Talking about buying and selling horses

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reble

Reaction score
Boy oh boy, just don't know what to do. Long Story, Hope you guys like to read.

My daughter now 21 living on her own, had her Registered Paso Fino Mare sold 3 years ago, after she had a filly, could not keep both, and was getting into minis. Daughter had her for 7 years. Very hard and sad to make this decision, went to a Lady with a 11 year old girl. Same age my daughter was when she got her.

Only about an hour away, my daughter would never go see her because she said it would hurt to much.

Now the Lady that bought her just called, her daughter no longer interested and she works to much to ride her.

Boy do not have the money right now to buy her back, hubby says no way. Don't know if I should even tell my daughter, but I know i will. My heart says take her back the bank book says cannot do this.

Help any suggestions, she is giving us a week to make a decision.
default_wub.png
:

The Mare is now 18 years old, that is why we kept the Filly, but my daughter has just started breaking the filly, but is not her beloved Old Mare.

What would you guys do as a Mom and the horse does end up here again, cannot keep two big horses for sure.

Can you give me the pros and cons, thinking maybe selling the 3 year old.

Need someone outside the circle to give advice, yes I have asked for advice?????

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nice that you received a "first right of refusal" ..... Perhaps you should think which situation would be to each horse's benefit. Would the older mare be better off back with you? Would the filly be better off? Would the older mare be happier in a home with a young girl? What about the filly?

Just thought I'd throw out a different way of looking at your problem.

MA

Sorry for doing on both places. Just thought incase someone does not go on the back porch.

Well, told my daughter at lunch, just in tears an pleaded, Please can I get her back.

Soft hearted Mom, said I will call her and see what we can do.

She was really happy to hear we would take her back, she goes on trail rides as ofter as she can take her. Other horses where she boards come up lame but never Melada, My daughter did alot of 4 H with her, barrels, flag pole and showmanship. Easy to handle.

So getting to the point, Lady agreed to let us come Sunday and see her, if she is in good health and attitude is the same, as we sold her 3 years ago, she is a return.

The Lady will save board if we take her back with us, her board is going up as of July, so no money down, and contract will be written to say we will pay her as soon as the Filly is Sold.

Melada's Filly ( Diosa ) is now 3 years old and have had a saddle on her about 3 times, just doing all the ground work.

Well here is an example of someone buying and we did believe she would stay till the end of her time, but situations do change. Her daughter was only 11 years old and now no interest at 14 years old.

Just never know, but we hope Melada will stay with us now till SHE decides otherwise. Or unless my daughter can get a place in a few years to take her.

My daughter promises to come out at least twice a week if not more to work and ride her.

Of course she started a new job and getting married next year. Her fiance is a great guy, and would like to get into riding also. They have been together about 4 years now. Going to make a great son But we can not keep both horses. Not enough room.

Picture of My daughter with Melada 10 years ago

Melada.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh you just had to go and add that picture!! Sweet looking mare!!

Anyway...is there just any possible way of keeping both?? Were there is a will there is a way!!

I was in the same situation as your daughter years ago...but unfortunately had already gotten married and had a child and there was no room in my life for a horse...it was really hard but I let my old "baby" go on the open market and found that she was sold to a girl who had outgrown her pony...I was happy, horse was happy and so was the new owner.

It is great to geet the right of 1st refusal but sometimes the decision is sooo darn hard to make...

Think long and hard before committing to taking her back...she would probably make some other youngster a great horse...must think what is best for all concerned.

Latest posts

Back