The horse name CLICHE`

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Misty. Another pretty common name, I have in my herd, Honey. My bay stallion is Dakota.

My more uncommon names: Cheddar (half-Arab gelding), Hayley (APHA mare), Caddy (prounced K D - mini filly), Tana, Showgirl, and Che` (short for Paper Mache`).

There tends to be certain horse names you just hear over and over, names EVERYONE has, almost like a name cliche`. So I thought this would be funny to see how many of you (inevitably) have horses with the following common barn names. The naming threads around here got me thinking.....
default_laugh.png

I'll start with the list,

Coco

Sugar

Princess

Prince

Spirit

Angel

Misty

Sunny

Goldie

Buck

Red

Teddy

Smokey

Patch

Cowboy/Cowgirl

Lady

Star

...Alright, I bet all of you must have at least one of those! Thought it would be funny to see how different one person's horse could be from another with the same name.
default_new_rofl.gif

My "Sugar" is a black and white pinto. click

My "Princess" is a buckskin pinto click

And at the barn where my big horse is, there are 3 Misty's - a buckskin pinto pony, a black Tennessee Walker, and grulla pinto, also 2 Missy's, so talking about one of any of those 5 is very confusing. Then there's three Coco's - a Fresian, a bay quarter horse cross, and a thoroughbred. We are on the 4th Teddy now, this one is a Fjord. There are 3 Spirit's, a buckskin and two grey arab geldings. There's this guy at our barn who is on his probably 5th palomino horse - they have all been named Sunny or some form of that. rofl. And, my friend has a black mini mare with a star, named Star.

So, for fun comparison, tell me about YOUR barn name cliche` horses. And feel free to add to my list.
default_biggrin.png

I have, or have had, some of those.
default_yes.gif
Not a lot though; my horse's barn names are shortened versions of their registered names.

Spirit-- my bay pinto riding gelding. His brother's name is Phantom (black and white gelding with ice-blue eyes).

Sunny-- Irish Hills Waterloo Sunset

Treasure-- Magic Mist Treasure of Bonsai

My other barn names are:

MayMay

Frost

Mirage

Spring

Sis

Wildfire

Mia

Secret

Fire

Rage

Rowdy (that's likely a common one!)

Kat

Lucy

Dominique

Bonnie

Delight

Cotton

Velvet

Appsolute

Desiree`

Mercedes

Razzy

Fury

Wings

Streaker

Louie

Rev

default_aktion033.gif
Wow awesome how many of you have these! lol. I love all of your "original" barn names too. And thanks for adding the ones I forgot!

default_laugh.png

I'd be shunned by my family if I named one of my animals something run-of-the-mill...however, a couple came with names and were too insecure to be given a new moniker.

Our horses, dogs and cats (other than the aforementioned) are named after jazz musicians and singers and one jazz standard. Scarlet Ribbons came with her name, which I then discovered is the name of a song recorded by a number of jazz greats.

Our newest addition, our Maltese girl, came with the name Billie, which then became Billie Holliday. So we have:

Horses

Mingus (for bassist Charles Mingus)

Thelonius ( for pianist Thelonius Monk)

Pastorius (for bassist Jaco Pastorius)\

Scarlet Ribbons

Billie Holliday (dog)

Carlos Santana (cat)

Quite a jam session!

They all forgive the ones with more mundane names (Shadow, Teddy, and Willoughby)

Sadly, our composer Antonio Carlos Jobim (kitten) disappeared, so Keith is left to write all of the music...

We have:

Spirit-palomino

Angel-used to have, chestnut pinto

Buck-We have a buckskin Bucky

Red-used to, chestnut i believe

Patches-bay pinto

Cowboy-Smoky buckskin pinto & a sorrel

Lady-Bay pinto

Star-mousey color

I don't have any of those here......

me neither, at least not off the original list, have to get back in and read through the rest. the closest is my newest horse is Sunshine but she is NOT called Sunny...

