The Texas Miniature Horse Nuns are moving on.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txminipinto

Reaction score
Nuns are moving on.

You know, I've lived here all of my life within an hour of the nuns and have never visited. Its too bad there aren't younger sisters available to continue the farm.

That's too bad. It was nice to see that the paper actually got the horse facts right, size, weight, etc.

I wonder how many horses they have that they are worth $300,000?

Best of luck to the Sisters in their future endeavors.

I didn't realize there were so few nuns left in residence. It's a shame but understandable...we all know how much work is involved. We took the kids out there many years ago, long before we had any interest in having minis. It was a neat field trip, cute little horses but just shaggy little things. The next time I went was probably about 6 years later, and came home with several mares from their production sale. I wish them well in whatever direction they take in the future.

Jan

Wow I have old magazines with information on them but never dreamed they were still producing foals.

Have they been advertising and selling them all these years????

Oh no! That is so sad. I actually got to meet Sister Bernadette on a visit there. She was such a happy person.

Charlotte

Last edited by a moderator:
Joanne, I haven't been over there in years but I'm sure they haven't been very active. A dozen years ago they had at least an annual sale at the Monastery, horses in training, etc. I think the sales were discontinued a long time ago and I haven't seen their name on a horse in ages.

Jan

Vaya Con Dios dear ladies, you brought a lot of joy to folks during the years you were involved with the mini's. I wish you well in the future!!!
default_wub.png

The last sale for these ladies was about 8 years ago, They also acceptted a few consignment horses and the sale just did not make much, if any money for them. The order had to subsist on what the minis, tours etc brought in and it has diminished over the years.

Too bad a piece of mini history lost for sure!
default_sad.png

What an interesting article! I guess it would never have occurred to me that nuns would be raising miniature horses! But, it certainly seems apropos. After all, I think I am always "spiritually lifted" each time I'm involved with my horses.

What a shame to see them 'close up shop'- I agree they have certainly been a part of Mini history. And I agree Diane, Carmelite has some lovely horses. They also have some solid colored stallions that are beautiful and some top mares of all colors. I wouldnt mind having a horse or two from them!

It is a very large property and operation. Have been there on several occassions in past years to what was their annual auction -- probably 1999 was the last year I went. Sister Bernadette was a charmer, a very special person. Most of the nuns were elderly then and she felt it was a mission that would scale down because of this, if nothing else.

When running, their auctions were nice and well attended. As we know, that was in the more "golden" days of minis.
default_rolleyes.gif
Sweet memories abound.

I wish them well in whatever they do.

Latest posts

Back