The whole truth?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equanox

Reaction score
I have been watching post of horses for sale, and I see more people say must cut back for foals on the way/ sick or hurt must cut back, the list goes on. The thing that gets me is that you see several of these people sell these horses and go buy more! I am selling horses like the rest. Mostly selling out and not buying more. I do not always go by "market value". I say want a pet get a gelding, not a mare to breed to the stallion down the road. If you cannot spend $500.00 or more then how can you feed and look after this horse?

We are a small farm, and we spent good money for the horses when we started out. I do not buy into "Name brand" horses with fancy picture shots. I want natural form, plus fun at home/show. We have been selling most of our horses, slowly. We are not making money on the horses, and I have not bred the mares as I do not want more horses. That seems to be a problem for people, and I get "What is wrong with the horse then". Sorry I just have to vent, as I have had so many emails from people looking/ emails about auctions that I could sell at to "help" improve turn out, and horse flippers wanting a deal that I hate checking emails. We are going back in the show ring with some of our horses that are for sale, to find homes for them. Over 18 years in minis, and I hope that people keep the level high when you own/show/breed miniatures. What one person does effects us all. Sorry long post, and this is not about everyone.

I've sold horses because they were no longer right for my goals (though I never said I needed to cut back or even gave a reason that I recall). I just notice the horse if it looks like something right for me, but not so much "why" the current owner is selling.

Over the years, I notice some people buy horses one year and sell them the next, routinely. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to handle it that way, but that's their choice.

Well as one who will be putting out ads in the spring saying "life changes forces sale of horses", I can understand some of these ads. Certainly never thought my life would change as it has, but it did and the only way to deal with it is to cut back. Maybe in the future, you may see that I've bought horses if conditions should change around here. Maybe not. As I didn't foresee these changes in my future last spring, my mares are all bred. I may continue breeding in the future, but on a smaller scale. Haven't quite figured all that out yet.

Hello,

Unfortunately what one person does - does not effect all of the others. Marketing is a choice that anyone has and how they do it - whether you agree with it or not. Many good horses are sold by word of mouth or from the show ring (they must be quality in that case).

I hope this subject does not get beat up here again as so very many people look at this forum daily. Market value is what one person is selling the horse for and what the other person is willing to pay for it.

My thoughts for the day, this subject was just listed here not very long ago.

** I have seen many nice horses offered for sale on various sale boards at very reasonable prices, no matter what the reason for the sale.

Last edited by a moderator:
One should never pass judgement on another. You never truly know what is happening in someone's life and not everyone posts all their private business in public forums.

I think it is like any other "advertising" practices--some people are more "truthful" in their advertising than others. "Let the Buyer Beware," is a saying that goes back to Roman times--not without reason
default_biggrin.png

There are a number of websites that continually advertise reductions for this or that reason--I guess my point is does it really matter? Does it really matter the reason why someone is selling a horse? Money, personal situations--financial, goals etc. There are a thousand reasons to sell and a thousand reasons people buy.

More concerning to me would be where the horses go and to whom --

Methods of selling and advertising attract certain types of buyers--that's called target marketing.

or--"you reap what you sow."

I am new to minis, but have been a top breeder of dogs for 30 years. My sales/marketing is VERY different from other people in my breed. I have waiting lists for dogs, produce very few "pet quality" dogs (2 in te last 6 years out of 60), and close to 95% of my puppies are shown in the breed and performance rings--I also produce very few dogs with a very high percentage of those dogs who attain wins on a National and International level. I don't breed a litter until I have a certain number of what I consider top quality homes. My dogs go out on show contracts, are non transferrable and we track our dogs world wide for their life. I have vast amounts of information about my breeding progam, have long term goals. Also, none of my dogs are sold outright, they are ALL put out on a "partnership" agreement, and that includes breeding. It's VERY different than any of the other breeders in my breed. I also attract a very small number of very qualified people -- we all work together to bring these dogs to the top of the rankings whatever venue they are competing in. I have found through the years, that a group has a lot more power and ability to attain goals than one person alone and am grateful to some of the outstanding puppy people who have helped put my kennel in the fore front as one of the kennels to beat. Why? As a veterinarian, I see too many dogs discarded, abandoned, abused by their owners or just plain neglected. I talk at great length with my puppy people about their personal goals for their dog and help them achieve that goal, we discuss the money involved to do these things and it is realistic for that person to financially be able to achieve those goals--yes finances are a major factor with showing any type of animal., try very hard to place the right dog wit the right person for a lifetime partnership (I also require by contract that dogs are returned to me if the owner is unwilling or unable to keep the dog). Through these types of partnerships, I have been able to develop a very consistant breeding program (believe it or not I own and co-won close to 200 dogs world wide) and showing program that has put my kennel internationally as one of the top kennels in the world. I actually have satellite kennels that work in cooperation with me to help improve and promote their dogs. Yep it is alot of work, took a long time to get there, it's not without headaches, but helped me achieve my goal of producing a consistent quality, and consistent winning--which is my goal. I don't advertise at all. I work thru word of mouth and referral from previous puppy partners. This is just the way I do things, it doesn't work for everyone, nor is it the right way for everyone.

