Tablet PC's

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill

Aspiring Cowgirl
Reaction score
Do any of you have tablet PC's? And if so, which one and how do you like it?

After falling in love with my iPhone, I'd been wanting a tablet PC so ordered one last week. I looked at a side by side comparison of Toshiba Thrive vs. iPad, and went with the Toshiba.

I've been using Toshiba laptops for over a decade and had great luck, plus I was curious to fool with the Andriod platform, which is what the Thrive runs. Excited for it to get delivered so I can enduldge the nerd in me
default_laugh.png

Also, I'd love to find a way to make the tablet project presentations up on my conference rooms' flat screens wirelessly, but don't know if that's possible. It would be "smoother", I think, than using the laptops like I do now. Anyone know if that is a can do?

I hear amazon is coming out with a new tablet pc that is like the ipad and only cost $199. Check it out on Amazon. It will be out next month, you can pre=order.

My hubby got a Verizon tablet made by Samsung. He loves it. However, it is fairly complicated to use and he's still not quite sure how everything works. There is a whole lot to these things.

Lizzie

I've been a "tablet" fan for years. I got my first in 2005. It was a Fujitsu. They were close to $3000 at the time - things sure have changed!
default_new_shocked.gif
Back then, they were more like tiny laptops - all the power, bells and whistles but smaller in size and capable of turning the monitor around and up side down to write on like a piece of paper - with character recognition. Mine have all had the entire MS suite of products - so real Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc., plus FrontPage which is what I used for my website development.

I'm now thinking it's time for something new. My current Fujitsu is 3 years old and the battery is pretty much dead, so it's not very mobile these days. I haven't decided which route I'm going to go, so I'm very interested in hearing about your new toy Jill!
default_yes.gif
Keep us posted on what you think.

Last edited:
There's a learning curve for me. I am now used to the iPhone operating system and now think I'd catch onto an iPad faster than this Toshiba Thrive which is running the newest Android platform (Honeycomb?), but this tablet beat the iPad on memory, processor and expandability... and at a lesser price. I'm having a few issues with aps and think these may resolve in time as the aps upgrade to the Honeycomb version of the Android OS (?). I half got it as a new toy and half for potential office use. Thinking it will be good for both and that I'll devote a silly amount of weekend time fooling with it!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad you put this topic out there! I am planning on purchasing a tablet possibly this weekend since my last big horse is selling and leaving.

I am torn between the ipad and a tablet that is android driven. I have had a Toshiba lap top and liked it so I will definitely take a look at that one!!

I have an iPad I am using now as we drive down the road. One thing I don't like is that I haven't found out how to add an attachment to an email

I have an iPad I am using now as we drive down the road. One thing I don't like is that I haven't found out how to add an attachment to an email
If your ipad works like my iphone, you start with what you want to attach (picture, video) and open it. Then touch the box with the arrow thing and select email
default_smile.png

I've been using the Toshiba Thrive for a few days now, and I love it
default_smile.png
I think it was the best choice from a business functionality standpoint. I like that it has full size ports and easy storage expansion. The Android platform took some getting used to but now that I am I love it. I would definitely recommend it to others
default_smile.png
I just ordered another one that I'm going to give to my dad
default_wub.png
. I can offer no higher endorsement
default_biggrin.png

So glad you like it Jill. Can you give me an idea as to what business apps you mean? And how does the email work? Can you send and receive both your personal and business email?

So glad you like it Jill. Can you give me an idea as to what business apps you mean? And how does the email work? Can you send and receive both your personal and business email?
Right now I don't think I'm running apps on this thrive tablet also won't also run on an ipad because they run on my iphone (my professional sites load and I have DocsToGo on this and the iPhone), however this has full size ports, including HDMI and USB, that make it so easy share files and hook up to other equipment like my conference room flat screen TVs and power point projectors. Also will run adobe flash which is not available on iphone or ipad. It can run many more aps than Apple (so restrictive) permits. I think I could have watched the Natinals feed with this thanks to adobe flash. Setting up business and personal email is easy, but it was on easy in the iPhone too. You pick a default send account but can select case by case if you wish to reply or send from home or business addresses. This also has a built in microphone button on the keyboard so you can talk instead of type. This does not have mobile internet, however every place I will use it has wifi (home, office, conference centers / country clubs / restaurants (for group presentations), and hotels. It has everything I wanted, including some features not available on the ipad, and cost less than $400.
default_smile.png

Sounds very interesting!

Regarding your work email, aren't you required to have surveillance software due to the industry you work in? Does it run some type and if so, can you share which one it isk? This is an issue for me and I am trying to find a solution.

Thanks!

quote name='Jill' timestamp='1318191807' post='1416369']

Right now I don't think I'm running apps on this thrive tablet also won't also run on an ipad because they run on my iphone (my professional sites load and I have DocsToGo on this and the iPhone), however this has full size ports, including HDMI and USB, that make it so easy share files and hook up to other equipment like my conference room flat screen TVs and power point projectors. Also will run adobe flash which is not available on iphone or ipad. It can run many more aps than Apple (so restrictive) permits. I think I could have watched the Natinals feed with this thanks to adobe flash. Setting up business and personal email is easy, but it was on easy in the iPhone too. You pick a default send account but can select case by case if you wish to reply or send from home or business addresses. This also has a built in microphone button on the keyboard so you can talk instead of type. This does not have mobile internet, however every place I will use it has wifi (home, office, conference centers / country clubs / restaurants (for group presentations), and hotels. It has everything I wanted, including some features not available on the ipad, and cost less than $400.
default_smile.png

Used to be required to allow my broker / dealer have access to all business emails, but last year, I resigned my B/D affilliation and no longer sell securities for commission (never did that much and never a big part of my income). Now I "just" do fee based money management, financial planning and annuity / insurance business. All thru my own corporation (which is an RIA). Best business move I ever made and so much easier now to acquire brokerage accts (custody with one of two household names). One small silver lining is I no longer have to send emails through a broker / dealer. I was a registered principal so could approve outgoing and submit later but still a pita. However, when I was with the B/D, my blackberry was able to send a receive business email. The B/D had access to incoming and outgoing thru the server. Now I just pay a consulting firm to help me keep everything in compliance and to review ads, etc. But a tablet PC should be okay and configurable from any kind of compliance or regulatory stand point.

Sounds like a great move for you Jill! We have to have everything reviewed so additional software is required. Works on my laptop, but so far no email from my phone or tablet. Oh well. Just means I can't take my work everywhere I go.;)

That's not a bad thing. Sometimes I feel like I only have to work half of the time, and get to pick which 12hrs out of the day (old joke but one day next week my first client comes in at 9am and my last comes in at 7:30pm!) Thankfully, I don't have many days that busy, but this economy is generating more clients and business for me (almost ironic, I know). You might check out the Android Marketplace and search to see if they do have the kind of survellience software you need, but I'm thinking that could be a propriatary by the firm you work thru kind of situation.

Latest posts

Back