Tack room and grain room

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filipowicz Farm

Reaction score
Our tack and grain room needs to be organized better to get to items. Please show us how you store you carts for driving, grooming equipement that makes it easy to get to, buckets etc. Please show pictures or ideas that you have used that make things easy to get to and uses your space wisely. Thanks.

No pictures, sorry, but it helps that I have my tack and feed rooms seperate. In my tack room I have those big plastic totes that I label with a permanant marker, blankets on one, slinkies, sheets, I have smaller totes for neck sweats, halters, lead ropes, etc..... I have a shelf I use to store all the extra grooming stuff not in use. There is a small loft we keep a cart covered up in and one along the wall. The feed room always pretty unorganized but I have everything where I can get to it. We have a table with a bench under it and a 4 shelf unit. A large tote closed tight for all the medical supplies to keep them clean and we sue the large trash cans to put feed in.

* ha ha I don't think I sue the garbage cans I use the garbage cans!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not organized AT ALL, but I can say that our tack and grain are not only in separate rooms but on separate levels of the barn. There is absolutely NO WAY the horses can get into the grain, as they would have to get out through 2 fences (round pen panels) and then open the sliding barn door that I can barely open. The "tack" room is off the area where my big horse lives, which is where I hang ribbons and store stall cleaning stuff, clippers, spare halters, bug spray, vet supplies, etc (on metal shelving).

Don't laugh, but one of my carts is still in my horse trailer from the last show, one is in a second trailer, and 2 are in the garage (the ones I use most often). It is pretty easy to open the garage door - or the trailer door - and pull out a cart. MUCH easier than if they were in the barn. Usually I store carts in the horse trailer in the off season. Easy to wheel out if the trailer is needed for an emergency. My show halters, 2 saddles (oh my gosh, that's where they are!!!), my show clothes and everything I need for showing (and a few things I don't) stay in the trailer dressing room. I do use those plastic totes for extra show blankets etc. and those live in the cellar in the off season. Harness are also in plastic containers in the tack room. There is also shelving in the feed room for supplements and all kinds of stuff that should be organized better. Good New Years Resolution!

No pictures, sorry, but it helps that I have my tack and feed rooms seperate. In my tack room I have those big plastic totes that I label with a permanant marker, blankets on one, slinkies, sheets, I have smaller totes for neck sweats, halters, lead ropes, etc..... I have a shelf I use to store all the extra grooming stuff not in use. There is a small loft we keep a cart covered up in and one along the wall. The feed room always pretty unorganized but I have everything where I can get to it. We have a table with a bench under it and a 4 shelf unit. A large tote closed tight for all the medical supplies to keep them clean and we sue the large trash cans to put feed in.
That is exactly what we do as well, exactly. It works well and I am nearly obsessive compulsive with things being in place and clean and so I know exactly where they are at. I keep a lot of the totes in the front of the horse trailer though, smaller ones stay in the tack/feed room like the sweats ext.

My tack room is an old construction company's shed - 10'x20' and wonderful, with built in cubbys along one wall, and saddle racks on the other.

Grooming stuff (clippers, blower, vac, etc) is in a 12x12 covered corral along with the medications.

My grain room is in a 10x10 stall next to our feed & breed building (had to get it where the dogs couldn't get into anything!)

And my carts are in a fenced-in carport with a sign on it reading CAR(T)PORT.

Blankets are in the garage near the laundry area.

Organized? Not at all... that's why everything has to have it's own room!
default_rolleyes.gif

We don't have carts in the barn, and we don't store our excess grain in the barn, but we try to keep the tack room organized. It's a never ending battle.

We hung cabinets that we purchased at a Home Improvement store, like Home Depot/Lowes. Then we put in cabinets below with a nice counter on top. There are drawers on each side of the bottom cabinets and the refrigeration fits in the middle underneath.

We put in coolers - big ones, that we store the beet pulp and the feed in. They double as seating areas.

IMG_2066.jpg
IMG_2067.jpg

Hoping this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
All my feeds (horse/chickens/swans/rabbits/cat) are stored in big garbage cans in the barn, but my tack and other mini supplys are all stored in my basement on several shelves all nice and neat!

