t;he oldest horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucky lodge

Reaction score
default_saludando.gif
what is the oldest miniature horse that you no of

The oldest one on my farm is 32 this year! Meet Larga!

Fall horses 062.jpg

Edgewood Skip To My Lou, a 1994 mare, is not the oldest mini I know of, but she is the oldest mini I own... Picture is a few years old, but she looks just the same now as then. Really fun and easy mare to own and drive:

LOU--07312006--%20115.jpg
LOU--07312006--%20085%20BRUSHED%20MARE%20PAGE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Larga has had a bunch of babies in here long life, last filly born when she was 24 is still on my farm. If she had her choice she would still be having babies but now she plays grandma, lives with the mares and foals and stays with the babies when the mommas are taken away for weaning. She would always nurse her baby and her babies best friend...like inviting your best friend over for lunch!!
default_yes.gif

34 and I don't have a picture of him. He's deaf but still runs with the yearlings

The oldest mini that I have here on my farm is a 24 year old rescue mare.
default_smile.png

The oldest horse that I have ever owned was not a mini, but was a mare that I grew up learning to ride on. Her name was Blaze and she was 36 when she died.

The oldest one that I knew of belonged to a close friend of ours. He had a stallion that passed away about two years ago at the grand old age of 42 ! He was there when the boy was born, and with him when he passed. Our oldest is a cremello mare who is around 25 yrs. She had her last foal at 23. I am sure Anna C will add to this thread as I know she has some golden giirls in her herd
default_yes.gif

LOL! Sharon, yes I have a couple, but they are not that old. We have a fat, healthy, sassy 27 year old, another at 23 and a third at 21, plus a few in their late teens. A couple of years ago I had a 33 year old mini that I decided to put down before the winter came, which was the right decision for her as we had a very hard winter that year and she would have struggled to survive. My daughter's original Dartmoor pony was 7 when we bought him for her and passed away when he was 37, by which time he had the run of our farm and spent his days terrorising any unsuspecting visitors!!

I just love the oldies!
default_wub.png

Anna

Our oldest mini is our mare Poplar Lanes Julie Ann. She turned 38 years old this year and is still going strong!
default_smile.png

The oldest horse we owned was our last Arabian horse, a stallion named 'Chariot Of Fire.' He was 29 years old. We just put him down June 11, 2011 do to his declining health. Vet said he had liver cancer and there wasn't anything more that could be done for him. Three years ealier Chariot was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Our vet said by removing the cancerous testicle we would give Chariot another 6 monthes to a year to live before it could spread to his liver. Well, Chariot exceded that by living another 3 glorious years.

Our oldest mini is Brookwoods Little Amber Flame and he is 23 years old. Amber and Chariot were stabled next to each other and were best friends. Amber still trys to look and sniff for Chariot by the waterer that they shared. Its a double waterer, one water cup on each side of the stall wall.

The very oldest horse I know of, lives next door to us. She is a 37 year old Arabian Mare named Easter and they have her registration papers to prove it.

A small but surprising story about Easter. Three years ago we put a new pasture up that was close to the edge of our property line, next to Easter's pasture. We rotated different groups of minis in this pasture because of the nice grass that was growing in it. One group consisted of a couple of young colts. The boys would nicker once in awhile at Easter but she ignored them. Since her pasture is quite large, it didn't seem like it would be a problem for the colts to be in that pasture to eat grass. After several weeks I noticed Easter was purposely staying close to the fence by a two year old colt who was starting to become very studdly. We watched for a short time and discovered EASTER WAS IN HEAT. I never would have thought a then 34 year old mare could still cycle. We promptly removed the young colts from that pasture.

Shandoaharabmini

i got a unregistered black and white pinto mare when i was 7 years old, she was estimated by the vet then to be in her late 20s... i had her till i was 16 then gave her to a family that wanted a pony to spoil... i got a call from them shortly after i got remarried ( i was 22) and asked if i would like to have her back as 'Sally' was not doing well.

sally came home, she was no longer black and white but grey and white pinto LOL she was so old, that most of the color had been lost.... took her to the vet, while she was a bit thin , about 70lbs under weight she was other wise healthy(vet said she was the oldest he had ever seen he said she had to be over 40!), so we put her on a diet or soup( she had no teeth) but even with the new diet, Sally passed away peacefully in her sleep a week later, i am so glad we got those last days with her, i loved it she recgonized me immeadiatly, same pretty brown eyes with blue marbling in them.. although her sight wasnt good. i only have a few pics of her and im not sure where they are... ill see if i can find them!

Our oldest mini is 25. Ohio's Merri Miss. She is a love bug. She is the sweetest horse ever.

I have a quarter mare that is 22. Just had the vet out today. She is starting to have some age health related issues.
default_sad.png

Years ago I worked at a quarter horse farm. They had a gelding(large horse) that was included in the purchase of their farm. They were told how old he was when they bought the farm. When he passed away they figured that he was 50 years old.
default_new_shocked.gif
I saw his condition and he was really in poor shape, but was on pasture and still able to graze so they just let him be. He passed on his own. I Anyone ever heard of a horse getting to that age?

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back