Taking Minis to Retirement Homes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equine_luver

Reaction score
We have a 4 year old gelding that is very quiet and docile and I was wondering if there was anything that I could do to try and prepare him to go to retirement homes. Just any info you guys have!

Thanks

The Delta Pet Partners is an organization that offers training and certification for therapy teams. They are Nation wide. I don't have their direct link but if you search them in Google the website will help you find your local contact. Here in Fl a class is coming up the last week in Jan and I was hoping my daughter and I would be attending however it conflicts with other things she has going on so we'll be attending the next one.

a little something you can do until you find a Delta program is take him to a Petsmart store. You can walk him through the store and get him used to so many things. One thing they don't do automatically is cross from a light colored floor to a dark one or vice versa. Seems they see it as dropping off a cliff. They need to see that they can do the change if they trust you. Also lights, sounds and slick floors are all things they will find there. I never cover the hooves with anything on floors. I always make sure they have proper hoof trim and DRY feet(have dried with towels on rainy days) I also stop and tell them "easy" when crossing from carpeting to tile flooring so they know to expect a change. I even have one little guy that will pull a cart in the halls on slick tile and never miss a beat. Just took lots of practice and planning. It is also a way to see if they will walk around an hour or so without messing on the floor. I actually scolded one while I cleaned up his mess and he didn't do it again unless he was inside a long time and just could not help himself. Walk up and down the aisles and make him walk close to those horse eating shelves. Again, that is a trust thing. If he learns to trust that you will not make him do things that will cause him harm, he will be much more open to the stuff that can happen anywhere. One note--you are trying to teach him to trust you completely. Do not in any way undermind this trust by allowing something to happen to hurt him in any way. Do allow that child to pet him--for instance, but not poke him in the eye. You are his sole protector and that is a large part of getting him to do anything you ask.

Make it fun for you both and it will be a good thing.
default_yes.gif

We have never taken our minis to a retirement home but Marnie and I have made many trips to Nursing Homes. The minis have all been very well behaved and it has been wonderful to see the joy and happiness from many of the residents. It is so worthwhile!

Here is our Sadie-

PC2300201.jpg

And here are Sally and Lydia with my Dad.

100_1266.jpg

The last couple years I have been taking minis to senior homes. We do it outside. They have always gone off well and if anything you get people outside who normally don't go outside.

KenBen

If you can take them to the schools that is a BLAST too. Some kids have never seen or even petted a horse and the adults enjoy it too. I have done it with the foals to introduce them to different sights and sounds and what better way then a bunch of kids. (I had 90 kids one morning-the kids were so well behaved because they wanted to pet the baby horses) great way to socialize them
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back