away a horse like Lyn did. We want to know what all steps someone takes if they decide to do this. Can you write off the donate horse or the horse you give away if you file your business.Also how do you decide which horse will be best to donate or give away. I know essay are a great way, but what others way are there. I know cross country has donate horses to AMHR for youth(great job.)

Thanks again.

God Bless you Lyn for your great gift of giving.

100_4258.jpg
Skylar, Ashley and Savannah

savannah in foal to our buckskin stud we sold. Skylar is sure hoping for a filly.

DSC04068-1.jpg
savannah photo this week.Skylar LOVES this mare so much.Savannah is so sweet.Savannah is due April.Skylar pick the stud out to bred to savannah.stud she is bred to little kings hallmarks buckshot.Skylar is hoping for palomino or buckskin she said.
buckshotDSC_2706.jpg

THANK THANK THANK.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Skylar is so excited about savannah foals, she said she wants to do foal watch.
default_wink.png
I sure hope and pray savannah does well.Skylar is looking forward to this foal so much more then any other foals we have coming.
default_biggrin.png

When I first started breeding I donated a young gelding to Personal Ponies. He was such a special mini, pure white with black eyeliner, I felt so blessed to have the opportunity to own these little horses I felt I should give something back. He has helped several children in his career with this organization and can be seen on their site...his name is Sandman.

The place I've worked at for quite a few years is all donated horses. We've only had trouble with one owner who wanted her back so he could try to clone her with A&M
default_no.gif
She is a Quarter Horse who in her younger days was a multiple time National Champ in cutting and was unable to have foals

I don't know that I have pictures of the two that I gave away.

I gave them away because they were very unsuitable as breeding stock, yet wholly suitable for pets. They were just far too badly conformed and may have had dwarf characteristics, is why I gave them to the people that I did.

They understood my reasons for making this gift, and though I have sold horses for very inexpensively for the same reasons, I am usually very selective about a non-breeding home for horses like the ones I gave away.

It's a scary thing to make a gift of a horse, especially because there are often agreements that can be broken, and then one has no recourse, and feels somewhat slighted because of what happened with the gift. My hat's off to those that give horses with their best intentions.

Also to those that respect and appreciate their gift. It's a win-win in that case, as well the horse gets what's best.
default_smile.png

Liz

My first horse, an Arabian x Quarter Horse gelding I named Sky, was given to me by some friends of my husband's family in 1994.

It was years really before I could stop pinching myself and fully believe I had a horse of my own
default_wub.png

I learned a lot from Sky and the name of my farm comes from how I'd feel when I'd yell out his name, and he would whinny back (I'm a goober now with tears in my eyes).

Sky was put to sleep this past June. He was in his late 20's - early 30's and had been suffering from a sinus infection that we ere not ever able to treat sucessfully dispite a lot of time with the vet and money. The infection spread to his bone before we had to let him go.

Sky was a very good boy and he changd my life for the better. These are pictures of me riding Sky and of him giving me a kiss (a trick I taught him)

sky%20and%20jill-small-medium.jpg

sky_trotting.jpg

Sky-and-me.jpg

A very kind woman by the name of Bev Thawley gave me an adorable Appaloosa Miniature Horse filly.

I was at Bev's for a visit and of course purchasing a horse (and later purchased another
default_wink.png
) and was shown this filly.

She had just had surgery for locking stifle.. and she was offered at a price, but running low on funds I declined. I did mention to Bev though that if she didn't find a home to inform me. Of course I went on to say what an excellent home she'd have and how spoiled she'll be.
default_wub.png

Bev emailed me later and made an offer to me I couldn't refuse - "If you want her, come get her".

"Destiny" is a sweetheart and so funny.. I think deep inside she desires to be a blonde to fit her personality. She is my tallest mini at just under 38.00" now, but she is a gem to have around and has grown so much since that little weanling I bought home four years ago. When I first got her she had an occasional limp, but now you'd never know.. and wow, can she step high when she trots! She's beautiful.

