This irks me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds awesome, Karen! Mine will be one of the first you receive
default_yes.gif
:

Hi Karen,

The Mail-In Voting went into effect this year (again go read your April 2006 Journal) in the offical pages. It has the guidelines in there to do the mail-in voting. Right now it's being used for your election of your Area Directors. The only Area this year that had an election with two people is Area 4. That election will be held October 7th at the Ramada LTD North in Springfield Ohio. In that April issued you will find the person/persons who will be running for each of the Area's that had Directors coming up for re-election.

Karen

I want to sign! Can someone print off a copy and have it at Nationals? Maybe Lisa of Ozark Tack would let us have it at her booth so we'd all know where it is?

A page FULL of signatures as well as single signed letters would be a good thing!

Ok --- I've gone & read again the 2006 April edition of Journal. It refers, I believe, ONLY to mail-in election of BOD members, not the type of thing we're discussing here. Am I correct, Karen S?

The mail-in voting doesn't and won't address individual issues....It seems to me that they want us to rely on the elected directors to make our needs/wants/desires known. HOWEVER, if it was the BOD that passed this suffix thing, apparently, they are out of touch with what I'm assuming is the majority of members desires.

I feel we need to make our thoughts known to the AMHR. I have drafted a letter for everyone to sign but it could also be worded a little differently if someone wants to use it as a petition at the National. (Go! Go! Go!) We need a volunteer, tho. It'll be a lot of work, don't kid yourself. Let me know.

BUT right now, I need to know about mail-in voting..........Is it planned ONLY for BOD elections? I believe that is the case........In essence, we can't request that a subject be submitted to the annual meeting for a vote there......or is it that we can suggest a topic for mail-in voting? I don't think so. DUNNO! Am I wrong? If so, please direct me to the page number in April 2006 Journal. I have read again & again what is on page 232.

I'd like the letter to the AMHR to be correct in its wording. I also don't find anything about the need for at least 100 signatures. Thanks.

We can relate as we wanted to register our bay leopard colt with the same name in R as A, but couldn't. His registered name with AMHA is Lost Spoke's Winter Dream Catcher aka Catch and his AMHR name is Lost Spoke's Winter Dreamer. We also hardshipped Little America's D. S. Dream Catcher into AMHR and his came back D. S. Dreamer. Anyways, figured they had their reasons.

Dawn :saludando:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok --- I've gone & read again the 2006 April edition of Journal. It refers, I believe, ONLY to mail-in election of BOD members, not the type of thing we're discussing here. Am I correct, Karen S?

The mail-in voting doesn't and won't address individual issues....It seems to me that they want us to rely on the elected directors to make our needs/wants/desires known. HOWEVER, if it was the BOD that passed this suffix thing, apparently, they are out of touch with what I'm assuming is the majority of members desires.
That's what I got out of the info in the Journal too, that mail in voting was only for election of BOD. If it meant to say something else, I didn't get that at all from the way it is worded.

I wish we at least had proxy voting rights, because then all of us that cannot go to the meetings could send our proxy to someone that can attend and that we trust to vote the way we want to vote--then our votes could all count too. Any one in favor of proposing a new rule that allows proxy voting??

Karen, if you copy your letter here, and post it before 5pm Friday, I will make the petitions to sign and take them to Nationals with me on SATURDAY. I will also have them in my stall area for anyone to sign, and when finished I wll send it on to you!

I work in a reprographics shop, and can print the sign-in sheets in about thirty seconds.... :bgrin

BUT- I am done for the week on Friday and must have the info in my grubby hands before I go.

Deal?

Lucy

Good Afternoon,

Yes the mail-in voting is just for the election of the BOD at each of our annual area meetings. This new procedure is from two years of work in collecting the required names, address, signatures and membership numbers for this proposal to be set up and go through the legal department in which it would be handled. This was set up for those folks who cannot attend their Area meetings due to time constraints or distance. The original proposal was just for that not for anything else.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, you must submit any changes, proposals etc by the first of July of 2007 for any of this to be considered. These changes, in the way we submit proposals, were done back five years ago. This allowed the committee's to review those proposals coming in, compiling those that were duplicated and forward the ones that should have gone onto another committee. Then those rule changes/proposals were presented in their respective committees and voted on in committee and either passed or failed. If they passed then they are sent onto the BOD for them to review and discuss. Anyone attending convention can attend any board meeting and stay as long as they like unless the BOD decides to hold a closed meeting where we can't attend due to the fact they are discussing matters that are personal or legal.

