Taxidermy request?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauralee

Reaction score
I got an appalling email:

Hi

i was wondering if you had any foal's or young mini horses that did not make it this year?im looking to taxidermy and preserve one.thanks

This was from cindy beck [[email protected]]

Needless to say I am a bit disgusted. I don't see stuffed miniature horses as being a valuable product in good taste. AS IF I have one in a baggie in the freezer. These folks need to save their energy for something else, not beloved pets.

Has anyone else gotten this inquiry?

Wow I dont even know what to say to that. YOu want your first reaction to be this has to be a sick joke but sadly I am sure it wasnt... :smileypuke: :smileypuke:

I don't have a problem if someone wants to have a horse that has passed mounted. But I do think it is in poor taste to just randomly email people with mini's basically asking if they still have any dead babies laying around. I saw a really lovely mount done for a contest of a foal, but it was made at the request of the foals owner.

Ugh, to think someone wants one of your dead horses stuffed and in their house. Thats awful. Don't they think you'd be kind of upset about that? I wouldn't like someone taking my dead pet and keeping it. That doesn't seem right.

I agree, Lauralee---utterly CRASS!

Reble-yes, Roy Rogers(whom I LOVED!) did have not only Trigger, but Trigger, Jr., Buttermilk (Dale Evans' buckskin horse) AND their German Shepherd dog, Bullet, mounted---the dog didn't look TOO bad, but the horses ALL looked AWFUL!( saw them all at his museum when it was in CA.) 'Stuffing' ANY horse is not something I would EVER recommend or do....

Margo

Didn't Roy Rogers have Trigger done?
YEP
default_yes.gif
:

I once sold a mare in foal to someone. They lost the foal due to not being there when it was born due to it(filly) not getting out of the sac. The owner's brother was a taxidermist and she had him freeze dry it! Not something I would have done, but to each his own I guess.
default_wacko.png
:

I think a few years ago, a stuffed mini was on eBay. We had a huge thread about it here, and I think it was removed from eBay, but I'm not totally sure.

Definitely wouldn't be anything I'm interested in, but some people would be (though I think it's very creepy). Some people have their pets stuffed. There's even two stuffed labs as "characters" on Scrubs.

Oh, now I am remembering something else. Wasn't there an ad that ran a couple-few times in either the Journal or the World about a stallion who passed away? There was like a verse to the ad but I think the owner had him stuffed??? I remember it used to choke me up when I'd read the words but make me feel kind of woozy about him being stuffed. Anyone remember that ad?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wasn't the stuffed palomino stallion that was stuffed, Pistol?

Laura, not a nice email to get.
default_sad.png

:smileypuke: :smileypuke: :smileypuke:

ok admittedly I have an intense phobia of all mounts..........but that is just gross.......strangely the shrunken heads I saw in a private collection were far less tramumatizing than walking by the room full of mounts

The only one that is even slightly humorous is the stuffed DOG on the TV show SCRUBS.....now that one is really kinda funny
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

The only one that is even slightly humorous is the stuffed DOG on the TV show SCRUBS.....now that one is really kinda funny
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_rolleyes.gif
:
Yes and "now" they have two!!! Rowdy and Steven... I only just caught onto this show last year (omg, it's so funny!), so have been watching it in syndication.

ICK! But just as icky, I DO still have a foal in my freezer. :smileypuke:
default_sad.png
default_unsure.png
: :new_shocked: We lost her last year and did our own necropsy on her. Just haven't had time to get her buried....need to do that.

Yes, there is a stallion in Mansfield, TX that is stuffed and in someone's living room. Yes, there was a foal on eBay last year that caused quite the uproar. It was removed after a LOT of folks complained to eBay about it but it came back as an "educational" piece. It was mounted (not well) and set up like a rocking horse.

Runumuk.....you couldn't make it through my house.
default_wink.png
:

Last edited by a moderator:
default_sad.png
default_unsure.png
: :new_shocked: We lost her last year and did our own necropsy on her. Just haven't had time to get her buried....need to do that.

Yes, there is a stallion in Mansfield, TX that is stuffed and in someone's living room. Yes, there was a foal on eBay last year that caused quite the uproar. It was removed after a LOT of folks complained to eBay about it but it came back as an "educational" piece. It was mounted (not well) and set up like a rocking horse.

Runumuk.....you couldn't make it through my house.
default_wink.png
:
OMG I remember when I was 14ish and went with a friend and her parents to one of their friends houses....we walked in and hung a left into their living room and I went stark white screamed and panicked there were 4 buffalo mounts in this tiny room and there was no way I could get away from them fast enough....I almost passed out I was that scared. I darted out the front door and spent the 3-4 hours out on the porch :eek:
default_rolleyes.gif
:

My dad is an artist and art dealer and loves to go junkin.....when I was young I went with him and he used to do the quick check in any place we went to let me know if it was ok...talk about hilarious......I finally have my hubby trained because it sure beats me walking in and freaking out :new_shocked: :new_shocked: Idaho was tough because it seems every restaraunt and bar felt the need to have something dead hanging on the walls
default_wacko.png
:

I am getting better I can now tolerate stuffed ducks/birds...and my BIL has Fred in his bedroom and they don't have to shut the door so I don't see him I just cant go in that room, and they recently added a lynx in a box that only startles me if I forget it is there ........I am improving
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

I got the same email - sorry, but I don't save dead animals!
default_wacko.png
:

No fear of taxidermy, though! Oh, I just remembered that hubby has the horned scull of a shetland sheep ram we used to have... he had it professionally cleaned. Said that the ram butted him in the backside so many times that he really wanted the last laugh!

default_sad.png
default_unsure.png
:new_rofl: , I can appreciate this minimule.

I worked in a vets office most of my life and one of our doctors kept testicles from neutered animals in the freezer right next to the popcicles, for research .

My father after he retired from vet medicine took over operating a pet cemetary and we ALWAYS had dead animals in our freezer in the garage ....... you had to be careful what you grabed when getting something out.... Buster the cat was lurking in there somewhere :eek:

YUCK...That was a horrible email to get, I would NEVER consider having ANY of my beloved pets mounted. NEVER. I remember that one on Ebay and the topic on here as well. I dont have any problem with people who go big game hunting and mount the animals, but I sure do with pets. We do have a huge black bearskin rug with the head and claws on, that my brother got a few years ago, and a few other mounts in our family room...but I could never handle having a pet of mine in there...I would be in tears every time I looked at it. I have had my dogs cremated, and they have there urns, and I have heard enough negative comments about that, but I dont like the thought of buring my dogs either.

I have had my dogs cremated, and they have there urns, and I have heard enough negative comments about that, but I dont like the thought of buring my dogs either.
well I'm here to tell you there are LOTS and LOTS of people who have this done, myself included.

IMO, it's much better than chunking them in the ground . I had one of my pets cremated and drove around with his ashes in my truck for months
default_wacko.png
: .

I'm not saying this person had taste that sent the email but they have to get their animals to practice on from somewhere.

Many times deceased animals are kept in a freezer ( just as people are kept in them with a fancier name ) and those would probably be the only animals that would be in decent enough condition to attempt a mount. I can't imagine road kill works for them very well.

IMO its a nice alternative ( the asking - NOT AT ALL the lack of taste used in the question ) to this person goign out to randomly kill something just to have practice mounting an animal.

I sure wish that it was worded better.... I'm not even sure how that is possible but I understand the need behind the question... I just don't know how that person could have put it so it didn't sound so strange and heartless.

TO the person whos dogs are cremated.... so are mine.. its very common these days.... I'd say more people cremate than burry.

Heather

Back