This is a REALLY crazy question,......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FFFoxyGal

Reaction score
OK,.....I am gonna sound REALLY stupid here,.......,...

but,....Ive been wondering this ALL morning,.....

Which side is the *PROPER* side for the mane to lay on??????

Foxy's mane is going EVERY which way,....and I worked on it for over an hour this morning,..trying to get it all to lay the same way,.....

I brushed it all to her left side,.....but,.....am thinking it is suppose to be on the right???????
default_wacko.png
:

Told you it was a crazy question. LOL :lol:

I don't know that there is a "proper" side, but I have always worked to get the manes to lay on the right side on my dad's place and every place that I have worked through the years. It is my personal preference.

I'm also not sure if it's correct...but my girls' manes are on the right....my arab I owned was on the right. So, I'm thinking...the right??? lol
default_wacko.png
:

Traditionally a horses mane has always been expected to lay on the right side. There is the odd horse whose mane just totally refuses to cooperate but they are rare. Take a good dandy brush and wet it and brush the mane firmly down on the right side till it is quite damp. Put a slinky or lay a cooler over it and allow the mane to dry. Once you have done this several times the mane will start to lay on its own. Of course every spring you will have to do it again - we are talking minis here with their big fluffy hairdos! :lol:

OK,...Thanks,..I thought it didnt look right,..LOL

but,.....then again,.....My own hair goes EVERY which way!!!

:lol:

I will try to brush it over to the right,.....
default_wacko.png
:

[SIZE=14pt]I was told by a trainer and by two judge friends of mine that the mane goes to the right for this reason..... when you are driving a horse or bringing any horse into the ring, we always enter and go to the right so the first glimpse of a horses NECK the judge gets as we come into the ring should be a clean line. A clean unhindered look at the lines of the horse with no mane obscuring.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Also, since we lead horses from the left side, they are less likely to muss up a show-ring-ready mane on your side or shoulder LOL

:saludando: I don't know if there is a proper side
default_unsure.png
: , but all my mini's manes naturally go to the righ
default_yes.gif
: t....except my babies LOL :bgrin :lol:

Thanks again,..that does make sense!,..LOL

I dont have a slinky or a cooler,.......Any recommendations for somthing I might have just LAYING around the house to use???

Thanks again
default_smile.png

Foxy - if you are not showing- it does not matter WHICH side the mane lays on. FWIW I have worked with a few show horses of assorted breeds whose manes insisted on going left... so they did. And no - they were not penalized for it in the ring.

In Icelandic horses - the ideal is a split mane - or one so thick and long that it lays on both sides of the neck.

We have a few mini broodmares here who believe in split manes as well... :lol:

But if you want to mess with it... start with a damp mane... and some hair gel or baby oil gel along the crest. Wrap a towel around her neck to use as a mane tamer and use tape to attach it to itself.

And then watch your mare rub it off in 3.5 seconds.... :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: :lol: :aktion033:

Tagalong,....You are probably VERY right!!!!

I know I am not showing,....but,...In this family of VERY CRAZY HAIR,...I would sorta like someone to look ,..shall we say,...Presentable!!!!!

default_wink.png
: :saludando:

Thank you,..i shall try that,..and see what happens. :bgrin

Don't know if this is something you want to try, but I have always had great luck by just wetting the mane thoroughly, braiding it over on the right side and leaving the braids in place for a while. The mane needs to be clean to start, and it works best if you unbraid and brush out once a week. The key is to get the braids snug but not so tight they irritate the horse. (or they rub them!) Often, a little baby oil or other leave-in conditioner keeps them from itching. The braids are secured by little rubber or latex bands.

I've used this on some really bushy, upright manes and it does the trick. As someone else mentioned, often you have to do this every spring!

Hope this is of some help!

Yeeeesh. I forgot the mention the braids thing, FFoxy - as Petvet correctly suggests. I was only thinking that you might just want to do a faux mane-tamer thing....

I am definitely having a blonde day....
default_wacko.png
:

LOL,..Thanks,.....Guess I will have to wait for warmer WEATHER,...Her mane is DEFINITLY not clean,....

It has the greasy,grungy feel,......OHHHHH,..How I wish I could bath her now,..and make her all SQEAKY clean,.....

Oh well,...a couple more months wont hurt her,..I guess,.....It just hurts me!!!! LOL

Latest posts

Back