I have given 2 minis to a handicap equestrian team. My friend and I rescued 11 minis from horrible conditions and I brought 6 home with me, I kept one and sold the others for what I had to pay for them. The 2 that I donated were a mare and filly that both had stifle issues, and had the most wonderful personalities. I was able to write them off on taxes, but I would of done it anyways. Both girls are spoiled and rule the whole barn
default_biggrin.png
they are very lucky girls!!
default_yes.gif

I was also the lucky recipient of a mare, I went to a farm to look with my neighbor. SHe was looking for a riding horse and we were talking about bloodlines and I mentioned that I love the King Fritz line in QH. Well they say we have a daughter of King Fritz 2. I was so excited, they took me to her stall and she was the most pathetic site I have ever seen!! A total skeleton, the owner tells me he brought her up from the pasture to put her down!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
But I could have her for $500.
default_new_shocked.gif
. I said well since you are just going to have her put down why not let me take her home. SO he said you come get her before my mom gets home and she is yours, papers and all
default_new_shocked.gif
. I flew home hooked up and grabbed my husband we loaded her and babied her for 4 years before she had a stroke and was put down. She was nursed back to health and gave us a wonderful filly. She taught me so much and I still to this day love the bloodlines even more!! I contacted the orginal owner to get more info on her and they had owned Blue for 18 years!! They thought they had sold her to a great farm!! Boy were they wrong!! That mare made me realize once again why I love the Horse!!!

default_aktion033.gif
great stories and photos.

thanks for sharing everyone.

I love how nice everyone is to each other about giving from their hearts
default_wub.png

We would LOVE to thank all those who have given or donated a horse. The world is sure a great place for horse lovers.
default_yes.gif
Horse folks are such Great People.

THANK YOU ALL FROM THE BOTTOM OF OUR HEARTS.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

GOD BLESS YOU. YOU WILL BE REWARDED FOR YOUR KINDNESS.

I was given a miniature colt in 2007 after losing my mini stallion after battling for a week to save his life. No horse can replace Cody, but Kid sure has filled that void since losing Cody. I look at him every day and feel so blessed to have such a well bred colt and plan to breed him to some mares this year. If all goes well I plan to show him at AMHR shows and hopefully be able to go to Nationals in Oklahoma. I hope to go even if I can't bring a horse so that I can personally thank the amazing lady who gave me Kid. Thank you Belinda of Cross Country Farm in Arkansas. It is people like you who make things worth while.

Enclosed are 2 photos I took January 12, 2008.

http://photobucket.com/albums/b352/spharab...-12-2008033.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/b352/spharab...-12-2008021.jpg

We have our neighbor girl who loves horses and when she was 7 she came over & asked to brush our horses.
default_smile.png
Well it is history from then on. We have no children so this was a dream come true for me.
default_biggrin.png
Having a little girl that shared my passion. Does it get any better than this?

Well to this day she is 13 years old and still comes over all of the time and helps train my foals and she shows with me.
default_wink.png
We have a wonderful bond together & with her family.

Below is Hopi and CJMM Indian Summer Rain, her 1st horse, and we gave Rain to her for her 10th birthday.

She showed Rain to Multi Champion and color wins. Also she and Rain excelled in Liberty. All I can say is

thank you Lord for bringing us together.
297990940.jpg
297990939.jpg

There is a camp in NC called The Victory Junction Gang Camp. Its for children with various illnesses or physical problems. Its a wonderul place where children are allowed to go for a week and just be kids around other kids with the same issues. And their parents never pay the first penny for them to be there including medical care. This camp is run totally by donations and was built by Kyle and Patty Petty. So in the summer of 2006 I had been talking to the barn manager at the camp about their three minis and we made arrangements to take some driving horses to the camp to give kids rides that couldn't otherwise ride the camps big horses. They have restrictions about certain things, so some kids could never be on the horses. We took the driving horses a couple of times and the kids just loved it.

So the East Coast Miniature Horse Club found a suitable horse, bought an easy entry cart with a wider seat (room for the driver and one child) and higher back and a harness and gave it all to the camp so the kids could have their own mini to drive every week instead of just a couple of weeks that we could make it. I don't have any pictures because of the legal issues of using any of the kids pictures in public, but we know they are having fun with Scout.

