The horse on the mountain

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
During the summer I noticed the young deshelved man riding a horse down the center of the road.

The young man is noted for being broke down with every vehicle he has ever had on a daily basis. You'd see him stuck all over the place. He'd have a different junk car or truck ever week, one just as bad as the last. He came here to the house a few times to get some parts for one of his trucks. He's a nice person and we chatted briefly, and he bought one of Dan's 4 wheelers to fix up to use for transportation, but he never got that going at all. So now, he's on a horse.

The horse is a Spotted Walking Horse, very common around here and the popular choice. His horse is old and so worn out, and not very pretty to look at, and can use a few good pounds. His saddle is falling apart and he keeps a halter on him under the bridle and the horse is usually packed down with a lot of stuff.

Coming up the mountain in the pouring down rain last week, there he was about half way up on his horse pulled over by the guard rails over looking the cliffs just standing there under some thick trees for shelter from the rain. I was concerend that the horse of course would spook and they'd go plumetting to their death, but nope. The trusty old steed just stood quietly. The roads being so steep and narrow and twisty and turny I worried that the horse would skid on the slippery road even though he didn't have any shoes, it would be still a struggle for the horse to get to the top or head down to the bottom of the mountain. Either way it's so dangerous to be riding a horse up and down the side of a mountain in a two lane narrow road during "rush hour" with semis and logging trucks and people speeding on it.

Seen him once, cantering down the middle of the road in front of my house too. The horse just does anything he is asked to do.

I've seen them almost daily riding in traffic along the highway, and tied up in the parking lot in town while he went to get some groceries in the store there. Saw him again go by a few nights ago in the dark riding double, had an old man behind his saddle. The horse just plods along, never complains.

The horse is loosing a lot of weight. Dan tells me this guy doesn't even have a house but lives in part of an old trailer out in the woods.

I packed up some beet pulp and thought I would offer it to him next time I saw him. And so there they came by late last night and stopped out front to talk to the boys playing basketball out in the driveway.

The horse's name is Lightening. Says he's 10. Not a chance. I'd double that and then add some but I didn't say anything.

Seems he traded one of his broken down cars for the horse. Poor horse is loaded with scars all over his face and body and legs. He stinks badly and I saw some ribs so I know that backbone has got to be coming up under that saddle. There's not much left to his feet.

I went out and offered him the beet pulp and told him to just feed a little bit soaked well every day. Felt it was better than feeding him nothing. I put a small scoop in the bag for him and gave him a small bucket for it. He never heard of it but said he was feeding the horse ears of corn sometimes. He was very excited and grateful and tied it on the back of his saddle with his other things. I think the horse will be too. I know I have some extra saddle pads and bridles around here someplace that I plan on giving him, and a girth. He really needs a girth. His is held on to the saddle by wire. So next time I see him come by I'll ask him if he wants anything like that. Don't want to insult. Then I left him to talk to the boys, went back to my chores, watching that horse just stand there loose in my driveway not moving an inch, while they all played basketball and dribbled and shot hoops all around him.

I'd really like to have that old horse and spoil him rotten. He's such a steady old horse that has obviously had a heck of a life and should live out his days and pass to Rainbow Bridge someday like the prince he really is and maybe once was. But I don't dare..........Jerry would just kill me, divorce me and leave me, and of course Sonny would kill us all...........but I did tell him that if he ever had to get rid of him not to let him go to auction but to tell me first. I really look forward to seeing them go by. I'd like to take a picture next time they come by.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty - so nice of you to give him some of your extra things and some beetpulp. Sounds like a wonderful horse, can't wait to see pics. I hope the horse is getting enough to eat and the young man too.

oh, this just pulls at my heart. you are so generous. i think if i were you, id maybe offer him an old bicycle??? or maybe some money to buy a bicycle or put towards a car. that poor poor horse. im sure your husband would understand if you took him in, how could he not feel bad seeing that poor thing? keep us updated, please.

What a wonderful horse!!! Sounds like they are all down on their luck the horse and the people. How many people are only getting around on horseback these days, other than of course the Amish etc. That is very nice of you to offer him some equipement. I know the horse will be thrilled to get more saddle pads and a decent girth. Sounds like his poor body doesnt have much padding. Boy u sure see some sad things dont u up there?

On a totally different note Garrison is your married last name right? I know u used to live in fl but is the Garrison side of the family FROM florida? Garrison is my maiden name and we come from a long line of early settlers in florida. I have always wondered if we might be distant KIN FOLK.