I would like to remind you to review your By-laws of the ASPC/AMHR Registry. These were voted on two years ago (ballots were mailed out even at that time) and brought up to date. Our BOD do have the final say on any proposal to accept that proposal or reject it if it isn't fair to the entire Registry this is in the By-laws. I know we all have changes and proposals that we submitted from time to time and felt they should pass (and did in commitee) but when it gets to its final destination, then the BOD (whom we elect) can say no. If they say no, they may send it back to committee to be reviewed and reworked so it would be fair to all and then brought back to the next convention to be re-presented.

I'm going to sound like a broken record here, please go by the guidlines given so that your changes and proposals will be considered. I think what you are doing is great, but we do have the follow protocol and not go off in haste and wish we had taken our time or listen. Again, as a gentle reminder you cannot submit anything to convention for this year as the cut off date was July 1st and we don't accept anything from the floor anymore.

I will always encourage any member to go to convention and see for yourself how our Registry works, ask questions and hear what others like you are saying. Most of the time you would be suprised at how uniform the membership really is. We usually have around 200+ members/visitors that attend convention each year and that number is really low compare the the thousands of members we have. You do have a voice (just like the mail-in voting) but sometimes things are done in a manner (which we may think is too slow) to be sure it's legal, and is concise. You don't want someone to come back and say it wasn't fair to all and then have a propsal the next year to overturn what was just done. Patience is a virtue and sometimes even I don't have enough of it.

Karen

Karen S --- Ok, it sounds as if no matter what we do or say, it wouldn't even be considered until next mid-year. It also sounds that if they throw it back into committee & decide it should not be on the agenda for the annual meeting, it could take forever.............in essence, you are saying this is happening, but it's hopeless to fight. If this procedure continues to mid-2007, it will be so screwed up, no one will ever be willing to tackle it & straighten it out.

I don't know.......I don't remember reading ANYWHERE that this change had come. I know suffixes have been around forever..........but for farm names & breeder identity...........NOT common words. I truly believe this just sort of "happened" and no one knew what to do about it, or else didn't give enough thot to what could happen with it & it went right over their heads & parted their hair as it went. :stupid:

There doesn't seem to have been any thot put into the acceptance of common words as reserved. Perhaps, I don't know, someone who has the power to vote, along with other buddies there, decided they would like to do it. Began doing it & said "Hey, this works!" I don't know if it was someone on the BOD, or just some members who discovered this. But it doesn't really matter. It has to stop.

I don't think what has developed was what was part of the original concept. God help us if it was. Then there truly is NO HOPE.............that's the way I see it. It is so entirely stupid that I can't believe that the current situation is what they meant to happen.

There's nothing we can do? I won't give up that easily. At least we can sign a petition or write letters to the AMHR to let them know this is not acceptable. It's likely only those owning the words are happy about it. But, like Jill, they may have felt forced into buying a word before they are told they can't use it. In plain language, that stinks.

Can you tell I'm mad?? Yeah....I am.

Lucy, I will draft that petition & put it into a separate post tomorrow morning. It will be as simple and logical as I can make it. Please feel free, Lucy, or anyone else to make copies of it & have it signed by those around you. Remember to list all the needed info about yourself on it, and I'll remind you of those when I post the petition. I'll make yet another separate post for a letter that folks can download, sign, fill out & snail mail to me to be sent in a bundle to AMHR.

No, I don't like to be told something can't be done about something, especially when what's happening is WRONG. :nono: At least we can try. Even if we are fighting "city hall."

(Note to Karen S: To be clear, this is NOT a personal attack on you or your comments. Thanks for your concern. )

Yes, you heard me right....

Remember a while back when everyone was gnashing their teeth over how they couldn't name their horse a particular name because that prefix was already registered? And how many readers of the forum almost immediately went out to register their own prefixes and suffixes? A LOT of them did. Because a LOT of forum readers weren't aware of this before that. We'll never know how many forum readers registered prefixes and suffixes because of those threads, but I guarantee, there were a number that did!

Again, I do NOT think it was intended to be a cash cow. It was intended to be a means for breeders to identify animals as having come from their programs....whether it be a prefix or a suffix. Did I pitch a hissy fit when my filly came back with a registered name of Charmer instead of Charm? NO ! Because it really didn't matter. There are soooooo many more important things in life.

