This irks me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can understand the prefix being reserved since most people use their farm name but NEVER A SUFFIX! How INSANE!!! put me on the peeved off list.

First: Draft your letter of recommendation.

Second: You will need to collect a minimum of 100 signatures on this proposal/recommendation.

Third: You will need to have everyone sign their name, put their address on and their Membership #

the names will be verified against the current membership roster to be sure those that have signed your petition are current and in good standing with the Registry. I would hate for all of your hard work to go down the drain for not following good procedures.
In less than one week we'll have the most members together that ever show up in one place. Surely we can draft SOMETHING up and bring it along.

Lucy

Add me to the ones that want to sign!

Jill's comment about wanting to have access to a "word" for herself is pretty true for any of us. Look at us who have just one or two foals per year, but want them to have special names: Do you register every conceivable "word" we might want for a name? What if we never use the name for whatever reason? Then everyone else will be barred from using a common, everyday "horsey" name like "Trigger" for example and it's NOT FAIR.

As long as it's been put with a farm name, or a name not already used, I don't see why someone can't use a common word in the end of the name.

I have been upset about how they handle this for a long time, as well.

If it keeps up, indeed, all that will be left for the ending will be indistinct numbers and letters. Or maybe we start working on a foreign language.

Liz

Please add me to the peeved off customer list also ...I purchased a Prefix...but i absolutly refuse to buy a suffix its a money maker thats all ....What are they going to do next??? I feel they are taking away our rights of expression....If it is in a dictionary we should be able to use it and even if it isnt we should be able to name our horses what we want too...

Add "Camelot" to that list !!!

The word "Camelot" can not be used in any part of the registered name. The farm that "reserved" it doesn't even spell it this way.

Really ticked me off when we tried to register our "Camelot Country" horses. So now in "r" they're C Countrys .......

Janis

Boy this really ticks me off too! I don't have any horses to name right now, but in the future...what am I going to be left with? And, Or, From, Maybe...??? There are millions of us around the world...heck, within the states even that all register with one registry...within 18 months, EVERY WORD will be taken...no one will be able to name their new horses anything except "Perfection 1, Perfection 2, and Perfection 3...etc"....

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!! Put me on that list of peeved people!

We had a bizarre variation of this occur with a mare that was being reigistered in AMHR and already was AMHA. They would not accept her name - as the prefix "already existed" (yeah, we know - that is the farm she was purchased from) and the "suffix" (which wasn't) which was simply part of her name was "reserved". So the office merrily said to register her under OUR farm name. NO, we said - we are not her breeders and want to the credit to go to her breeders... OH PSHAW the office said - just name her that anyway - everyone else does it. Well, we were not "everyone else" and refused to do so. We had to drop the prefix totally and then for some reason all was well. That - is NONSENSE.

I thought a "suffix" - as in the dog world - was something like OF Whatever. In the dog world, kennel names may be combined for a litter - so you would have Sunrise (prefix) Real Appeal at (or of) Laurelton (suffix)....

Okay, I now fail to see why Camelot Country has to be C Country, just because someone already registered Camelot? (In fact, on the Prefix List at AMHR I don't even see Camelot on there at all?) After all, they allow Royal to be used in several different names:

ROYAL

ROYAL C

ROYAL CRESCENT

ROYAL CREST

ROYAL LEGACY

ROY-AL M

ROYAL MANOR

ROYAL OAKS

ROYAL PALAS

ROYAL ROSE

ROYAL T FARMS

ROYAL TEXAS

ROYAL TROOPER'S

I think everyone needs to calm down.
default_yes.gif
:

Just make sure that your one of the 100 signatures on this proposal/recommendation.

Nothing is going to get solved here ranting on and on!!

Hello!!! :saludando: Alls well that ends well! 100 signatures is all it takes!!!
default_wink.png
:

I can understand the prefix being reserved since most people use their farm name but NEVER A SUFFIX! How INSANE!!! put me on the peeved off list.

I agree. There are just too many people out there to be reserving suffixes like "treasure".
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I advise everyone to register their farm name.. saves possible trouble later...
The only problem with that is that people do exactly that - they reserve their entire farm name as a prefix and a suffix. Some of them are so long that a person would be hard put to name the horse something other than the prefix or suffix.... A farm name and a prefix or suffix are not necessarily the same thing but a lot of people don't understand that.

Last edited by a moderator:
default_wacko.png
: I thought the kennel clubs had the corner on stupidity but this is worse, put me down as one of your 100 names, I will sign.
default_yes.gif
:

Yvonne

Ok everyone, take a deep breath....step back and second and BREATHE! Wow!!!

I STRONGLY do not believe that this was intended to be a "money maker" for ASPC/AMHR. It was originally intended to be a means for people to put their "trade mark" on their horses/ponies. That's it. Unfortunately, some people took it to the extreme and ludicrous. It was NOT the organization that did this!!!! Yes, there maybe should have been someone in the office saying, "Hey, wait a minute...that's a common term." But it got out of hand before anyone sat up and took notice. And quite frankly, I lay a small part of the blame on forums such as this....

Yes, you heard me right....