I was given a registered Arabian back in 1992. After being horseless for about 10 years, l started taking riding lessons in the fall of 1991 as a way to get back with horses. I was working fulltime and going back to school for my MPH and wasn't looking to own one. My instructor was given this small, older Arabian by a friend of hers who needed to find it a home. Rosemary figured she could use Burr as a lesson horse. WRONG! After he dumped most of her young riders (but not me) she had no idea what to do with him. I suggested she lease him to me, which she agreed to do. Then in February she was worried about what she would do if I backed out of the lease, so she GAVE me the Arabian I had alway wanted! Meanwhile, Rosemary decided if I coud handle school and work, maybe she could too, so she went back got her teacher's certificate and is now teaching Special Ed instead of being an Aide.

Then when Burr died of colic in 1994, I bought my pinto Target - yes the Target of Targetsmom and On Target Miniatures. And the rest is history.....

Each year we donate one of our show horses to a deserving youth. I see many hard-working kids out there who have the talent and gumption to show a horse, but maybe not the means to buy a show horse. We have also found some AMAZING young exhibitors that we would love to see owning one of our kids. We start out by talking to the parents to see if it is something that they would be interested in, if so, I let them pick from a few horses. I don't pick "the pets" out of the group as it does our farm well to see the animals out being promoted, but I also want these kids to have a great experience and, well, it's always fun to be in the blues!

Once they select their horse, it is their responsibility to arrange to get the horse and maintain their upkeep. The only thing I ask from our "placed" horses is that if the time comes that the horse is either not wanted or unable to be kept, we get our kids back.

It's always fun to watch our babies grow up with other kids across the country!

Other than our youth internship, we don't require any application or anything along those lines, just the understanding and willingness to provide the best home possible to one of our kids.

Editted to add - watch for Longman's Champ CharDoNeigh coming out in 2008 with truly one of the best young showwoman in the ring today. SHE, in my mind, has more true love of horses and will to show than ANYONE I know!

I received my mini gelding, Country, for winning the Li'l Beginnings Youth Essay Contest. He was donated by Belinda Bagby. (Thanks Belinda!
default_aktion033.gif
) He is such a cute and spunky little baby. I just love him to pieces. Here is a picture of him right after he came home.
default_wub.png
(the picture is sideways :DOH! )

285146511.jpg

We donated a mini mare, Shiloh, to Wings Of Eagles, a theraputic riding program. Shiloh is used to lead and brush on for the handicapped kids that arent able to ride and the kids that are just getting into horses. This is Shiloh's true calling. After almost loosing her to a dystocia and then again almost loosing her to complications from breeding we decided to never breed her again. We donated her to Wings Of Eagles who agreed to never breed her. Shiloh loves the kids and really seems to enjoy her "work". I couldnt be happier with where she is.

This is Shiloh. I cant post any pics of her with the kids because of legal issues.

Shiloh-2.jpg

Two years ago I gave one (my first born) to Camp Courageous. This is a camp for all ages and types of disabilities. It too is run only on donations and fund raisers. Every year they have a wish list and people from all over the country donate to them, money and items on the wish list.

He was a beautiful Silver Dapple with a flaxen main and tail. I have pics when I get them on this computer I'll post one.

He had a very quite mild way about him and just wanted to please. I knew he would be a super horse for them and the size would be perfect for the smaller campers. They sent him for training and broke him to ride (that didn't take much he was almost there before I gave him to them). He has a job giving the smallest campers hippotherapy. He also is used as a petting and grooming tool. They love him and are very thankful for him.

Yes you can get a reciept and take it off of your taxes as a donation. Their barn manager came here and looked him over first. He brought his young (5 yo) son along and had him yell run around make lots of noise to see how Scout would react. He passed with flying colors as he barely twitched an ear. We delivered him a couple of weeks later.

I have a full sister to him I am thinking about donating. I just need to decide where. In a heartbeat I would have given her to the Make A Wish child that lost their horse. I just wasn't fast enough.

We have donate 3 geldings -- 2 to one place and 1 to another. Sorry no pictures.

First 2 geldings (Jake and Nightmoves), very laid back and very affectionate - have gone to a Therapeutic riding program for kids with a variety of disabilities -- they are ridden by the smallest children and I believe both are driven now -- but used for petting and getting the kids used to horses -- they have been quite well received. The place that has them is called Jordan's Gait.

The other gelding also laid back and friendly (Amigo is what they call him) is with another similar program - but this program works with troubled teens. He is neither driven nor ridden but is taken to schools and other places where they talk about their programs. That place is called The Cleveland Home.

Both of these programs are in KY.

JJay

Latest posts

Back