Ten reasons you know you are selling the wrong horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I know you can't keep them all but this is exactly why I am......

The Worlds Worst Seller!

I wrote this when I became very upset about selling

a certain horse of mine. By the way, I did back out.........

Feel free to add to this list

1 When you have to ask your family if you should sell the horse

2 When you have to ask your friends if you should sell the horse

3 When your hand shakes as you try to write the ad

4 When you cry like a baby as you write the ad

5 When you cannot sleep because you posted the ad

6 When you think about what it will be like going to the barn and seeing her empty stall and no longer want to go to the barn

7 When you list in the ad her favorite food, toys, itchy places, and radio channels

8 When you prepare her basket of "to-go-with-her-things" and it includes her favorite bankee and ribbons and hair bows and you get it all soggy with tears

9 When you have a dream that you see her all grown up and

she doesn't recognize you anymore

10 When you add to the ad "If you ever hurt her I will hunt you down like a dog and kill you"

~Marty

What horse is this Marty?

I do not have anymore to add but i enjoyed that! I didnt "sell" ..but i did let a horse go that was very near and dear to me ...but he is also with one of my good good friends and if *i* can let "that" horse go ..there is hope for you marty. I still find myself yelling for Coco or calling one of the horses by his name when i go out to the pasture, he will most likely come home eventually so that helps.

Leeana

Last edited by a moderator:
I am only laughing because I have never had to sell one yet. My mantra (the REAL reason we raise pintos) is "the solid color ones will be for sale". That way we will know as soon as they hit the ground so we won't get too attached. HA!!!

(Watch for our ads, or lack thereof, after our very first foals arrive this spring!!!)

I LOVE #7.

I can understand that completely....
default_sad.png

I once advertised one and when the prospective buyers were about to commit...I told them that I had changed my mind...they understood...
default_yes.gif

Wish it were easier...
default_no.gif

Here's one more Marty..

When someone asks if the horse is still for sale and you say "I'll get back to you on that." And promptly forget to do so.

9 When you have a dream that you see her all grown up and

she doesn't recognize you anymore

10 When you add to the ad "If you ever hurt her I will hunt you down like a dog and kill you"
Dang it, Marty...I was doing fine til I got to the last two...now I'm welling up!

Well, shoot... "pictures on the registration paper don't match the horse in the sales barn" didn't even make the Top 10
default_biggrin.png

I have one

# 11 When someone inquires about said horse for sale and you mention everything bad said horse has ever done in attempts to discourage potential buyer !

I could never bring myself to sell one of mine.

12. When you're so upset about selling your horse you stop window shopping for others. (If there's no horse you'd rather have than your own you know you're selling the wrong horse.)

Oh Marty, just do like me. Sell the horse and buy it back later. I seem to be doing this more lately......

I couldn't imagine anyone daring to call after #10, but how about:

When you are rude to people who call to inquire about the horse.

When you "forget" to be home when someone wants to see the horse.

When someone responds to the ad and you ask "What horse?"

When you refuse to check your email/answer the phone for fear it may be someone wanting the horse.

When you give them the names and phone numbers of other breeders or people who have horses, and offer to drive them there.

When you give them the names and phone numbers of other breeders or people who have horses, and offer to drive them there.

I had a big horse several years ago that I sold and have wished everyday since that I wouldn't have. I got that horse back 2 years ago in my mini gelding - he's staying forever!
default_yes.gif

And the others, they just keep coming into the barn and each is so unique, I just can't imagine life without any of them.

I can only think to add - When you feel like your whole body is going to be sick at the thought of them getting on the trailer.

I only sold one mini before. Hated to do it, but she just so short and such. Took me months to find the right home becuase I was so picky! :DOH! I did pack a bag of her goodies to go with her! Hahaha!!!
default_biggrin.png

Here's one: :DOH!

When you look out in the pasture and can't figure out which one to sell. Then you say, 15 isn't a bad number for the number of horses I own.

No. 12 ??? Well I know I am not selling the horse when I tell my buyers they need to go look at my friends minis or tell them about all the other horses that I know of for sale
default_rolleyes.gif
Mary

This is exactly why we dont breed cats, dogs, or horses! no animals ever seem to leave. we are soon to be empty nesters and my wife is looking at either a huge new house [ so all the kids can come home to our house ] or big property so they can all build homes on it.[ 100 or more acres] DR.

AW, Marty.... I feel for you.

Twice in 14 years I have sold horses with regret. The only bright point is that they are in wonderful homes, one is with a dear friend who really loves him and the other is with his new owner, who has become a new friend( that's a great plus!) and adores her new horse, which makes me feel good. He is in an even better home than he had here!

I can relate to every one of your ten statements.Sometimes, a sale happens that normally you wouldn't have ever thought to sell one, but life happens to get in the way. Life is expensive and occasionally one gets sold to pay a bill... IF that horse is going to a good home only.

I nearly sold a mare to a previous buyer that really wanted her(Misty) I really could have used to money, but She was "my girl" AND she was pregnant and I kept worrying... suppose someone else won't watch over her like I will? I called the lady and apologized, and decided she will never be for sale. The buyer was ok with it and decided to breed my stallion to her mare instead.

NOW, I go by my newest rule... how will I feel if he or she isn't out there anymore?

For a long time, it was hard to go out to the barn.

One of my own personal rules, is that babies are for sale... I have broken that rule in the past and may do so again with Lucy, our premie. Its just too hard on me to sell my adults. It hurst even worse selling an adult.

I just placed a retired brood mare in a wonderful home with an older retired lady that no longer could handle the big horses but still wanted to be involved with horses. She is crazy in love with Lisa, my tiny mare. Selling points? I get right of first buy back, and her grandaughters will be putting scrunchies and ribbons in her hair!

Hugs,

Robin

Last edited by a moderator:
I know how it feels. I had to sell my TB gelding not quite 2 years ago. It broke my heart, I still cry when I think about it. I just couldn't afford the injections that he would need for his arthritis. The man I sold him to is perfect. He keeps him at the barn that I used to board and work at, he also asked me to ride him for him twice a week. He knew how hard this was for me. He even offered to pay for lessons for me for 6 months so I wouldn't quit riding. I was already getting 2 free lessons a week so I turned him down. I still think of John as my horse and I think he feels the same way. He gets excited when I come to visit, which makes it so much harder when I have to leave.

Heather

Latest posts

Back