Temporary to Permanent AMHA & AMHR Registrations

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMHA horses past due for temp to perm registration

• 0 horse past due

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 horse past due

• 2 horses past due

• 3 horses past due

• 4 horses past due

• 5 horses past due

• 6 horses past due

• 7 horses past due

• 8 horses past due

• 9 or more past due

• 10 or mor past due

• Total voters

zacharyfarms

Reaction score
I am submitting this poll before I write a proposal to the AMHA that they do a temporary grace period for past due temp to permanent registrations. I have several horses personally that need to be brought permanent that I failed to do on time and some that clients have purchased that I would like to bring permanent myself for them. I think this would be an easy generation of revenue for the registries but maybe I am the only lax person
default_sad.png
. The late fees are exceptionally high and for the AMHA where you have to keep up with the months instead of just the end of the year it is easy to fall behind and then it is easy to just leave them alone until the need arises for them to be brought permanent (e.g.foaling) or if they are just pets they are never brought permanent. Since these are height registries it would be nice for all the permanent heights to be on record. Also, the AMHA temp to perm is sooooo much higher than the AMHR I wonder how many would bring their AMHA horses to permanent status if this was reduced to AMHR levels or close????

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to vote but you did not have a zero on the first question so I can not vote and be honest.

I am submitting this poll before I write a proposal to the AMHA that they do a temporary grace period for past due temp to permanent registrations. I have several horses personally that need to be brought permanent that I failed to do on time and some that clients have purchased that I would like to bring permanent myself for them. I think this would be an easy generation of revenue for the registries but maybe I am the only lax person
default_sad.png
. The late fees are exceptionally high and for the AMHA where you have to keep up with the months instead of just the end of the year it is easy to fall behind and then it is easy to just leave them alone until the need arises for them to be brought permanent (e.g.foaling) or if they are just pets they are never brought permanent. Since these are height registries it would be nice for all the permanent heights to be on record. Also, the AMHA temp to perm is sooooo much higher than the AMHR I wonder how many would bring their AMHA horses to permanent status if this was reduced to AMHR levels or close????
Hi Judy,

I have one coming up on permanent and did not know that there were late fees and a fee for permanent, I (being new to minis of only four years with just two) thought you just had your minis certified height sent in, lol, do they have a book out there Mini info for Dummies, cause I could use one. How much are the fees? I HATE late fees, it's like paying taxes.

Nancy

You don't have an option for 0.

We keep our paperwork up to date, and if we do get behind, like the year we forgot our stallion reports, we pay the late fees and hopefully learn not to forget again!

This is just my opinion, and mine only, but personally I don't think the registeries should have to give people a break for failing to update their paperwork, thats just my opinion. Thats part of horse ownership, you must keep up with your paperwork and that is the part of business with these miniatures is to take them to temp. to perm. when it is time to do so. The way I see it you have plenty of time to get the job done.

The fees for AMHR are good. In AMHA yes especially stallions they are pricey from temp. to perm. work, BUT, when it comes to AMHA they are trying to promote geldings and that is why the fee is so much cheaper for a gelding then a stallion. So honestly I don't see it as a bad thing.

I say keep everything the way it is.

These are good answers. I realize that I have fallen behind and it is my fault for the ones I have not done. I have always kept my paperwork up to date but have had a good deal of illness this year which made my paperwork almost intolerable as well as doing the pictures...sorry...I am a deadbeat where this stands at this point.. but I am not alone in this from what I have heard and while I might be able to afford the late registration fees , there are many others through no fault of their own that are trying to just keep their horses safe and fed. I have several horses that were sold and there is no way these people will pay the late fees for these horses...it is a shame but that is the way it is...a lot don't even pay the transfer fees even though I do all the paperwork for them. Should I be embarrassed...yes...but my horses are always sold with the paperwork done and up to date and always will be whether I have to pay the late fees or not. I didn't put a 0 because it wouldn't serve any purpose if you don't have any to bring to date. Increase in what could be lost revenue for the AMHA is what I am looking for. I have added the 0 to make the poll complete.

The fees for AMHA are:

Mare within 6 months: $25

Stallion within 6 months: $60

Gelding within 6 months: $10

Mare after 6 months: $50

Stallion after 6 months: $110

Gelding after 6 months: $20

The fees for AMHR are regardless of sex:

by the end of the year $5

if expired $10

Need a Zero vote...
default_wub.png

Responsible breeders should be keeping paper work up to date including temp to permanent.

