They're here!! and I must get them to gain weight

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsesdances

Reaction score
Hi

we finished the shelter, the fence and finally were ready!

they arrived yesterday morning!

They are so calm, sweet and gentle! I just can't believe it!

they are just so adorable and we are deeply in love already. My big horses (in the pasture besides with 6' min between fences) were very nervous... like if the minis were aliens lol!

but now they are already calm and eat as close to the mini paddock as possible! guess they are falling for them to.

Here is a link to see some pictures I took yesterday.

I know the halters are horrible... they came with them and the ones I bought are to small. They are not really halter broke so I have to put up with those horrors for at least a few days.

I tried adjusting the smallest's halter's nose band but the attaches are frozen... so I have to wait or figure out a clever way to fix this. Thursday night more than likely or maybe tomorrow I will go exchange the new ones for bigger ones.

The loose nose band worries me a little, but the pasture is very safe (nothing really he could get caught on) so it is ok, I manage to sleep a night! That first night was so long! I was worried they wouldn't have enough hay etc, but they have been fine!

Now we have to tame them, gain their confidence and mostly get them fatter!

I will deworm them. I have been using herbal wormers for my horses with great success for years. I tried some on them yesterday but they wouldn't eat the alfalfa cubes containing the plants... so I will try with molasses tonite. If it doesn't work I will get ivermectin for this time and then it will give me the time to get them used to my herbal ones.

I find we feel the ribs to much to my liking. They have plenty of hay and mine is good quality.

I was wondering if adding some "hay extender" for about a month, just to give them a little more would help?

what do you think?

I got them also a vitamin and minerals mix to give daily to complement the hay. Will add mineral salt block to.

enjoy the pics:

http://malem.com/tinylz/tiny.html

They look pretty darn cute in their winter woolies.

How old are they? And, how big (they look tiny in the pics)?

They are SO cute! I am guessing they are yearlings? I like to feed my weanlings/yearlings free choice alfalfa/grass hay along with beet pulp and omelene 300. When I tell people that they always think it is way too much, but this is a yearling colt that was fed that from foal on, pictured in April after his first shave:

2010-04-27193221-1.jpg

You can see he still needs just a little bit of weight, but not much. It was a really rough winter for us and he was a big boy-grew like crazy. But he was filled in really well, no belly, no hip or back bones sticking out. I have two really small fillies this year that are getting straight alfalfa because they are just so tiny and refined, they needed the extra with our cold weather. I find that "big horse" people who first get into minis are so afraid of overfeeding, but you don't have to worry about that just yet when it comes to hay
default_smile.png
and get them a good 16% grain too. I just add mineral/vitamin supplements to my mature horses in the summer. Growing horses need more than just hay and a supplement, IMO.

Congrats again on your beautiful new 'babies'! Sounds like they have a really wonderful home with you.

Yes they are adorable!

the black one with the blue eyes is 9 months

the kinda of bay is 6 months old

they are under 30 inches, yes very small! smaller than my 30" german shepperd

can't wait to measure them! but need to gain trust before.

They look pretty darn cute in their winter woolies.

How old are they? And, how big (they look tiny in the pics)?

Congratulations! Sure doesn't take long to fall in love with them, does it!
default_wub.png
Little love bugs!

Best of luck getting them into blooming good health. It takes a little time and effort, but it's oh so worth it! I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas from this forum. Keep posting pictures of their improvement!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't mind the time and efforts. Horses are ultimate my pleasure in life! I had rescues and some with behevioral issues, TCL, patience, understanding can take care of amlost anything!

The minis need taming, confidence in us and TCL... but I am sure they will turn out great. They were already running and playing yesterday afternoon. So adorable!

the biggest challenge: going back home to work on my "real" job!

Congratulations,
aktion033.gif
they are just adorable
wub.gif
I bet you can't wait to see what is under all that fluff
laugh.gif

I personally would take that big halter off, he could easily get himself in trouble with it that loose or he could even get caught up with his friend whilst playing. I am sure in a few days with your love and care you will catch him easily. JMHO
wub.gif

Yes they are adorable!

I'd get them on a good mare/foal or growth feed in addition to your good hay. Babies aren't as good at digesting hay, so they need their "grain", whether you choose a pellet, textured or grain mix is up to you, but do put them on a growth formula.

Yes they are adorable!

I suggest a mare and foal grain or something with at least 15% protein, growing bones need this extra and they will gain real good on it. I have heard the omelene 300 is good too though I dont have it around here so never fed it. I just feed a mare and foal pellet and they gain good from that along with the hay. We also do the vitamin/mineral pellets. I would feed the hay maybe 3 times a day if they eat it all.

Marsha

Great pictures, they look quite happy to be there! I agree, I'd get those halters off....would make me worry.