Remember a while back when everyone was gnashing their teeth over how they couldn't name their horse a particular name because that prefix was already registered? And how many readers of the forum almost immediately went out to register their own prefixes and suffixes? A LOT of them did. Because a LOT of forum readers weren't aware of this before that. We'll never know how many forum readers registered prefixes and suffixes because of those threads, but I guarantee, there were a number that did!

Again, I do NOT think it was intended to be a cash cow. It was intended to be a means for breeders to identify animals as having come from their programs....whether it be a prefix or a suffix. Did I pitch a hissy fit when my filly came back with a registered name of Charmer instead of Charm? NO ! Because it really didn't matter. There are soooooo many more important things in life.

Yeah, there's more important things in life, but it's one of those that is going to get out of hand.

What if I want to use the word Tribute? If someone else has it reserved well I'm out of luck. And it goes on and on.

It may be OUR fault for reacting to the news, and I did NOT contact AMHR to reserve any of the words that are dear to me and have names thought up for, but I know some might have. Big deal. The registry is there to control such things and in the past, they have NOT been a bit concerned for the customer.

Jean what if someone wanted to use "Dusty Lane's" or "D.u.s.t.y. L.a.n.e." and in the ring, they were announced as coming from your farm basically (people would think so) and these people were using your farm name in essence? It happened to a friend of mine and while she's no big name farm, she had the name FIRST but they dumped her for the newer farm b/c they had more horses and they told her nothing she could do except sue.

I just think they need to get a handle on this reserving of common words as a suffix. Not getting all bent out of shape, just waiting to see what we can do to put a stop to it.

Liz

I wonder if instead of a petition, which could be hard to "pass around" from person to person, if we could draft a letter that people can cut and paste, then print, sign and send to AMHR? Would that work?

Good morning! Boy, a lot has happened here since last nite's read. Jean, I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. It was in the hands of the registry to stop the nonsense. If people jumped on the bandwagon, I believe it could have been as case of "I'd better do it before someone else does." Kind of a panic-mode.

I don't know if anyone recalls but there was a case similar to this that was in the news perhaps last year. Fox News wanted to trademark the phrase "Fair and Balanced," which they use as a descriptive of their news operations. However, fair and balanced is a phrase used quite often in regular English usage. They fought this quite high up in the court system (having $millions to play with) and LOST! You cannot, legally, reserve a regularly used part of the English language for yourself exclusively. IF Fox had won, no one could use that term without a.) getting in trouble with Fox, or b.) ending up paying them money for stepping on their trademark.

I'm just about sure I have the facts right here but if anyone recalls differently, please correct me.

This differs in that the AMHR is being the judge, not the plaintiff. They are saying it's ok to do this. I'm sorry, I don't believe it is. PREFIX - yes; SUFFIX for common every day words - no. Yeah, we've had "Little Wee" since 1992. It's a common phrase. But we are the Little Wee Horse Farm. The words are used at the beginning of the name, not the ending. I do want people to know horses came from our program and were bred HERE. But, then, logically, who would want to name their horse, say, Flashy Guy of Little Wee. No, maybe Little Wee Flashy Guy, but not the other way around. Yes, our having the prefix Little Wee would stop them, but I don't see any other way to distinguish what we've bred. That's the way it's been done with horses registries forever.

The current situation is ridiculous. Lucy's idea of circulating a petition at nationals is an outstanding one. I'd write it (I'm a professional writer) if someone who is going would take on the job. Any takers? You'd have the undying gratitude of MANY who have foals. Just 100 signatures? Let's give em LOTS MORE! And, Jill, I don't see why we couldn't do that too. Nothing to stop us, except indifference. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

One thing I thought of about mailing in letters (cut, paste, print, sign & send) is that "we" could send AMHR 500 but how would we know? I don't want to think they would lie and say they didn't get the required 100, but I guess it could happen (?). I think we'd need them to go to one of us and then when that person has 100, send them in and let everyone know we got 100 (or more).

Jill & everybody else -- I did think of collecting letters earlier in this post, but didn't say so. Your idea just re-enforces my thot and perhaps gives me the nerve to actually do it.

I am hereby volunteering to be the collector of letters to the AMHR on this matter. As was stated earlier, the letter would need to contain your name, address & AMHR membership number. AND YOUR SIGNATURE.

I'd package them all up together & mail them to the AMHR. I'd have some of my mini-friends witness that, indeed, this package containing however many letters was being sent to the AMHR. I'd send it certified, so they'd have to sign for it & we'd get a receipt back & have proof that it was actually sent to begin with.

How does that sound? I will compose the letter (later today or tomorow, depending on what goes on today at the farm) and post it on the forum. Then, I would ask those who want to participate, to download it into Word, then print it. Then add your own information. Snail mail it to me then. I don't want to post my actual address online, so I'd ask each person to email me with a request for my info here at my PM on the forum.

Does that sound good? Lemme know what you think. I'm so steamed about this, and it takes a bit to set me off. Let's DO SOMETHING!

Oh, and a question, if there's mail-in voting at AMHR now, when does that start? I haven't gotten anything to indicate that my vote is wanted on anything......is that just a once a year thing? Just wondering. Thanks.

And thanks to anyone who participates in this campaign. If it's our registry, let's let them know how we feel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back