Right now I have a filly who will be 4 this year, and will be bred when she comes in season.

I have her DNA papers sitting on my table, just need to pull her hairs and send it out.

Thanks for the reminder.

Why wait till she has a foal.
default_wink.png
JMO

l learned my lesson a while back when l had to bring 4 stallions and 2 bred mares to perm status 2 weeks after the 6 month leeway very pricey with the money exchange at that time. You have 6 months grace after the temp papers expire and perm are due before being revoked so live and learn and now l faithfully check registrations every spring on everyone so l stay within the 6 month grace period..

Does anyone know what percentage of AMHA horses are in Revoked status? I think it exceeds 30% of registered horses. That is an unoffical number that I got by looking at a small sampling of horses in the AMHA studbook online. Has anyone ever heard of an offical number? I think we should reduce the price to clean this up.

--Mike

Sorry to sound unsympathetic but I agree with everyone. I had a lot of trouble registering a colt I bought because the owner of the sire was very late on sending in the temp-to-permanent papers. I had to keep submitting my colt's papers till she finally got around to it. If I hadn't already paid to have the colt shipped from Michigan to Maryland, it would have been a deal-breaker.

I would point out that there are a good many people who don't even bother to bring their AMHR horses permanent, even with such a minimal fee for the update, so I'm not sure that lowering the AMHA fees would be any benefit.

Sure, it would benefit a few people, including yourself, but I'm guessing that it would not benefit AMHA financially; probably just the opposite--they'd gain a few extra horses at the lower fee, but then they'd lose a whole pile of money on the updates from all those owners who faithfully bring all their horses permanent even at the higher fee.

You should have a N/A choice on the last 2 questions. Mine are all up to date though my stallion turned 5 in Jan. I have a mare turning 5 in March. I'd like to wait until I can get decent pictures before I send them in. Thanks for the reminder though!

I agree....you need N/A on the last two questions. I answered zero on the first two, then left that last two questions blank, as they didn't apply.....and it wouldn't take my votes on the first two.
default_wacko.png

I wasn't looking for sympathy. Frankly I probably spend a lot more on each of my horses registration than a lot of you do. Each of my foals are AMHA and AMHR registered and DNA'd when I register them as foals. I was looking to see if it would be beneficial to make the proposal to AMHA but it sounds as if everyone is hunky dory with the fees as is. I wanted to pay transfer fees and bring permanent foals that I had sold over five years ago that have never been transferred or brought permanent. I will bring permanent those that I actually still own and that I did not bring permanent in 2008 and a few of the others that I can get pictures for the permanent registration and pay the late fees. Hopefully all of you can keep up your excellent work as I have in the past but did not do this year. I as well will never let it happen again God willing and the creek don't rise.
default_wink.png

I added the N/A to the last two questions.

Judy, I am sure your not the only one that has paperwork that isn't up to date. My AMHR paperwork isn't because I didn't renew my membership for two years. Not sure if I care enough about it to do it now either, but we shall see.

All of our AMHA and AMHR paperwork is current. Actually, Id be interested in a proposal that rewarded those who are personally responsible and do the right thing. That goes for the government too! LOL

Dawn
default_saludando.gif

All my AMHA horses that are 5 and older are permanent. I do have one AMHA coming 3 year old mare but will be over 2 years before I can bring her permanent. For AMHR all my horses are permanent that are 3 and older. I have two 2 years olds who I will bring permanent this summer as they will be 3. Then I have four 2008 fillies that I will bring permanent when they are 3 if I still own all 4. I always keep my paperwork and registrations up to date.

All of my paperwork is up to date. I have 1 that will turn 3 next month and as soon as she does i'll send in her paperwork to get her permanent. Usually when I get a new horse I like to get all of the paperwork in order it in my name. If I had to pay any late fees that's my fault and I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I had any that were AMHA i'd be more inclined to get it done on time because of the cost.

I unfortunately fell behind on all my paper work.

I need to do all my transfers and registrations as well as bring permanent a mare that was not brought permanent and we didn't not find out until I had already purchased her and it was past her 6 month leeway.

The only reason behind this was I got very very sick and couldn't. Due to bills etc because of being ill.

But now that I am back on my feel all my paper work is ready to send in I have sent one mare and her foal in. Just waiting on their stuff.

Once this is all done none of mine will fall behind again.

I am teaching my fiance how to take the pictures and how to fill out the forms so there will never be an issue again.

Latest posts

Back