The Journal

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ASPC/AMHR had made plans for 2 years to participate in the World Equestrian Games (WEG) Thousands of dollars were spent from the Marketing budget. Many members had made reservations and been through a lot getting their horses ready to go. Then a conference call was done and it was decided by the BOD to pull of out WEG. Just a bad situation all around. That money could have done so many great things and now it was just thrown away. I feel so bad for the members who took all that time getting their horses ready and vaccinated etc. Im amazed that something that was in the works for 2 years got cancelled at the last minute do to unforseen expenses. I dont blame the board but something is defintely not right about this situation

Kay just want to know what that has to do with the April May Journal coming and now its the middle of June and the next issue is due the middle of July.Please explain.

If the Journal is coming out late, can our entries for Congress or Nationals be late?

If the Journal is coming out late, can our entries for Congress or Nationals be late?
IMO ads are down due to the late arrival many times of the magazine.I know of several people who no longer place ads since the event is over opr deadline past for entering when the magazine finally arrives.This has been an on going situation for quite a while.My Journal with agenda for Convention often arrives after I have left home for the meeting.I don't feel prepared when I get there.I thibnk things could be much better, but I don't have the answers-just seems very unprofessional to me.

Sorry Frannie I was replying to this

WEG is the World Equestrian Games to be held in Kentucky in October, I think it is. I have no idea what the involvement of the AMHR/ASPC is but, judging by one of the comments above, it sounds like some of our people will be participating/competing. I'm sure someone will explain it better than I have.

I do feel the pulling out of WEG is probably why the Journal is late. One whole issue (not sure which issue) was supposed to be dedicated to WEG so Im sure lots of stuff is having to be redone

I Know the April May issue is suppose to have many peoples All Star results and ads in it. It is such a same that the Journal is so late. Thanks for the explanation Kay. They need to find a way to get this magazine back on track, coming out on time and people wanting to advertise again in it.

I agree - I don't understand why this is acceptable.

April/May should have come out by April 1

June/July should have come out by June 1

So we are 2 out of 6 behind.

I was told the majority of our membership fees go towards the Journal. So, where did this money go? If I purchased a product from a business and they didn't provide the product, I would expect a refund.

Sorry Frannie I was replying to this

I do feel the pulling out of WEG is probably why the Journal is late. One whole issue (not sure which issue) was supposed to be dedicated to WEG so Im sure lots of stuff is having to be redone
As a previous editor, that is why backup articles are kept to fill in when a story can not make a deadline. Because of knowing when to pull an article or drop in another story, allowed me to manage a magazine for 4 years with only two issues being late. One issue being one week and the second being almost two weeks. And my issues were mailed within the first two weeks of the cover date.

Now bulk rate mailing was a problem because people did not know that bulk rate is delivered only when the mail carrier had the space to deliver the item. In fact bulk rate mail can sit up to two weeks before it has to be delivered. But you have to get it from the printer before it can get mailed.

And they still don't have the Nationals info on there yet. I do applaud them for putting up Congrees and even Convention stuff so early, but wheres Nationals, so many people look forward too that.

Anyways back to the Journal I think they really need to step up. It has been one excuse after another. This is redicolous. Like I have said before our membership money goes towards getting a Journal if this keeps up can we make it to where we can get the Journal seperate? Probably not. I don't have a clue whats going on with the registry anymore, obviously there are still folks on here who didn't know they pulled out of the WEG. This is redicolous, how much money did they spend already? Kind of like pulling out of horsestudbook.com. We as members need information and they said that the Journal is the only place for it. No its not, you can update that website and make it members friendly. Put up registry news, please. As for the Journal being online I don't really care, I have dial-up so I'm not sitting there waiting for each page to load. IMO I think if you put a ad up and its past that deadline if it had a deadline towards the ad, you should get your money back.

All I can say is that a professional organization does things in a professional manner. Ongoing problems for several years with late issues is not professional. Excuses are not professional.

And the magazine keeps getting thinner and thinner with less and less revelent content.

It is now time for the Journal to step up and make their advertisers happy because if they pull out there may not be a magazine. It's all about the advertising folks, no advertisers equal no money, period. Eventually, it will cost the organization so much to produce with no ad money to offset it that it could potentially be done away with. Trust me, I have seen this happen before. Personally, I would offer any of the advertisers if they committed to purchasing an ad in the upcoming magazine, an upgrade. For example, a half page could be bumped to a full page or a black and white ad could be in color. You get the idea, I'm sure. There are many ways to make it up to the customers, it's just a matter of how much the organization cares.

These are just my personal opinions which have been greatly influenced by being married to a very respected publishing family.
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe they are just trying to save money so they can send more ponies to China?
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back