Symptoms of poisoning, possible case

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christina_ski

Reaction score
My mini stud Storm was acting off yesterday, and was just picking at his grain and was acting sort of depressed. But he was eating grass, drinking and was otherwise fine. I figured he was depressed as he just got pulled out of the pasture from his girls, he is still right next to them only not with them. He usually paces and I noticed he had slowed down, was not into it as usual, so brought him up to groom and look at him and he was still throwing a fit hollaring for the girls and showing off to the other stallion, and I saw nothing pysically wrong. He had pink healthy gums, hydrated, no cuts or bruises, no temp, gut sounds were fine, and I saw him poop and pee.

Well today, this morning he did not touch his grain. He was acting off still so gave him a dose of banamine since he was acting like his tummy hurt. Kept checking on him and he was fine till 5:30pm, when he was laying down flat out in the bottom of his pen and he is not a horse that lays down. I walked right up to him and his gums and lips were pale almost white, he was dehydrated but had no temp, had loud gut sounds, and most of his body was cooler to the touch even on a high 80 degree day. His eyes were kinda glazed over and I was thinking oh god he is trying to die! But had no clue why he crashed so fast. I could not get him to get up but finally managed to get him standing and walk him to the house, he kept trying to lay down but would still eat grass. Called the vet right away but they could not see him due to she was the only vet on call and had 3 others in front of me. Rushed him to the vet at 7pm right as soon as she could see him. Tubed him, gave him IV's, his pee is very dark, but it could be because he was dehydrated but I was thinking something is wrong with his kidneys. He has gut sounds still except for the bottom left side, he managed to poop a small amount nothing near normal. Still has no temp, no other sides other then he acts like he has a really sore stomach, and he keeps his belly sucked up and back arched like he is alot of pain. The vet was concearned about the way he is standing like that, since we gave him some more banamine and it did not seem to help at all. He even layed down in the trailer while tied on the way home.

Reason I think he has got into poison, as he got sick around the same time a barn cat did, who i found dead the day after she was sick. She looked like a rat who has been poisoned (if you have seen one that died of poisoning, you know what I mean) And was otherwise a very healthy cat. I think our lovely neighbors are trying to poison something and were not nice enough to leave it where the cats couldn't get it, or maybe it was intentionally left for the cat, and she got into it, and maybe have pee'd pooped in his pen and he ate some grass and got it that way, or they could have flat out gave it to him as well. No other horse is sick, but no other horse is in his pen, nor will I put someone else in there to find out. It sounds like a colic, but he showed very little improvement at the vet and is now being watched and will likely go back in the morning.

Has anyone had a horse get poisoned? What were their symptoms? Does this just sound like a bad colic, and would one come on so fast and suddenly? I have had them colic before but its usually a quick fix with a shot of banamine and a run in the roundpen but we catch it early, but he is a tough guy and won't show anything is wrong till its bad. And neither really seemed to help him. He is almost getting worse over time.

Will keep updated with his condition. Please keep Storm in your prayers!
default_no.gif
default_no.gif
He has a trip back to the vet first thing in the morning.

I am thinking that deactivated charcoal is used for poisonings? Correct me if I am wrong.

I am wondering if you need to get him to another vet asap.???

Last edited by a moderator:
The arched back and appearance of pain makes me think of strychnine poisoning--watch for convulsions. I have no personal experience with poisonings of horses so can't be a lot of help with suggestions as to what it might be, or the time frame in which to look for specific symptoms.

I can't help thinking, though, that if he was poisoned with something, your vet didn't do enough for him. But perhaps without knowing the exact type of poisoning there isn't a lot else that he could do.

I would have my doubts that your horse was poisoned via the cat--more likely direct ingestion of the poison. That sucks if a neighbor was that careless with poison; it's even worse if it were deliberate.

I will be hoping for the best for your boy--prayers sent for him.

Absolutely he should be treated with activated charcoal if you suspect poisoning. This is something that should be done right away. It is a very cheap thing for your vet to do, works very quickly, and will not harm your horse if you are wrong. I'd do it in a heartbeat immediately.

Best wishes to you and keep us posted.

Headed back to the vet this morning, keep him in your prayers! Its not looking good at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prayers for your boy!
default_pray.gif
:pray Have the vet check him for hyperlipemia also!

The dark urine is usually from kidney failure or could be dehydration/kidneys not functioning well.

I hope he will be ok- they need to dig into this much deeper not blow this off as something minor! Please keep us posted and we will pray for your little guy!

Ditto what Marty said! I'm praying for your little guy. Your vet really needs to take this seriously.

Leia

Since you suspect poisoning I would go with that theory, but his symptoms are similar to one I had that had impaction colic. He was fine one day and then cold and laying in the stall the next. The vet came out and we treated him for an impaction. He improved a little, but then relapsed and had to be put to sleep later that day. I hope you find a solution.

I'm going to say it sounds more like a colic to me, BUT - if you suspect poisoning do treat for it! Did they run blood on him? Coming from very recent experience, I'd suggest deactivated charcoal to your vet. I had a mare get toxic last weekend from weedkiller, and her gums were not pale but very dark, which suggests a toxin. We ran fluids, gave banamine and tubed with deactivated charcoal. She is back to normal (my heart is not!) a week later.

Jan

Praying for good news. You guys know I love this guy as much as you do.

Back