The vet just left...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We do as Charlotte does, and spray everyone with fly spray, and for the ears, we use the roll on fly repellant that is in a white bottle with a blue lid and lettering. One year my driving gelding got ticks in both of his ears and they got infected. He wasn't pleasant to bridle there for a while! :new_shocked:

As for guineas, they don't make that much noise, just when threatened and even then they certainly can't rival our neighbor's rooster!!!! However, the guineas sometimes like to get on top of our house, and then I can hear them walking around and they peer over the edge of the roof at me when I step out my front door. If one of them poops on me........ Anyway, the guineas belong to the same neighbor that has the chickens, ducks, emu, peacock, dogs and pigs. Thankfully only the guineas and peacock run loose. That stupid peacock tried to walk inside my house one day, LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will the hens roost in juniper and pine trees?? That is mainly all we have around here for now. My biggest fear would be in drawing the cougars and coyotes in with the hens. We have our Anatolian puppy but he is not big enough or mature enough, yet to be their sole protector.

I am going to look up the Apple cider vinegar. Thanks for the links Reble.
default_smile.png
Is it safe to use on my broodmares?

Charlotte, I will look into ZONKIT as well and try to compare everything for what works best for us.

Kath, where do you get your Guinea Hens? Do they make alot of noise at night? My husband likes the peace and quiet around here and I like to get some rest now and again. :bgrin

Babygoose, I will check into the sulfur salt block too. Sounds like a great idea.

In the meantime, I am having my husband bring home some dental gloves tonight so I can start picking ticks off. Eeew!

We have chickens and they really cut down on bugs in general around our place. Love them. They also break apart the manure and help it to decompose faster.

Walmart carries ACV in big jugs and it is a natural healant and fly deterrant. LOVE the stuff.

I just got back from running to get the Frontline spray at the vets then going to the barn to start my 'extra' chores and start picking off ticks. It is amazing what I am comfortable doing with dental gloves on. :bgrin

I got pony sprayed down good and didn't find any ticks down low on her legs, etc. Mainly they are at the base of the mane, in that general area it seems although I could certainly be missing some with all that hair.

When I was at the feed store a man there overheard my conversation and said he uses the tick powder for horses off the shelf. He puts it from the mane down to the base of the tail once or twice a year on his horses and no longer has a tick problem. I didn't have time to check it out on the shelf but I believe it has the same ingredient in it that Charlotte's fly spray has: permethrin. I am learning that is the ingredient in many of these products for good tick control.

We are trying the Frontline spray every couple days for two weeks followed by the OTC powder from the feed store if the spray doesn't get them all. We are crossing our fingers for a good outcome.

Edited to add: Babygoose, our vet said to try the sulfur salt block too and see if that would help. I will be getting a couple tomorrow.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad to hear the vet recommended trying the sulfer block too. Several people told me to use one and I was doubtful but tried it anyway. I have never heard any body else suggest it since, but it seemed to work based on the amount of ticks the neighbors horses had while mine were tick free. I wondered if maybe it was just an eastern OR thing!

I used to live in John Day by the way, and I went to college in La Grande. Oregon is a great state but I don't miss the cold now that I am living in the desert. I do miss the mountains though.
default_sad.png

Let me know if the sulfer block seems to help.

Glad to hear the vet recommended trying the sulfer block too. Several people told me to use one and I was doubtful but tried it anyway. I have never heard any body else suggest it since, but it seemed to work based on the amount of ticks the neighbors horses had while mine were tick free. I wondered if maybe it was just an eastern OR thing!

I used to live in John Day by the way, and I went to college in La Grande. Oregon is a great state but I don't miss the cold now that I am living in the desert. I do miss the mountains though.
default_sad.png

Let me know if the sulfer block seems to help.
We are east of Prineville so about 1 1/2 hours or so west of John Day. They call our area the 'High Desert' as we do stay pretty dry however, we do get some of that cold, dry weather in the winter with the occasional snow shower. It has been pretty balmy as of late. I am hoping for a good freeze to kill off these ticks!
default_yes.gif
:

Debra,

We also have a lot of ticks in our area. We have banty chickens and they seem to have really helped decrease the wood tick popultion.

My vet has told me to put a drop of alcohol or nail polish on them to help them release their hold on the horses. Another suggestion is to treat them with Ivermectrin(the oral dewormer) and repeat it again in 7 days.

Once you have removed the ticks make sure to dispose of them in an area where the horses can't ingest them. They are certainly nasty little things plus the fact that they can carry so many diseases. Heavy infestation can also cause anemia in animals.

The ticks were terribly here last spring, so I started asking around. Vet said to use Frontline and I've found that it works. Farrier suggested a light dusting with 7 Dust (the same stuff people use in their garden for bugs). He said just put some in a sock and every few days just lightly dust down their mane, legs and tale tops.

Just remember when removing ticks if you make them back out or pinch the body you risk them spilling everything they have in their gut, back into the host. Ehrlichia, Lyme Disease, Rocky mountain spotted fever etc, plus the normal ickies. It may be time consuming but proper removal is the safest bet. Get a pair of needle nose tweezers and grasp the tick by the head, if you get a skin tag, all the better. Then gently pull back while twisting. This isnt a 100% foolproof way, but its the best.

Guinea fowl and chickens are great for eatting ticks. Have also heard that goats are good, think that somehow they have a natural repellant, dont know for sure. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back