The Conformation Abomination Strikes Again!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
Okay, lol the title is meant to be humorous. I like to joke about this little filly to be honest.

The "Conformation Abomination" is my August 2010 filly Connor. I kind of joke about her conformation because it really is messed up, lol. Not too bad, but enough to notice it. This is the filly that *might* be a dwarf and might not be. I'm still out on the decision myself. I'll be clipping her in May and that's when I'll be making my decision. If she clips out nice then I will be sending in registration papers in. If she matures to be dwarfy (which DOES happen) then I will be pulling the papers.

I have two registration names and YES "Conformation Abomination" is one of them.
default_laugh.png
(Could you imagine hearing that name at a show? ROFL!) The other is "Lady Deception" because Connor is in fact a con artist. The latter is my first choice.
default_wink.png

I clipped Connor's head yesterday. I attempted to clip her throat latch as well but because her neck is so short it ended up getting half of her neck. *head desk*

Pictures:

421902_241978262555390_100002296543466_522108_1023539348_n.jpg

421902_241978269222056_100002296543466_522109_1694326016_n.jpg

Oh my I LOVE this girl. Every time I clip her I find a new marking. Last fall I found out that she has white patterns on her stomach that reaches in between her front legs to her chest. Yesterday I found out that she has the same white markings underneath her jowls. She even has what appears to be a appaloosa spot RIGHT underneath her forlock. Its the cutest little thing. She also has appaloosa spots on her back that she's had since she was a newborn.

I really don't know what to think about the above pictures. I know how her conformation is underneath all that fur (cow hocks, long back, a hair butt high, and a short neck) but that HEAD. Last July she had the most adorable little face. All refined and pretty. Now? She has a roman nose? WTH? I know where she got it. Her dam.

See pretty head from June:

262971_183413218391750_100001692198529_462635_6856794_n.jpg

See her dam, Honey's, not so pretty head from August:

319147_149668755119675_100002296543466_279747_5628940_n.jpg

There's always something with this filly! I'm just too nit picky, huh?

But do you want to know why I love this filly so much? She's so freaking smart. So smart and she knows it. She would be a shoe-in for a halter obstacle or showmanship class.

I had my mom take a couple videos of her yesterday after her clip. We took some videos of her loading the trailer and going up and down steps.

Loading the Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqTpSJO6DG0

Connor has no actual training with the trailer. One day I just walked her up to the trailer and she hopped on in. She will load the trailer with and without a halter on. She sees it as a game.

Going Up and Down Steps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEbVsvxMFwQ

This is something we need to work on. She will literally jump the steps, which is something I don't want her to do. I am hoping to be able to get her to slow down and go up and down the steps.

I would love to be able to trick train her but I don't know where to look for info on that.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and videos.

In the pictures you have of her and her dam underneath they look a lot alike to me.. except their faces.

Seems like you really like her
yes.gif

On the roman nose, it might be tooth bumps forming and making her face that way. I have a mare that had the plainest head when I got her as a two-year old, by the time she was 5 and had shed all her baby teeth and permanent teeth were more or less in place, her head is now much prettier. While I don't know if this might be the case with Conner, you'll just have to bide your time and see.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and videos.

In the pictures you have of her and her dam underneath they look a lot alike to me.. except their faces.

Seems like you really like her
default_yes.gif
I LOVE this filly. Oh god you wouldn't even know!

I have multiple pictures and videos of her in utero kicking and even more outside. She was quite the goober.

2 Days old:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSe5LudnlN8

You can her dam's condition in that video. Underweight and with bad hooves. It took me until March-April 2011 to get her weight up. But you can definitely see Connor's personality in it. She's twice as bad now and always getting the others in trouble.

But that's not always a good thing. She has no respect while on the lead rope and I find it very hard to handle such a short horse well. I really like my 35'' gelding.....Connor in all of her 25''? Not so much, lol.

@Chandab, I'll have my vet look at her this week end when she comes to float teeth.
default_yes.gif
I really don't underneath the whole teeth thing with youngsters. I have another filly that seems to have issues with her teeth as well and also the joints in her legs that pop whenever handled. So this question will definitely fit in well.

She's cute! I adore Connor, even if she's not an ideal example of the breed conformation wise, she's an ideal example as far as intelligence and being a horse to love on. I agree about the roman nose possibly being caused by teeth coming in an forming. I can't tell you how many times I looked at my stallion when his teeth were coming in and just thought how weird his face was. He's gotten better with age, however, like Chanda's mare.

As far as handling goes.. Its really important to make the little ones listen just as much as the bigger. I found myself letting Kinson get away with all kind of nonsense that I wouldn't put up with from my larger geldings, or even my slightly larger mare. As he got older and became more of a stallion it became dangerous. He's much better with his manners now, though I wish I would've been ontop of it from the beginning instead of excusing it because he was so small. If you need help, feel free to PM me. I use all the same training techniques on the little guy as I do my bigger ones, though slightly modified sometimes as it makes the task at hand easier. I use a lot of leg cues for Kinson, as he's knee level so its more convenient and seems to work better for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's cute! I adore Connor, even if she's not an ideal example of the breed conformation wise, she's an ideal example as far as intelligence and being a horse to love on. I agree about the roman nose possibly being caused by teeth coming in an forming. I can't tell you how many times I looked at my stallion when his teeth were coming in and just thought how weird his face was. He's gotten better with age, however, like Chanda's mare.

As far as handling goes.. Its really important to make the little ones listen just as much as the bigger. I found myself letting Kinson get away with all kind of nonsense that I wouldn't put up with from my larger geldings, or even my slightly larger mare. As he got older and became more of a stallion it became dangerous. He's much better with his manners now, though I wish I would've been ontop of it from the beginning instead of excusing it because he was so small. If you need help, feel free to PM me. I use all the same training techniques on the little guy as I do my bigger ones, though slightly modified sometimes as it makes the task at hand easier. I use a lot of leg cues for Kinson, as he's knee level so its more convenient and seems to work better for him.
I agree that she's the ideal example of intelligence. If Connor had the physical capabilities (no cow hocks, long back, short neck, about 10 inches taller, etc.....) then she could do anything you put her to do. Be it driving or jumping she could do it.

I really hope she doesn't mature dwarfy because I want to do something with her. She is the smartest and most willing horse we have out of our herd of seven. Sure she isn't quality anything but she has a brain that needs something to do other than eating my bills.
default_biggrin.png
I would love to do local showmanship classes with her and even some halter obstacle. I think we could do it. The only thing holding us back is how she'll mature. I wish I could email her dam's breeders for pictures to see how her dam matured. There are A LOT of similarities in them but her dam is much heavier whereas Connor is a little more lighter built. Her full brother is turning five this year and I see a lot more of his dam in him.

It all depends on how she matures I guess and then which route I take with her. You guys will definitely know what I decide on! Because I know I'll be asking for lots of input!

I would LOVE any advice on handling the smaller minis. Would you mind it if instead of PMing you I made a thread in the main forum? I'm sure a lot of people have some tips to share.

as for the teeth, the teeth are still for the most part full horse sized they didn't shrink with the body. So as the adult teeth come in and the baby teeth come out there is only so much room in those tiny mouths hence the tooth bumps and potential for mouth problems.

Karen

Well.....I *did* have a vet appoitment today. My vet called and said it was too cold to float teeth and have them doped out. *sigh*

Thanks for the comments!

Latest posts

Back