THINGS YOUR MOTHER USED TO SAY!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane

Reaction score
MY MUM USED TO SAY SOME REALLY FUNNY THINGS ESPECIALLY WHEN SHE WAS ANGRY AT US, LIKE GET UP AND SIT DOWN
default_wacko.png
: IF I DIDNT LISTEN SHE USED TO SAY,HAVE YOU GOT CLOTH EARS, :lol: IF YOU FALL DONT COME CRYING TO ME,
default_unsure.png
: IF YOU CROSS THAT ROAD ILL KILL YA, :eek: WHEN I WENT TO THE SHOP GO SLOW INCASE YOU FALL BUT AS QUICK AS YOU CAN, DONT TALK TO STRANGERS{UNTIL YOU HAD TO SIT ON SANTAS KNEE}, DO YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING FUNNY YOUR PARENTS USED TO SAY?????? :bgrin

my mom always said "some day youll have a child just like yourself and then youll know what i went thru" LOL.

When i had kyle my last child of 3 she laughed so hard and said "heres the one just like yourself and now youll know what you put me thru" she was so right

Whenever I said see you tomarrow to my mother in law she would always say "if the lord is willing and the creek dont rise" I had never heard that and thought it was so funny

Men don't make good pets...and she was right! :bgrin

My Mom had tons of sayings and lots of good sense.

I used them all the time I was raising my boys.....

The best will remain..."If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all."

Along with, "Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you."

I still try to follow those to this day......

My mother always said "If you lay down with dogs you will get fleas", and it wasn't dogs she was referring to
default_rolleyes.gif
: There were a few of my friends that she did not approve of, and after having a son that has given me more gray hair than I want at 42, I know exactly what she means!

I could NOT repeat here most of the things my mother said, though they were pretty humorous on one level, at least us kids and her acquaintances found them funny.

*shrug*

default_smile.png

Noone would probably believe me if I did quote her infamous sayings.

Interesting to see what others' moms said, though.

Liz M.

I could NOT repeat here most of the things my mother said, though they were pretty humorous on one level, at least us kids and her acquaintances found them funny.

*shrug*

default_smile.png

Noone would probably believe me if I did quote her infamous sayings.

Interesting to see what others' moms said, though.

Liz M.
Oh I bet I'd believe you, I had some friends who's moms had some ummm interesting and colorful vocabularies and interesting mental quirks.
default_wacko.png
:

The two that my mom always used that cracked me up where when my dad would get huffy she'd either tell him not to get his bowels in an uproar or to not get his knickers in a twist.
default_rolleyes.gif
: And as for the "you'll have a kid JUST LIKE you some day", well, scared me enough to not have any!

I've always said I'm was the kind of kid that made a tiger eat it's young :new_shocked: Mind you never got into legal trouble but if there was a chain to yank I found it. Made for some colorful comments from poor mom, especially since she'd waited so long for a daughter figuring she'd have a cute frilly girl, LOLOL.

krisp

Last edited by a moderator:
"God willing and the creek don't rise." is a Golden Oldie. I have come to use it quite a bit myself.

Not my mother. My uncle would say, "if you hurt yourself doing something stupid, I'll give you something to cry about." I can't tell you how many times I didn't let anyone know I was injured. :new_shocked:

My mother would tell my brother that ,"she hoped he had TWINS just like himself."

Robin

When we were kids, my mother always said that we'd never remember if she kept the house clean, but we'd remember if she played with us...no truer words were ever spoken (but she never intended for me to take her so seriously! My dad always said that a clean desk was the sign of a sick mind...I took that one to heart, too...)

With six kids, my mom could never come up with the right name and would run through the list of all six kids, plus a few pets as well...

She still says, when serving food: "Take the one closest to you, even if you have to turn the plate."

I grew up in a very close extended family, so I remember a lot of great quotes from various relatives.

My grandmother, when complimented on her cooking, would say: "Oh, it's just something I threw up."

My grandfather was always saying, when we walked in front of the TV, "You make a better door than a window!"

