The difference some good feed makes :)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaykay

Reaction score
This is Ben a pony I came across that no one wanted. He got passed around as no one really knew what he was or his potential. We call him ben because the poor guy has "been there done that" This guy has an awesome pedigree and imo is just stunning. He will be moving to lewella's soon and Im sure going to miss him. I get asked a lot about feed and conformation. I think these pics show how conformation changes a lot once a horse is fed properly. A diamond in the rough for sure!!!

Ben the first night here first week of Jan. Too thin. Hips sticking out, thin neck etc

russben3-361x262.jpg

rustypettingben-310x244.jpg

Ben 3 weeks later already showing improvement. Being fed good hay 4 times per day plus body builder. You can see the hips and neck starting to fill in

benmeetsblack-409x299.jpg

Ben now.

bentrot-431x339.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You've done a wonderful job with Ben, he looks great
default_aktion033.gif

Wow, Kay--what a difference!! Is he a gelding? He has a stallion look about him. What are Lewella's plans with him?

I'm thinking the feed made a great difference, but most likely it was that Baxter loving that gave him shine, pep, hope, and that twinkle in his eye.
default_yes.gif
default_wub.png

A too thin horse--hmm--don't think I've seen one of those around these parts.
default_rolleyes.gif

He is a stallion and will be Lewellas new foundation herd sire
default_smile.png
Lewella is better at the bloodlines then I am but he goes back to some very nice older bloodlines. His half brothers and other siblings are really cleaning up right now in the show circuit. I think he kept getting passed around to people that had no experience with horses so they just didnt have a clue as to what he is. He has never been handled and was not even halter broke, so we are still workign on that

To me he even stands differently and with more confidence. And of course as his weight goes up his attitude goes up LOL. I always warn people that thin horses personalities change dramatically once they are fed up and get their energy back. Ben got his back in spades

I seem to be a thin horse magnet LOL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get asked a lot about feed and conformation. I think these pics show how conformation changes a lot once a horse is fed properly. A diamond in the rough for sure!!!
Kay, Ben is truly a beautiful boy! Good job improving his condition so much!!! I don't think his conformation changed as that is not variable on a mature horse in my opinion, but it is undeniable that his condition has really come around in your care
default_yes.gif

Oh I agree his conformation didnt change but it was so hard to see what it really was with him so thin. Just didnt word it right. I think the snow and ice has frozen my brain lol

Kay you have done a wonderful job with Ben!

Good food and attention will go along way.

His butt has really come along-looks more muscled and defined...

He's stunning! Great job Kay, glad he has been given another chance to shine.
default_smile.png

Kay i love ben and i think he is one heck of a success story and in such a short time
default_smile.png

Lewella is going to love him!

He is such a beautiful and lucky pony!

He did have a beautiful structure, but it looks bad with no muscle and fat over it. That is a great improvement, and I can't wait to see how he does for Lewella.

Great job in recognizing a diamond in the rough!!! And getting him polished so nicely.

Liz

Latest posts

Back