Editd to add ok here's the original list

Coco - i know a bird by this name

Sugar - my friend's mare

Princess - almost bought a horse by this name, and 2 of my minis since sold were named this but i changed it

Prince

Spirit

Angel

Misty

Sunny - i have known a ton of horses by this name although some spelled Sonny

Goldie

Buck - my friend's horse and she promised if she doesn't outlive him, he is mine
default_biggrin.png

Red

Teddy - one of our rescue ponies ended up being called Teddy

Smokey - my daughter's horse is Gunsmoke but she calls him Smoke or Smokey for short

Patch - oh yeah, have known several paint horses with this name!

Cowboy/Cowgirl

Lady - this was my mom's dog LOL

Star - my cousin's pony

i think Rebel should be added to the list, i have known several of those too!

some of ours that i have seen around a lot:

Trooper

Skeye (although not spelled like mine)

Luna

Destiny

Katie

Wiley

Maggie

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Im trying to think but I think you have most of mine already mentioned except:

"Rummy -grulla 2 yr old stallion Rum Runner Delight

Amy silver bay with star Amaretto Delight

Techno also I think silver bay brood mare 4 G's 3 Red Starlett

Roy Boy Palomino stallion Maine Pride Crown Royal

Helen Keller palomino pinto blind filly "Blinded by the Light"

Inky/Peanut black and white yearling filly Roko Maine Pride of Lotto

Shelby black and white yearling filly

Chrissy bay brood mare SRF Charisma

another common one that we have is Baby who happens to be the biggest mare we own at 34 inches.

My horses barn names, colour and registered names are:

Mystee(bay mini filly-Miss B Haven Mystee Lady SPH)

Dawn(chestnut mini mare with flaxen mane and tail-Benview's Special Dawn)

Dandy(black mini mare-Cherokee Stables Ohso Dandy)

Finn(palomino few spot appaloosa mini colt-Sarabeau's Infinity And Beyond)

Kid(silver dapple mini colt-Cross Country New Kid In Town)

Booker(grey pinto mini stallion-Goat Hills One For The Books)

Sanka(chocolate silver dapple mini gelding-Cool Running Sanka SPH)

Phancy(bay arabian mare-SPH Phancyphire)

Sameera(bay arabian mare-SPH Sameera Sunnphire)

Glory(half Quarter Horse palomino filly-Morning Suns' Golden Glory)

Jyspy(chestnut pinto mini filly-Unquestionably Cute Jypsy Rose SPH)

Bree(chestnut mini filly-Timberyork's Inquistive Embrace)

Sky(silver bay appaloosa mini mare-Risquefishers Winter Sky)

Macey(black mini mare-Minni Spark Black Blinker No5)

Chrissy(red bay mini mare-Benview Christina)

Harley(chestnut mini mare-Leaning Pines Harlequin Romance)

Lita(silver buckskin pinto mini mare-Sweetwaters Little Carmelita)

Candy(buckskin pinto mini mare-Town And Country Candy)

Peanut(chestnut snowflake appaloosa mare-Sharptails Peanut Butter)

I use to have a pony named Princess, a arabian mare named Starr, and a arabian mare named Angel.

I had a Misty and a Star (full name was Starbaby). I also had a Cody, which is a popular name. Currently I have:

Gracie

Firefly (I call her Bug)

Poppy

Christmas Snow (Chrissy)

Mary

Mr. Bojangles (Beau)

Liz

I have 6 minis and 3 of them are on your list. Lady, Princess and Star (but I changed her name to Mystic when I bought her). My other 3 minis's names are Armani, Contessa and Cheyenne. I am expecting two babies this year and am already working out names for them. Believe me they will NOT be on that list!
default_wink.png

Gosh I didn't realize my barn names were so unusual. After reading 3 pages I didn't see any of them. 'course I only have 5 horses.
default_wink.png
Mine are

Dee

Bambi

Kitty

Kappy

Toto

I have

Sugar (my Best friends horse)

Bucky (best horse I ever owned
default_wub.png
:

Patch (an awesome paint who was allergic to the sun
default_sad.png
)

But have also had

Mystery Image (my first horse)

Sapphire (An arab mare who I butted heads with)

Gentleman (was anything but...)