Must understand that people don't like to take handouts so must be careful when offering things. I won't go out of my way to offer anything unless opportunity happens to strike again. Must not insult. This young man does work. He's a logger and they work very hard. The horse is his only means of transportation. A lot of people do this, but usually have vehicles too. I'd really like to get his picture though and I think he might like that if I print him out a copy. Will be keeping an eye out for him this week.

Jerry is a Kentucky grown Garrison from the Lexington area. Being a native I bet you grew up on swamp cabbage.

Oh Marty, I do hope you can help put some meat on that horses bones. It tears at my heart to see a horse in sad shape. If the young man does have a job, he must earn money so maybe what he needs is some good advice on feeding his horse. Know you will be kind and non insulting in offering him some advice when the right moment comes up. Pictures please! And thank heaven for kind people like you. Mary

Marty,

You are one big hearted lady. And I'm sure with some gentle guidance from you, he will discover what a gem of an old horse he has and how to treat him.

So often it's fellows like your neighbor that are just ignorant and don't really intend to be mean or neglectful.

MA

So, Marty, is there any way that this horse could be put into a pasture that you are cust cutting anway? Winter is coming and you know without weight it's gonna be a mighty tough time for both of them. That barn that you are going to raze, any part of it that could be taken to "the woods" for even a lean to for the horse?

Oh, my, I wish you hadn't told us about this gentle ole ride, now I'm worrying
sad.gif

You are misunderstanding. This horse is not this guy's friend or pet, he is merely his transportation and nothing more to him than that. I"m not big hearted or generous and I'm not a do-gooder or anything like that and I'm not offering guidence. Just a little bag of beet pulp. He seemed glad to get it and that was all. I'll never use all I have and need to share it before it gets too old. I found some tack and other horse junk and if I see him come around I'll ask if he needs it, not a big deal because I need the space anyhow so no need keeping things I don't need anymore. I just admire this old horse so much, but I had better get him off my mind too.

This man doesn't live anywhere near me. He lives down the mountain and across the highway from us, but I assume he is logging up here. Have not seen him since I posted but would like to get his pic if he'll let me. And no, I would not offer him a place here for his horse (besides I'm out of space) which I am sure has not seen a vaccination or a wormer in years. He's a logger so he can get wood and build what he wants easily if wanted to but I think he keeps the horse on his father's old farm because thats the place his old trailer is on out in the woods. I don't mind sharring if I can but I have to mind my own business and don't get pushy which is the only way we lasted up here this long.

Just bag up a few things you think he needs and you can spare and tell him you had to clear them out as you are moving barns and he'd be doing you a favour taking them. Which is almost true anyway as I know you would be glad to see them put to good use. If you can spare a bit you might bottle up some venice turps and tell him of it's uses- he seems a good enough sort he would probably be glad of it. I understand what you are saying about "charity" but if you make suggestions he understands he will come back to you for advice and that can only be a good thing. If he does not, well then, you tried, at least!! When you give him the bag you could mention you have other stuff around somewhere- if he thinks of anything else he could use to let you know. So long as he feels you would throw it out otherwise he will not feel he is being offered "handouts". The bag of stuff he would understand anyway as I know you folks help each other out, and you have horses and he has a horse so there is something you have in common. I commend you for your sensitivity in this matter Marty, I hope you can give this horse a bit of help as well. This lad sounds like he's OK to me, just not very good at looking after things- cars, 4 wheelers, horses
smile.gif
Good Luck!!

new_shocked.gif
Boy-howdy do I understand what you're saying Marty as I have family up in the hills of southeast Alabama. They take insult real easy if yoi imply in any way that they can't conduct their own business. My mom's side of the family are on a little bittie island and it is the same with them. Very touchy with charity.

Wow, who would of thought - a horse for transportation now a day's...To bad that this old fello had to fall in to the hands of someone who doesnt take care of his "possessions" though...Please keep us updated as I know you will, Lori

I do understand that this horse is NOT his friend -- just his transportation. Only wish he had bought another old car
new_shocked.gif
at least the "car" can't feel and this horse can. I don't give a rat's butt if the car doesn't have gas to run, or if it rusts or freezes...........but this ole horse has a heart not a battery and obviously is not going to be well if the owner knows NOTHING about that fact.

no.gif
I wish I could take him away. It will be a concern all winter.

If in good weight and all, he'd make it. As you describe him, it's not going to be easy for him and I can tell that he just doesn't deserve this continuing bad treatment in his life. I'm sad over him.
unsure.gif
, that's all.

Back