No pictures, sorry, but it helps that I have my tack and feed rooms seperate. In my tack room I have those big plastic totes that I label with a permanant marker, blankets on one, slinkies, sheets, I have smaller totes for neck sweats, halters, lead ropes, etc..... I have a shelf I use to store all the extra grooming stuff not in use.
Pretty much the same here, but I have all my grain in the totes also. They hold about a bag and a half, and I never have any stale grain or mice. I built shelves on both sides of my tack room, the feed is at the other end of the room. Halters hung over the feed totes. I bought little square plastic crates, about 10" square, to hold cans, bottles, bits, grooming stuff etc. Bought them at the dollar store. They stack nicely.

Carts are in a shed built specifically for them last year. Keeps them nice and clean.

I store all my tack in my basement on built in shelves. At least the stuff I don't use daily and my nicer show stuff. All labeled in tubs and there at you grasp.

I have cabinets and a fridge in the tack area for meds, wormer, fly spray, suppliments and such. I have 3 bins of grain tied with bungie cords over the lid for Jr., LS, and healthy glo. When it gets too cold, meds are moved into the mudroom fridge near the large first aid and foaling supplies. I wish I had it all in the barn, but that would require heat. Not happening in this lifetime!

Our tack and feed room is an 8 x 10 shed. I keep my harnesses in plastic tubs in the garage and my cart is under cover next to the house. I have separate hay storage, but haul a bale at a time over to the shed. I have shelves for supplements, medical supplies, shampoo, etc. and I have a 2 x 4 nailed perpendicualr to the wall where I hang the blanket bags when the blankets are put away. I just throw the blankets (or fly sheets) in use over the top of that when I take them off.

The bale in use is on the other side away from the tack, brushes are stored in a bucket, halters, lead ropes, hoof picks with twine loops, extra things are on tack hooks on the wall away from the hay.

I keep hay pellets in a trash can up by the house. I scoop pellets into a bucket, go in the house and fill it up with water and let it soak overnight for mash...that's why the hay pellets are not in the tack/feed room.

I keep a broom in there for cleaning up and also sweeping off stall mats. And I have a trash can and a scissors for cutting bales or whatever, because you always need a scissors.

I would recommend keeping feed and tack separate because feed draws mice and mice can destroy tack. Not that tack rooms do not have mice. It just lessens your chances of getting a nice harness chewed.

My feed room is a stall in the center of the barn with mats on the floor - feed in plastic trash cans with excess bags stored along the back wall, and I feed the cats in there too, encourages them to lay around by the feed and discourage varmints.
default_smile.png
Most of the hay is in a separate hay barn & has to be brought down but we store up to about 60 bales (in concrete) in an area at the end of the barn.

My tack room on the other hand is a disaster. I have sort of industrial looking shelves down both sides, the intent was to have blankets, slinkies, etc all neatly stored in labels totes along the wall. That I have done, but the reality is that we used this room to store EVERYTHING in when we lived in the tiny barn apartment, and I've never completely gotten control of it lol. I have to compete for space with tools, electric fence supplies, dog crates, a couple of file cabinets and my daughter's big horse supplies. The absolute best thing about this barn though is the wash/groom room. I have a dedicated wash area with hot water and a Kalglo heater.
default_smile.png
Also two large Rubbermade cabinets in there - one for shampoo & grooming supplies, one for meds, syringes etc - and a small fridge.

Carts stand in the aisle along the wall at the opposite end of the barn from hay. They were supposed to roll into my tack room, but the door lacks about 2" of allowing them to roll in easily, and I don't know where I would put them in there anyway!

Jan

If I remember, I will get some pictures tomorrow or ours. We have three (and a half lol) barns; In our show barn, we have a HUGE tack room that has our carts, harnesses, saddles (we have ten+ or so?), my sixty bridles (not exaggerating...I have a bit collecting problem
default_wink.png
), all of our grooming and med stuff. Then we have a separate feed room that has JUST grain and supplements. We also have another separate area where we keep hay and shavings. We have a separate hay barn, and only keep enough hay for a few days at a time actually in the horse barns.

In our boarding barn we have a Tack room/Office type room, another separate feed room, and then in that barn there is also another room for boarders tack and such.

Then we also have the massive hay barn, which also has open stalls and runs off one side of it. In that barn we at most will keep grain, and then an area with halters and lunging equipment.

Then, as if thats not enough stuff, lol, we also have a small shed, maybe 14 X 14 or a little bigger. We have some older tack that we don't use much, or that we just can't part with stored in there, as well as sesinal type items, such as our power washer, stock tank heaters, and also our electric fencing stuff.

