Teaching "old horses" new tricks?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Horse Love

Reaction score
I bought a 17 year old pure falabella stallion earlier this year. I like my stallions to have a job. My other stallion is broke to drive, but my falabella has had no training. So is 17 too old to teach him to drive?

As long as he is in good health, he should be just fine to start in driving training.

He is in good health, but could use some muscle on him(which is another reason why I want to train him to drive). He is very fine boned, will this affect him at all?

With his age and lack of muscle you'll need to work him slower and take longer to get him in shape/condition.

I don't see any reason there should be a problem w/ teaching him to drive. As you train him in ground driving, you will build him up so that by the time you have him ready to hitch - he's plenty strong enough to start going on conditioning drives.

I've spent the last two years training a pair of mares to drive - they are currenlty 20 & 21 years of age. They are awesome - at home, out at shows/presentations & trail driving as singles, pairs and as a 3 abreast w/ a younger mare. The one mare hadn't even been "properly" halter trained - could be caught and haltered but didn't know how to lead or stand or back up...

Latest posts

Back