Also agree with the suggestsion to give them protein as they still have some growing to do. Good luck, enjoy and keep us posted!
default_smile.png

Jan

they are beautiful , I love the blue eyes, I can see you will soon have them tame
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with everyone, they need grain. As adults, some minis are easy keepers and do well on hay and a supplement, but Ive never seen an easy keeper mini foal. My personal thoughts are 16% feed until 1 year old, 14% feed afterwards. I am just now switching our yearling over to strategy thats 14%. Its about 2 months sooner than I normally would, but hes going to a trainer in 4 weeks, and I would like to have him completely switched, and on it for a couple weeks before he goes. There will be enough changes when he gets there, having his food switched is just one less he can have.

I wouldnt use ivermectin as a first time dewormer, I would use safeguard, then 10 days later follow up with strongid, then wait 4 weeks and use ivermectin. This was from the advice of my vet regarding my colt who we got in with a high worm load. Ivermectin kills off too many worms too fast, and that can cause issues if they have a high worm load.

I would defiantly get the red halter off. Ive seen colts scratch their face with their leg and get a leg hung up in a halter, and thats with well fitting halters. To me, that halter is just an accident waiting to happen. I feel your pain on not being halter broke, Ive been there too. Usually a scoop of feed will get them into the catch pen, or stall, without a wrestling match out in the field.

Cute!

Weight comes quickly with a good deworming program, good dental, and extra food.

I would never leave haters on unattended... It's not always getting caught on a fence or feeder, but sometimes they will get their own foot or leg caught through even a good fitting halter. Risk of injury or death is never worth it!

Good luck,

Andrea

Thanks!

I do feed 3 times a day, like my big guys. Simply better for them. I think I can get Omolene here.

any more advice on these types of extras, what you give, what you prefer and why is very welcome!

I just wanted to add that they are so precious and I love the pictures of you playing with them. Took my big horses a while to get used to the minis also but now they are fast friends. Enjoy and keep posting pictures!

Oh they are just gorgeous - and you are going to have such fun with them!!
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I agree with the others - a good foal/weaner feed plus their hay (soft and leafy) and yes, please remove the headcollars before there is an accident. The little one who is wearing the very low fitted, loose headcollar could easily slide it off its nose and pop a front foot through it! Anyway, they already seem very happy to be close to you, so you should have no trouble with popping collars on and off as you are playing with them.

I also agree with the careful and steady worming progress. Get them sorted first and then switch to your herbal programme - as you know it does take a little while of regular use for the herbal wormers to be properly working/effective.

Good luck, and do keep the pictures and info coming as they progress.
default_yes.gif

I can definitely see why you're hooked!! What a pair of cuties!!! At those ages and heights, you can expect another 2-4 inches of growth in the next 2-3 years. I'm another one to 2nd a mare/foal feed like Omolene 300. It has 16% protein. I fed this to all my girls that I got as weanlings until they were two (officially two, not just January of their 2nd year).

Keep us posted...especially when you get to see what's under all those woolies in the spring!
default_wub.png

thank you so much for all this generous advice and cute compliments!

I really fell for the blue eyes, that one is mine, the other cutie loveable horsie is my boyfriend's.

Tonite we were able to catch them, remove the horrible red halter and replace by a brand new one well fitted! I tried the one we had bought and to my surprise it was perfect!

I was worrying less until I read your posts... I usually never halters on my horses. But with the minis I just wanted to leave them on for about 1 week, just the time to get them used to put them on and off without problems and remove the bad impression they from the breeder (halter caught means beeing forced to do something like deworming, triming, walking etc without any compassion and quickly)

Now I worry a bit.

Tomorrow I am off to the store to exchange the halter of mine. And we will catch them tomorrow night and play the halter game. Hopefully I can remove them completely then... or as soon as possible.

I am happy also, I was able to give them my herbal wormers.

I appreciate the suggesion of Safeguard and later on ivermectin. Thank you so much and I may go that way. I will take samples and run tests right after my first doses or herbal wormers, see and act accordingly.

I usually prefer to go the natural way, but the safety of the horses comes first and worms are dangerous, especially to babies.

I definetely will keep you posted and also take pictures! plenty of pictures.

I have videos to, will post sometime soon. My boyfriend is on the pictures and i am on the videos. Guess who was holding wich camera!

l can't wait 'til spring to see how they look under the fur either! The breeder told me he clips them the first summer. I may... if they shed to slow, their fur is really matted so I may have to.

Keep you posted.

millions of thanks!

If they are not hard to catch now, I would never leave a halter on a horse.... just for safety's sake.

I have had great luck with the Equine Jr feed Purina makes, along with good hay. It's great for growing babies. You will have so much fun with them, you won't be able to stand it, LOL Sorry they didnt come to you in a bit better condition though.

Latest posts

Back