The New Barn - Update 07/24/09

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job...I'm sure your babies will be very happy and love it in there!

Just beautiful!!! You must be so excited. You will have to let us know how your babies like it. You have some good ideas, I'm storing them for future reference if I ever get my own place
default_smile.png

Just beautiful!!! You must be so excited. You will have to let us know how your babies like it. You have some good ideas, I'm storing them for future reference if I ever get my own place
default_smile.png
Thanks, thats what I did with mine. Took ideas I seen and made them my own.

You are so wonderful to post with detailed pictures. For everyone of us posting there are probably 10 reading! I have a special barn file. I love your barn! What will you fill the stalls with under the mats? And will you leave the aisle dirt? Are the sidewalls 5' or 7'? And are those guys carpenters? Also where did they purchase the barn door hardware to hang the door on? Sorry for so many questions, but this is the barn I want! By far my favorite. So it seems you did all the planning from others for me LOL! So excited for you!

You are so wonderful to post with detailed pictures. For everyone of us posting there are probably 10 reading! I have a special barn file. I love your barn! What will you fill the stalls with under the mats? And will you leave the aisle dirt? Are the sidewalls 5' or 7'? And are those guys carpenters? Also where did they purchase the barn door hardware to hang the door on? Sorry for so many questions, but this is the barn I want! By far my favorite. So it seems you did all the planning from others for me LOL! So excited for you!
Its no problem. I just love having people to share it with who I know feel the exact same way I do!

The stalls right now were leveled with process dirt. So was the aisle way. But I'm going to lay stone dust down Monday and then inside the stalls will be mats.

The sidewalls, I'm guessing the dividers, I believe they are 5ft. Around there. I could measure them to get a more accurate height.

The guys who did it were in fact carpenters. My uncle gave me his time for free. But his worker cost me 20 an hour. So about 160 a day.

The barn hardware I actually purchased at Home Depot. The barn track is the round style. Agway and Tractor Supply carry it.

Hope this helps in your planning!

Ooooh what a pretty barn!

Are you going to seal the wood with something so the horses don't chew it? All of my horses would chew up that wood in a day... just for fun...

I bet you are SO excited! Congrats! I think the finishing touches are the most fun...

Andrea

That has turned out so great! Congrats!

Would it be too rude to ask what you think you've put into it $$$ wise altogether?

That has turned out so great! Congrats!
Would it be too rude to ask what you think you've put into it $$$ wise altogether?
Not at all. I'm going to say we probley put $3,000 into it. There are other ways to make things a little cheaper. The barn track just in itself was 500 and change. The wood probley cost around $1,000 maybe a little more. I don't know forsure yet. I just know the largest batch we had delivered was $600. Laborer cost me $500 for a total of 3 days work. But I also bought buckets and I wanted the more expensive hardware becuase I liked it. lol :eek:)

Very cute. I don't know if it has been said yet or not, the only thing you may want to consider doing is along the back wall of the stalls( and the walls on the end stalls) is to place plywood or 1"x? so the horses don't chew the joists out of the walls. If it is a smooth surface it is harder for them to chew on it, if it is raised they will do a number on it, there little beavers!!!!

Very cute. I don't know if it has been said yet or not, the only thing you may want to consider doing is along the back wall of the stalls( and the walls on the end stalls) is to place plywood or 1"x? so the horses don't chew the joists out of the walls. If it is a smooth surface it is harder for them to chew on it, if it is raised they will do a number on it, there little beavers!!!!
Carolyn thank you, its something we have been discussing to do. One of my partners horses is very messy in the rear, she tends to be loose stooled and she will back right up to the wall and go. So I'm trying to look into that panneling they use for cattle or wash stalls that I can easily clean.

Back