T buckle nightmare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovewelshies, you said that the vet once put it down to her having "feather mites" and I was wondering if the vet ever mentioned anything about worming with ivermectin to kill off the mites? I think I have heard of that as a treatment, but I am not sure if I remember correctly. I'm not suggesting it, just curious if you or anyone has heard of that as a treatment.

Sorry for your loss marsha i know how hard that must of been for you, i went through a similar situation with a young gelding that after many tests and colics had to let him go

Cayuse you've got me thinking! I do use ivermectin however i dont use it in autumn not sure if you've heard of equest and equest pramox but that is the system what i use i treat every 13 weeks so worm 4x a year alternating between the two and there all due the equest pramox now which is the tape worm one so hasnt got ivermectin in so wonder if i switch for equest this time maybe that would cover her but would mean she has the pramox for tape worm next time which would be January does that sound ok to do???

Cayuse you've got me thinking! I do use ivermectin however i dont use it in autumn not sure if you've heard of equest and equest pramox but that is the system what i use i treat every 13 weeks so worm 4x a year alternating between the two and there all due the equest pramox now which is the tape worm one so hasnt got ivermectin in so wonder if i switch for equest this time maybe that would cover her but would mean she has the pramox for tape worm next time which would be January does that sound ok to do???
I have no idea if it would be ok, lol. The ivermectin thing is something I had heard or read somewhere and I was wondering myself if it would work as a treatment. I did have a mini with funky skin last year, he had several itchy "hot spots" that I treated with medicated shampoos and ointments with variable results and then I coincidently wormed him with ivermectin and the areas clear up. I wondered at the time if it was a coincidence or not.

I am sorry not to be of more help. Maybe the vet that said she had the "feather mites" would know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back