Taught my 5 month old to lay down!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Timber Buck

Reaction score
This was sooo easy to teach! He didn't try to get back up or panic. He took it as an easier way to eat the grass in front of him!!! :) I love our little Timber so much!

2011-11-13_11-35-54_789.jpg

default_aktion033.gif
:yeah Oh Well Done..yes please share how you went about it..Im a great fan of minis and tricks they love it
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

Awesome! Great job!
default_aktion033.gif
I'd be interested also in your method. I trained one of my geldings to do that but he won't do it anymore so maybe he didn't like the way I did it. So I'd love to know how so I could train my one of my others
default_smile.png

THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay all. It is fairly simple. Consistency is the KEY!! Remember, reward the slightest try. This is not to all be completed in the same session or even same day. For example, I did this over a week's time. Days 1-5 I moved through steps 1-5 about 10 times each day. In between every other try he gave me, I would let him walk off, go take a bite or two of grass and then bring him back to refocus. With young horses especially, you have to be careful not to make them resent the skill or trick you are teaching them by expecting too much too fast. Day 6 we really worked on step 6 several times and Day seven we did step 6 over and over until the last time when I went ahead with step 7 and brought him fully down to the ground. Be sure the ground is soft and grassy. Also, make sure if you are in a sandy area that you keep the knee brushed off so as to not cause irritation.

Step1: Before you even touch the horse decide what your vocal cue will be so eventually you can just say it and he will do it. I chose "Lay"

Step 2: Pick a slight hill (grassy and soft) to do this on so that he doesn't have to go all the way to the ground the first couple of times he tries it. (Not so steep that they won't stay down though)

Step 3: Stand on his left side close to him with the lead on the other side (opposite side)

Step 4: Facing his head, take your left hand and get him to pick up his left front hoof. Hold it up with your left hand.

Step 5: While still holding the one leg up, say your cue word over and over during the rest of the process) begin putting slight pressure on the lead rope moving it back towards his tail. The lead should be on the opposite side of his body that you are on. This causes his body to lean back and his head to turn outward a little, switching his weight slightly to the left side where you are hold his leg. This is only the first step of them learning the concept of the bow. Be patient and try not to fight them. Be clear in your commands, but not forceful to the point it is a fight. Ask for just a little to begin with (a quarter inch of movement-then an inch, then two, etc in each repetition)

Step 6: Once the leg you are holding touches the ground, release it gently and reward your horse for learning how to bow!! This is the first half of the laying trick.Don't worry about the position of their head. They hold it wherever it is comfortable at first.

Step 7: Follow the above steps until your horse is very comfortable with you putting them in the bowing position without panicking and trying to get up or fight it. At this point when they are deep into the bow, use your right hand that is applying pressure to the lead on the other side of his body and gentlly pull his shoulders towards you. This will gently put him into position to lay down. If he doesn't do it at first, do not get discouraged. This is normal!! When he does lay down, it may be clumsy and like a fall more than a lay since this is new for him. As soon as he is on the ground, try to REALLY reward him as much as you can with lots of good boys and petting. Try to rub his sides, his legs, his head, etc. Try not to pat on him as he is in a vulnerable position and may feel threatened by this.

**If he wants to get up, let him the first time so he doesn't feel trapped. however, after that you need to make him realize that you are in control now and he will be okay in your care. Let him know you are an effective leader and will protect him. The best way to encourage him to stay down is to keep his head bent outward a little with the lead rope just like you've done to encourage him to lay down. Have another verbal cue when you are ready for him to stand up. Again, be clear with it.

The goal eventually is to be able to just say "Lay" or whatever your verbal cue is and he will lay. You can do that be lots of repititions, less and less assistance for him to lay, and by using alternate body language. You eventually want to be able to walk away from him and him stay down until you tell him otherwise.

Let me know if this makes sense. Can we post videos on here? If so, I could demo it. Thanks for the interest!! I got the basics of the idea from Clinton Anderson with a little of my own adjustments for the miniature horse and for my style of training.

aktion033.gif
That is a wonderful explanation, Thank you. I can't wait to try on mine
aktion033.gif

Please post a video too as I would love to see you in action
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back