Linda

I don't look at why someone is selling or reducing numbers (I came very close to having to do that last year AND we are selling our BIG horses) due to LIFE changes... I look at what appeals to me and will fit in MY program and what I personally like. Most people think it will never happen to them and then WHAM! p.s.- I at least have the option of taking my time and finding GOOD homes for my BIGGIES and I am in no hurry (I can still LOVE on them)
default_yes.gif

Linda,

I agree in the large part of your post, It really doen't make a difference why a person is selling to us. We have long range goals we are trying to achieve and if a certain horse fits in our program, we will buy it if possible.

As with any breeding program worth its salt, it is all about trail and error. What works with my studs, mares etc may not work for others with different goals and/or objectives. They say that variety is the spice of life and what I want/like in a horse may be completely different than for someone else.

Also as an experienced breeder. you know that each and every year you have to evaluate your entire herd, no matter if that is 3 horses or 300 to make sure that the performance of your herd is heading where you want it to. Certain individuals that may have fit the program you had 5 years ago, may not work this year or next. But at the same time may be valuble to someone else's goals. :DOH!

Your advice of "buyer be aware" is an old and tried saying that applies to everything in our experience. That is not to say that folks/sellers are being dishonest or even emblessing the truth, but merely that each and every buyer needs to do their homework and understand what they are getting for their hard earned money. Hopefully the breeder/seller has also done the homework needed to make intelligent decisions about what to sell, buy or keep for the future of their personal animals/herd and the breed in general.
default_biggrin.png

I hear of people gettng out of the breed for all kinds of reasons and have in the past bought groups of horses from those type sellers in order to get one or two individuals in that group. Many times they do have personal reasons that are not made public. One lady in particular that we bought 7 horses from had her husband die in a car crash and she just could not mentally handle the day to day stress of taking care of her horses. Selling her entire group made a lot of sense to me, as versus not giving her horses the care they deserved. Now two years later she has worked through her probelms and is starting to get back into the horse and I for one am glad to see her back.
default_yes.gif

After a long and hard battle to come to terms with our decision, we decided to offer all of ours for sale. At this point that decision will remain so, until our last is gone. We have offered no detail as to why (but you're welcome to inquire if you need to know
default_wink.png
), and only hope for your understanding that we're in no mad rush to just "dump" them to the first "horse flipper" that comes along looking for a deal out of our circumstance.

Our horses are dearly loved, and are all priced as we honestly feel they are worthy, and if folks feel different of them, that is their rightly opinion. We're ok with hanging on to them however long is necessary to ensure optimal opportunity for the home that is right for each of them.

Till that happens for each, we do fully intend to keep enjoying each of them to the fullest of our capabilities, for as long as they remain with us. Lord willing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know what kills me alot of the want ads perfect horse for 500 bucks ie blue eyes prefered, buckskin, filly show quality breeding sound.

I never read the reason why anyones sellin ever I just check out the individual horse.

We quit breeding several years ago as it hurt me too much to sell my 'babies.' However, what scares me now is the recession I am afraid we are all facing. Every day I come to the computer and read about horses being 'seized' because of not being fed and now I see horses are just being turned loose in different areas to fend for themselves. This is happening already in several states and I'm afraid it's just the beginning. I did have a couple of geldings that we are in the process of training to drive (to give them a job) and I was going to sell them. Now I'm scared to. I don't want ANY of my horses to end up in a dead end auction or turned out to take care of themselves. Yes, I know there are people out there that will be able to afford them....but for how long? I have been told by someone who works at feed stores that it's very probably feed next year will triple in price! We are retired & on social security. We will not be able to keep all the minis we now have (we have 14 right now) and feed them like we should. So yes, life changes, but not sure what to do.

Pam

I am one who is reducing my herd and no, I am not buying any new horses at this time. I bought horses to breed for driving and I bought horses to breed for halter. I have realized that I am not getting any younger and really need to cut my herd in half. So almost all of my driving mares and some of my halter mares will be up for sale. Also, as I produce the fillies I am hoping to, I want to keep some of them, so in order to keep my herd at a level I can manage, some more mares will have to go. It is hard to do, as you get attached them. But, part of producing what I want, means upgrading my herd as I go. None of the horses that I have for sale do I consider junk. Many of them are really nice, but just do not fit into my breeding program anymore. I try to be honest about my horses and have even turned people from one that they may be interested in, becuase it really will not fit what they want, thus loosing a sale. But I would rather be honest and have a happy and perhaps repeat customer.

I am not one of those people who buy horses from someone else and sell them again right away for a profit. All of the horses for sale I have owned for a while, or bred here. Each and every one of them are special and as I said, hard to sell.

Its sad to see the ads. Makes you wonder if they are having problems that force them to sell their horses. I know someone that uses these phrases all the time. Gets people to buy a horse from them over someone else because they feel sorry for that person and they need the money. Yet, they turn around and get more horses. Sell them before the horse is even paid off.
default_no.gif
Poor things!

I'm a blatantly honest person. Sometimes bad. I sold a wonderful mare, but made sure the buyer knew that she was a little high strung and needed to be kept on a diet becuase she's a porker. And I didn't sell her at a bargain price to get rid of her, although I dropped her price significantly becuase I found a great home for her. Took months. But I sold her becuase at almost 3 years old, she was only going to be 31". She wasn't big into cart (couldn't compete with the bigger guys), and I was terrified to breed her. Told the lady this. The A club here isn't too huge. So we have to stick with bigger A minis to compete at the R shows.
default_rolleyes.gif

But I think people should be very honest with selling their horses, whether its a life change or just changing directions. Lets the minis have an honest chance at a great home.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back