My aunt, who was pretty conservative, turned into a wild woman in the car and cursed the other drivers -- yet she would never swear in front of us kids, so she would cut loose with a loud and vehement, "Oh, you blankety-blank-blank-blank!!!"

The same aunt, who never married, used to always apply lipstick, even at the beach or on a picnic. We'd ask her why, and she always answered "You never know when you'll meet a handsome man who says "I love you!"

I remember something my grandpa used to say to some of the younger grandkids when they got a little out of hand. He would look at them and say really stern "If you don't straighten up, I am going to put your head between your ears" To a little one, that sounded painful. :bgrin

What about when you made a nasty face....my mom always said, "your face is going to freeze like that". Or...."if you don't stop crying, I'll give you something to cry about"
default_wacko.png
: . Or my favorite, "just wait until your father gets home!!". :eek: If you ever listen to Bill Cosby, he has a routine about his mother coming into his room saying how it looks like a pig sty, he says his mother was an expert on pig stys!! Anyway, that routine described my my mom to a T!! Including the pig sty comments!!

Mine said "He doesn't know s*** from apple butter".

That was one of the nicer things she used to say.

One day I was offered apple butter and I said no thanks LOL!

When I would stand in front of the television and block her view mother would say

"Is your father a glass maker?"

and the all time favorite: Her "curse" as I call it

"Someday, you will have children and so help me God, I hope they behave for you just the way you are behaving for me today"

or

"You will understand someday when you become a mother"

"Someday, you will look back on things and thank me for that"

The one that comes to mind that hasnt been mentioned is when we would touch something hot or attempt to eat something hot and we would say Ooh thats HOT and her reply would always be "What did you think It came from a hot place" and of course being a life long Maineah everything was responded to with the perverbial Ay ya. The inflection would let you know if it Meant yes or I agree or I understand or something of surprise.

If you were in front of the TV it was "you'd make a better door than a window"

If you left a door open it was "were you born in a barn" LOL I WISH! :lol:

and the good old "I'm glad you weren't twins"

and every mother says the "one day you'll have children just like you" Grandchildren are supposed to be Gods gift to grandparents... and grandparents revenge on their children :p

WHAT ABOUT THE INFAMOUS WHEN YOU LEAVE A LIGHT ON.

"WERE YOU BORN IN A LIGHTHOUSE?"

OR COMPLAIN YOU ARE BORED:

"COME HERE I'LL NAIL YA."

This is a fun thread!

My Mother used to say when I got hurt

"you'll be better before you are twice married", really helpful advice
default_wacko.png
:

when I had period pain she would say " the pain will be less after your have your second child", I was 13??
default_wacko.png
:

Another few of her and my grandmothers Irish phrases "Go on out of that", "Get up out of that", "ah would you go on with yourself", "don't be codding me", Don't be cheeky", "Is it a smack you'll be needing?", "Will I be needing the spoon?", "Come here to me before I give you a hiding" and my favorite, "If I was you I would sit myself down"

and of course, the phrase every Irish mother says no matter what the problem big or small "Lets sit down and have a nice cup of tea and have a chat about it!"

My grandmother would say "There is nothing that a nice cup of tea and a warm scone can't fix!"

I LOVE ALL THE FRAZES, DO YOU WANT A SMACK ROUND THE LISTENERS,IM JUST THINKING OUR MUMS WERE VERY VIOLENT WERNT THEY HAHA! ITS AWFUL BECAUSE I SWORE ID NEVER SAY WHAT MY MUM DID,AND NOW I KEEP THINKING GOSH I SOUND JUST LIKE MY MOTHER LOL , WERE WOULD YOU BE IF I HADNT OF CALLED YOU,MY MUM USED TO SAY RIGHT! :eek: WHO HAS THERE SHOES ON, WE ALL USED TO SLIDE OUR SHOES OFF BE CAUSE THEN SHED OF LOOKED AND THE ONE WHO HAD THERE SHOES ON HAD TO GO TO THE SHOP, :no: get up before i get ya up.

Latest posts

Back