Helping a mini to lose weight?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebelZ

Reaction score
My gelding is 31.5” with a BCS of 7 out of 9 and a Cresty Neck Score of 3 out of 5. I’ll be taking him to our first show in 2 months time and would like him to at least look presentable and at a reasonable weight by then. He is currently on poor-moderate quality grass for 8 hours a day, and free choice hay in a slow feeder on a dry lot for 16 hours. I am feeding a very small amount of meadow chaff with Dynavyte, home grown herbs, a vit and min supplement and his head shaking supplement, he also has free choice access to a salt lick. I am starting to walk him 6 days per week for 90 minutes and switching it up with some trot, jumping, poles, and hill work. Any tips on things I should change would be greatly appreciated, and also how long I should expect to wait to see a change in his weight. Grazing muzzles are not an option as he becomes absolutely miserable and very stressed when wearing one.

Is he getting much protein? That is necessary to build muscle. I like alfalfa but I don't know what you have available there. Sounds like your exercise plan is good (for both of you!). I think it takes several weeks to see weight changes, plus or minus; slow & easy is best. What is meadow chaff or Dynavyte? How old is he?
Good luck with your show preparation!

Is he getting much protein? That is necessary to build muscle. I like alfalfa but I don't know what you have available there. Sounds like your exercise plan is good (for both of you!). I think it takes several weeks to see weight changes, plus or minus; slow & easy is best. What is meadow chaff or Dynavyte? How old is he?
Good luck with your show preparation!

Meadow chaff is just made from a mix of grasses from meadows, similar to grass hay but chopped. Dynavyte is my all time favourite supplement that I would never go without, it supports the microbes and keeps them healthy from the inside out, they get an AMAZING shine from it. I feed my bigger horses Fibre Fresh Fibre Protect which is essentially Lucerne bayledge, however I was told Lucerne is too rich for minis. He’s 8 years old :)

I agree with you , Lucerne is something you need to be very careful with. I mix it in with meadow hay in winter, but due to the high sugar content in spring grass here, I am very cautious at that time of the year. It sounds like your feeding very well, it will just take some time before you notice big changes. Are you near the beach at all ? Maybe some beach work may help. Good luck with your show prep :)

Meadow chaff is just made from a mix of grasses from meadows, similar to grass hay but chopped. Dynavyte is my all time favourite supplement that I would never go without, it supports the microbes and keeps them healthy from the inside out, they get an AMAZING shine from it. I feed my bigger horses Fibre Fresh Fibre Protect which is essentially Lucerne bayledge, however I was told Lucerne is too rich for minis. He’s 8 years old :)
Alfalfa/lucerne in moderation is fine for minis, it's a good source of protein and usually low in sugar and starch.

Alfalfa is used a lot with starved horses. Good protein and calcium for the stomach. I am a firm believer in its benefit for horses. Mine get some every day for its health benefits.

I agree with you Marsha , I love it and think it has many health benefits. Unfortunately, I cannot use it during the spring here and early summer.

Latest posts

Back