Taking weanlings to shows

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cimarron

Reaction score
We are thinking of taking our Redrock Incogito colt to a couple shows in July as we have to get him sold! We have too many boys and a wedding to pay for next year!!! Nehi was born the first of March which makes him about 4 months in July. We will be taking his mom with him cause I don't want to wean him that early. His mom of course has had her vaccinations, west nile and coggins. What about Nehi? What does he need done to travel to a show. I have not vaccinated him yet as he is still nursing. Advice please! Thanks, Sheila
default_smile.png

P.S. Both shows are within a hour and 2 1/2 hours from our home so he won't be traveling too far!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have taken (and continue to take) weanlings as young as 6 weeks to exhibit in shows, actually younger, the younger ones not TO show, merely to travel in between points.

I would advise that you contact your vet to see what they recommend for your area and risk situation.

My mares are up to date, but we don't begin any shots on my foals til they are 6 months of age, with some exception. My vet is my absolute contact on these things as anyone else is just an opinion, as is mine.

I show weanlings pretty much every year and have never had one get ill.

On the other hand, it seems I never sell foals at shows, nor does it seem the show experience does much to help promote them even though we are often in the top placings (with competition no less) so it may well just be money down the drain to show weanlings.

Still, if I were shopping, I would really be happy for the chance to see a foal in person at a show than have to determine through photos or video if it were "the one!"

The gelding in my avatar was at his first show at 6 weeks and he's never been sick in his life. He's now four and his youngest brother is in the show trail, he will be at his third show as of next weekend. Still no buyers and he's a nice one, nicer than his brother.

Your vet is the best one to ask as they know what is necessary for your region and it varies.

Good luck!

Liz M.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto with what Liz posted just above..........

If your mare was up to date with vaccinations prior to birth, this will carry the foal longer. Also, the condition of the stalls and complex in general should be a consideration -- clean stalls etc.

We used to show our weanlings quite a bit as well..........The big thing that will bring a foal down and make them suseptible (sp) to getting sick is stress, secondly will be close contact to other horses.

We had mixed results with selling foals AT a show.....It's a bit of a gamble.

MA

Latest posts

Back