Teaching to Set up???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celtic Hill Farm

Reaction score
How do you guys teach your young horses to set up? I just wanted to see if there was any other ways then i do it. and if you have any Ticks and Tips that you would be willing to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too would appreciate advice on this. As a newbie to showing I (in Australia) fear that I am only confusing my little colt (and myself:)

Our Nationals are only 3 weeks away & I have jumped in at the deep end and entered 1 colt
default_doh.gif

Cheers

Karen

We take our little new show horses and only set them up once a day. We pull them out of the stall, ask them to stand and as soon as they set the way we want we ask for a small moment like that, give a treat and then quit. Ask for more time the following evening, etc.... Do not work the young ones for too very long at one time or they will lose interest quickly and act up making for bad habits.

I only work for setting up like once a week sometimes more some less but I used to do it more often and my horses never held the attention in the ring. I basically just make them stand square and then focus on keeping their attention on me and once they perk up and pay attention I give them a treat and quit. Over working seems to be a very common thing and in my experience just makes a headache for the actual day of the show. This is just my experience though and I am sure some horses require more practice or it just works better for others to practice more.

[SIZE=12pt]What I like to do is back them until they get their back feet together(square) and be sure to praise them. Then gently cue them to move their front feet forward. If they move their back feet, back them up again till the back feet are where you want them and start over with the front feet. You can hand set the front feet till they understand what you're asking.[/SIZE]

Once they understand to keep their back feet planted and to move their front, I'll stop hand setting and manipulate them by gently moving them off balance at the wither. For example, if I want the front foot nearest me a little more forward, then I'll gently push away on the wither which makes them place their foot forward. Play with it a bit and you'll get the hang of it. I have a bad back so starting them this way makes it so much easier plus it looks nicer in the show ring too( plus I just know some time I'll bend over or get down to move a foot and that's where I'll be for the rest of the class
default_biggrin.png
). Once they learn square and not to move (TIME AND PRACTICE!!) you can start teaching them to shift their weight forward as you are asking for the hook. Depending on the horses conformation, I will place their front feet a little past the point of shoulder so when the shift their weight forward their front legs don't look too far under their bodies. That is something you'll have to experiment with as each horse is different. I hope this makes sense, it's easier to show than explain
default_rolleyes.gif

Anyhow that's just what I do. I'm sure you'll get a lot more good advice
default_smile.png

Joy

In halter classes you are allowed to touch your horse, in liberty and showmanship, no you are not allowed.

I start by having them just stand still when I say and then work with setting feet (first the back, then the front). I keep it short, like 5-10 minute sessions. Once they have the idea, then I will set them up 1-2x on the way too and from the round pen as I do free lunge show yearlings 10-15 minutes ever other day. I think the key is however you decide to do it, keep the sessions short, and do it frequently -- at least 5 days a week and sometimes a more thn once a day until they get it -- but once they get it, don't keep on and keep on or they can sour.

Good luck and have fun!

Okay, so How do you teach them to set up? like do you place them with your hands (like move there legs).

Se what i do is i set the girls up with there back feet, and aply light pressure to the bridle pulling there head forward and encuraging them to take a step forward with there front feet. If they step forward with there back feet i say "No" and set them back up in the front.

Is that the correct way to do it? is there a better way?

and are you alowed to use treats to "Bate" (that's what they call it when you show dogs) them so they set up in a show?

We train ours to set themselves up as I dont want to be crawling around in the dirt setting legs.
default_smile.png
As said above whoa them when the back legs are set. Then we use pressure on the lead to the right or left to get them to set their front legs. If they move a back leg use a finger on the opposite side of the chest and apply pressure and they will put the back leg back in place.

Consistency is really the key here and repitition. Most horses get it very quickly. I remember when I was showing Promise as a weanling she was the only weanling in the ring that stood and showed. I got lots of compliments from the judges. I only worked with her a couple times per week as I didnt want to stress a baby but it worked.

Also as said DO NOT OVER PRACTICE. You can make a horse sour doing that and they get very bored with the whole thing. Once a horse "has it" We just practice once or twice the day of the show and thats about it

Latest posts

Back