I will take some pictures tomorrow...we just built our two new barns, so have some really neat storage things for them!

Hi Fran. Nothing fancy here but its organized. I have a lot of things and I need it to be organized to save time.

My tack and feed room is 10 X 10 so considering the small space it had to be arranged to prevent clutter.

Cabinets:

I have two walls of cabinets. We were lucky we did a renovation and I made off with the maple cabinets!

I have them organized according to what I have:

medicines and wormers in one.

Grooming things such as spray sheen, that darn show goopy stuff, mouuse anything pertaining to that family or hair type goop.

Hoof care realted meds/ leg wraps, soaking boots, etc.

Miscellaneous hardware, latches etc.

And of course one entire cabinet is devoted strictly to scrunchies, bows and ribbons.

Below the cabinets on one wall I have my set of feed cans lined up:

Mini feed

Sonny's senior feed

Beet Pulp

Oats

They are all labed in the event I get run over by a Reindeer

On the other wall below the cabniets I have some rubbermaid containers stacked up and labled:

Sheets

Winter Blankets

Coolers

Fly masks

Spare Halters/ropes

On the next wall I have those big huge pvc plastic type shelves that go from ceiling to floor.

These things are organized shelf by shelft and are exposed:

On them I have a stack of towels and wash rags

Bathing supplies, shampoos, creme rinse etc.

Clipper Blade box

Clipper supplies blade wash, oil, etc.

Extra water buckets

Extra feed buckets

Vitamins/minerals

Then I have four grooming plastic totes on those shelves where I keep:

one tote for body brushes

one for rubber brushes

one for mane and tail combs

one for scissorS, bot removal tools, hoof pics, miscellaenous stuff

The last wall is a smaller wall because that is the wall where the door is on so I only have one set of shelves floor to ceiling (almost)

and on that set of shelves I keep my saw, hardware, tool box, containers of nails, screws, anything that pertains to tools.

Flooring consists of those rubber squares I got at Sams Club. They are I think about 14' X 14' or maybe 16" but they aren't the little ones.

Sorry no cart or harness but if I had one, I'd probably find a way to hang it up on the ceiling somehow maybe using bicycle hooks.

Here's a partial picture:

cabinets.png

Marty, don't you know if you have an organized tack and feed room you are a very sick person?
default_biggrin.png
default_biggrin.png

We used to keep the harnesses on saddle racks in the tack room, but my husband got frustrated with that system and built harness racks. He built them so that they can be moved from the tack room to the trailer, b/c they attach to the wall with semi-trailer E-track. There is E-track on the tack room wall and the trailer (we have a double-walled Jamco). See photo. We like harness racks to hang the leather without it being "smushed". We also use the E-track to tie our vehicles down in the trailer.

Right now, we have a cabinet that keeps all the brushes, bottles, and other small items in the tack room. Blankets and sheets are in totes. We have a set of equipment in the barn and a separate set in the trailer, so that we only have to clean and pack the horses, harnesses, carts and clothes to go to a show.

Our tack room is insulated and we leave the door open into our heated shop in the winter, so that the harnesses and liquids stay "warm" (about 50 degrees).

Carts are in various locations depending upon their use. Someday, maybe we will have a carriage room, but for now our show vehicles are in our basement garage, our mini training carts are in the shower stall in the barn (no washing horses this time of year.), and our marathon vehicle for our big horses is in the arena.

Feed is in the barn in bins, but extra bags are in the tack room, because we now purchase our feed in quanity. We haven't had a critter problem, b/c the cats stay in the heated shop, and we haven't EVER seen a mouse in there! We had rats when we moved here and built the barn, but the cats decimated them.
default_biggrin.png
I love my kitties!
default_wub.png

pass_side.jpg

" Organized?? What is this word you speak of???"

Hmm - I wondered the same thing??

Mine is all on open shelves, and in early spring I do a spring cleaning and straighten. By winter it's pretty much trashed, but it gives me a project for spring. Like I need one!
default_wacko.png

I don't care for closed shelving because I will forget what's where and spend time trying to find what I need.

I can't say that mine is "organized" but after waiting for over two years for my promised "tack room", I bought a medium size rubbermaid garden shed. We put it together inside the barn where I can use the shelves to store things away from all the dust.

Latest posts

Back