The bestest dog show result so far

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anoki

Reaction score
I was back showing dogs this past weekend here in Ontario. Got a couple more points on my puppy, so he is well on his way to his Canadian Championship (he also celebrated his first birthday at the show!).

But this is about my 10 year old niece! She has been completely dog crazy from very early on....she finally started asking me about showing dogs over the past year, so I started teaching her how to show Cardigans. She helped me out for the first time back in July, and won Best of Breed with the dog she was handling! The next step was entering in Junior Handling classes at shows that I was entered in. Unfortunately, the first show, I didn't have the best dog for her to show on her own entered (and the dog they show in Juniors HAS to be entered the day that the Junior Handling class is offered), so her first time wasn't the greatest, but she got through it, with a dog that was desperately trying to find ME! Next show, I stupidly entered the dog for her to show on the wrong day!
default_doh.gif
So I asked around at the show, and found a Weimeraner that she did a really good job showing. This past weekend, I got it sorted out, and entered the right dog on the right day!!

Now, my niece has very low self esteem....I thought that first time she showed in Juniors would have devastated her, but she wanted to know when she could do it again!!!!!! She absolutely HATES school...I mean, more than just doesn't like going...it is a struggle to keep her going to school everyday...nothing interests her there, her teachers don't like it when she wants to do projects that she IS interested in, and well, the kids at school think she's odd because she loves dogs soo much, she doesn't do the team sport thing, and her comment about school is she just can't do anything 'right' there.

Soooooo, Sunday she took my Delilah (Am GCH Can/Am CH BPI.SS Esrohollow Hey There Delilah Am HT), my VERY naked Delilah, in for her Junior Novice class! There were 8 or 9 other kids entered at the show, and I unfortunately couldn't watch as I had to groom a Bernese, then wait to show it.....but as I was waiting ringside to show the Berner, my Mom and niece found me.....with her SECOND PLACE RIBBON!!!!!!
default_thumbup.gif

She was sooo excited, she couldn't believe she had actually placed in the class (they only place first through fourth). My Mom was just as shocked, so she missed getting the picture of my niece in the ring!!!!!! I think she floated all the way home!

379086_10151023883460251_773730250_21757007_765248968_n.jpg

Just wondering how close you live to her school.As a teacher(many years ago and now a sub)it is sometimes difficulot to get a student motivated.Maybe you or her mom could have a conference with her teacher and tell about her passion for the dogs and ask about the possibility of a project that is dog related.She looks so happy in the photo.tell her an old time dog exhibitor and teacher is very impressed with her talent in the ring.

Goosebumps!! Great story!
default_aktion033.gif

I teach 10 and 11 year olds and I always tell the kids if they have a passion or curiosity about anything--they can do any kind of extra credit project. I'll sit down with them and brainstorm different presentation ideas whether they love creating posters, reports, power points, skits... anything. It's their choice if they want to present it to class. The extra credit goes on the related subject of their choice. There's no due date--when it's done, it's done.

I have to say the kids rarely take advantage of this. But, I have one girl doing a report on horses--all from a neat book she has and can't put down.
default_wink.png
And another two have teamed up to do a report on Kit Carson--I have no idea why they chose that topic except he was mentioned briefly in an article we read--they had no idea who he was--actually they were surprised to learn it was a man.
default_laugh.png
default_rolleyes.gif
That's okay though. They are good friends and will have fun working on it. Will any of these ever get turned in? Maybe not--it's all done at home and I keep them hopping with regular work--but that's fine too.

I bet your niece would be able to do something like that...even give a demonstration on how to show and all the prep that goes into it? What is a disqualification...I'd LOVE to learn more. The kids would be astounded.

Anyway--thanks for the cool story and that picture says it all.

Thanks everyone! I will make sure she reads these!!!
default_yes.gif

bevann, it's not that her teacher(s) doesn't know she is dog obsessed (I think the entire school knows....the principal sure does)! They have weekly planners that they use for what homework needs to be done, assignments, tests coming up that kind of thing. Well, for the weekend, she had written in weeks ago that there was a dog show!
default_rolleyes.gif

barnbum, those are some good ideas....I might try suggesting something to her when I see her tonight! Thanks!
default_aktion033.gif

Her letter to Santa was in the local paper this week....in it she asked for 'some good dog showing luck'! I almost choked on my food when I read that!
default_laugh.png

She did do a project that she was 'allowed' to do on dogs. She put a lot of time and work into it....handed it in, and got it back with no mark....apparently it was one that wasn't to be marked. She was upset because she thought she'd done a really bad job when there was no mark on it....

It doesn't help that her mother thinks *I* should 'grow up'....so encouraging her daughter to do something that she doesn't think has anything to do with 'real life' is a bit hard!
default_laugh.png
I look at it as, if she has an interest, and I have the ability to help her at least try and see if she likes it, I will go out of my way to help! I wished I could have done this stuff at her age!! I never got the chance to show in 4-H at all.....my sister did though...the one that thinks I should just 'grow up' (she actually told me that a few years ago....I said some not nice things back, and it's never been brought up again). My mom babysits my sister's 3 girls, so we see them a lot. I know my sister feels my niece is very immature for her age, because she's not interested in the main stream things. She never asked for dolls, but she has countless toy dogs. It actually reminds me soooooooooooooo much of me at that age...only substitute horses for the dog obsession! I was lucky that I had teachers that didn't discourage my interests....so I am more than happy to help my niece if she truly wants to do this.

I am going to talk to her about perhaps doing a presentation to her class about showing dogs....and make sure she knows I'll help with the information she needs!!

~kathryn

Way to go! Lucky girl to have a wonderful Aunt to help her do this, don't listen to your sister.

I had obsessions like that too, dogs and horses and HATED school, turns out I have Aspberger's which explains just about everything. Wish it had been recognized back then, might have gotten more appropriate schooling and done better.

Dog showing teaches plenty about real life, responsibility, timeliness, respecting fellow showmen and the judges, how to lose with grace, helping others, socializing.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a neat, neat story. Good for you to help this little lady to have a place where she can be herself and be accepted for it!

If that is her interest just go with it.Maybe you could help with a project for her with the dogs.suggest to her that since the Cardigans come from the British Isles she could do some research on their origin and geography of the location.Helps learn map skills, uses reading and geography.Tie in some math with using fractions and measuring with feeding.There are so many things she can do.I love the idea of a presentation to her class.I'm sure her classmates will be so excited.What kid doesn't love a real live cute dog in the classroom.I'm sure there are some children 's books about Cardigans.I'm a Pembroke person so I know only about Tasha Tudor's books, The Corgiville Fair and several others.Keep us posted on what happens.Wish I lived closer.I would take her under my wing and go to school with her and dogs.Many of our well known all breed judges started as kids with a passion like hers.Love the photo.

Latest posts

Back