Superior Chance (loved this guy)

Jessy (lovely QH mare)

Easy Rider (a good ole sole)

Yeah, I have (or have had) a couple of them too!!

Misty-only mine is spelled Mistee (very light palomino mare) she came with the name

Sugar-used to ride a mare named Sugar

I'm surprised Ginger isn't on there. Seems to be a lot of them around. My first mini mare is Ginger. She is 25 this year!
default_wub.png

My others are:

Gabriella (Gabby-chestnut broodmare)

Jordan (silver dapple gelding)

Tas (bay stallion)

Camilla (silver dapple pinto filly)

Mary Lou (mini donkey)

Java Joe (mini donkey)

oh and can't forget the big horses

Anoki (my PMU pinto dressage horse)

Amadeus (my coaches' Hannoverian - reg as Wolfgang Amadeus)

Wolfie (my coaches' Dutch Warmblood - reg as Mozart......and no, they didn't name either of them...those were the names they came with....and they bought them about 3 or 4 years apart! :DOH! )

~kathryn

You kidden? My barn names go more like

"On Dasher on Dancer on Donner and Blitzen".........hehe..............

Sonny with an "O"

Holly

Nick

Silver Belle

Angel

Glory

Tiny Tim

Noelle

Brite Star

Merry Beth

Chrissy

We have~

Lucky (sorrel B.S. mare, she was lucky we got her so that's her name
default_smile.png
)

Stormy (blood bay Arab mare, she had a rough start to her life, was also named after a foal we lost that she looked exactly alike)~her registered name is "GHA Stormy's Moniet"

Rowdy a.k.a Rascal (minimally marked chestnut Paint, he's a rowdy/rascally boy!)~his registered name is "Racketor's Lil' Rascal"

Shadow (pure black Morgan)~his reg. name is "EDM High Country Lad"

Ginger (chestnut Quarter Pony, named her after the horse in the movie Black Beauty)~her reg. name is "Ginger Snap"

Prince (blk/white pinto grade pony, we named him Prince to go along with our Princess)

Sonny (chestnut 1/2 mini)

Kowboy (bay pinto mini, named after a full sized Paint that we lost that he looked like)~ reg. name is "Knight Stars Kool Kowboy"

Cherry (chestnut mini)~reg. name is "LB Cherry Twist"

Rusty (silver bay mini, rusty in color)~reg. name is "Spirit Thunders Rusty Gold"

Spirit (chestnut pinto mini, he's a VERY spirited boy!)

Princess a.k.a Trouble (chestnut pinto mini, she likes to think she's a princess but she's a load of trouble lol! also named after a pony that we lost a couple years ago who she looked like)~reg. name is "Fifth Avenue Chucks Trouble"

We've had~

Cowboy (bay Paint)

Princess (chestnut pinto Shetland pony, she was more of the spoiled brat type Princess lol)

Cinnamon (silver bay Shetland pony, cinnamon in color)

Charm (B.S. mare, she was a charmer! Very nice mare)

I've had a Flame, Orion, Imp, Casper and Red and currently, Bee Gee, short for "JC's Blaze Of Glory."

And at the barn where my big horse is, there are 3 Misty's - a buckskin pinto pony, a black Tennessee Walker, and grulla pinto, also 2 Missy's, so talking about one of any of those 5 is very confusing. Then there's three Coco's - a Fresian, a bay quarter horse cross, and a thoroughbred. We are on the 4th Teddy now, this one is a Fjord. There are 3 Spirit's, a buckskin and two grey arab geldings. There's this guy at our barn who is on his probably 5th palomino horse - they have all been named Sunny or some form of that. rofl. And, my friend has a black mini mare with a star, named Star.

That sure made me laugh!
default_biggrin.png
The guy with the palomino's seems to be stuck in a rut when it comes to names.
default_wink.png

I don't have any of those here, my girls are Kassie and Covergirl. The only pets here with cliche' names are our cats.

Latest posts

Back