Well, I've made my list and over the next couple weeks I'm going to be registering the following suffixes for my use only for all eternity: (you guys won't mind will you?)

Angel, Delight, Image, Legacy, Miracle, Magic, Luck, Dandy, Lace, Lady, Boy, Girl, Man, Miss, King, Queen, Prince, Princess, Red, Blue, Silver, Copper, Gold, Blonde, Smokey, Cloud, Star, Moon, Sun, Day, Night, Midnight, Diva, Fancy, Radiance, Ambition, Sweetie, Sugar, Honey, Cookie, Doll, and Rose.

Then, everytime I send in another registration application I will be adding $20 to make whatever other last word I've chosen becomes mine and only mine. Wa, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha!!!!

Ridiculous!!!! Now I understand why some of my first choices for names have not been used and I have a horse with 2 different registered names. How stupid!
default_wacko.png
:

:aktion033: to Southern Heart. i have just read through all these responses, and there are certainly alot of unhappy people, which i don't blame.

I have not come across the problem as of yet, but i'm sure i will.

Each day i hear something more about the registry's and what they are doing, and it's an ongoing nightmare.

all about money, and not about the people/breeders

Please add my name to your list when it is created.
default_yes.gif
:

Thanks for all your support, but we can't add your names to the list for you. A petition is listed under a separate post. You need to cut & paste it into Microsoft Word, download it & sign it. It requires, to be legal, the date, your PRINTED name, your address, your AMHR membership number and your SIGNATURE. In the end, the only cost is a stamp to snail mail it to me. If you'll PM me here on the forum, I'll send you my snail mail address........I will bundle them & send them certified mail to AMHR, ASPC and Show Pony registry. Those who sign must be at least 18 & be members.

Please do this.........even if you're the only one who signs a particular sheet.....that's OK...we need you. Saying you are for putting a stop to this on the forum is great, but we need more from you............thanks so much to those who participate. - karen :worshippy:

I just printed one off for myself. As soon as I get the address to send it to, it will be in the mail.

Oh, no! I have a filly who's just gotten to the age where she can be permanently registered but her name has one of the "off limits" words at the end. Does that mean I have to register her with a different name? I didn't particularly like her temporary registered name anyway and was going to see if I could change it when she went permanent, but I saw (Or at least thought I saw) on the amha/r website that you have to get the breeder's permission to do so first. How does that affect those sorts of already-almost-registered horses?

Good Morning All,

Please don't get yourself all worked up into a frenzy.....All miniatures that are still under their temporary papers with AMHR (Example: Fiddlestix Many More AMHR# 202020T) will keep that same name until they turn three years old when their temporary number becomes a permanent number and their name stays as is.

This problem will be those new babies that are yet to be named. You cannot change the name of a horse unless your get written approval from the breeder of that animal whether or not you like the name that was given.

Karen Shaw

I know of that at least one of the words listed in the very first email that started this thread is a farm name that someone has breeding for years and years. You may think it is a common word but if it is their farm name they should be allowed to use it IMO

I know of that at least one of the words listed in the very first email that started this thread is a farm name that someone has breeding for years and years. You may think it is a common word but if it is their farm name they should be allowed to use it IMO

Then why can't they use "Of XXX" or "From XXX" instead of tying up common words? Or use a prefix?

Critter

-- Yes, there are some legitimate claims to words that are actually farm names. Here's a madeup scenerio:

I don't know if you mean the word "wonder," but suppose you do. There is a farm called Small Wonder that I am aware of. I have seen Small Wonder So & So or Small Wonder This or That over the years. I can completely understand them wanting to protect their name. I have not, however, seen So & So of Small Wonder.

However, someone has obviously gone to the AMHR & reserved the word "wonder." not "of Small Wonder, " which would be a legtitimate farm name & would protect them & should be allowed to be reserved, IMHO. So, use of it IN THAT FORM would not be allowed (of Small Wonder).

But if someone were just to reserve "wonder" by itself, no "of" before it, it takes the word itself out of circulation & use by anyone else for their horse's name -ever. I see THAT as unfair. I'm sorry if you don't, but there are many here that agree with me. Give it some thot, maybe you'll see it, maybe not.

Latest posts

Back