Swallowing problems in foals (LONG!)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle@wescofarms

Reaction score
Last Wednesday we had a 2 week old filly that was having difficulty swallowing, sounded congested in her lungs, snotty nose, etc. Her dam's bag was full so we knew she hadn't been nursing either.

We checked her temp 103 and called the vets. While waiting fot them to arrive we gave her a bit of banamine for the fever (less than .25cc) and milked mom to syringe milk to her as she was refusing to nurse. Milk came out her nose (both sides).

I suspected choke. The vets came out checked vitals - temp was at 102.6, she was a bit dehydrated but not tacky (gums). They gave her a mild sedation to run a tube to see if she did indeed have a blockage (it took five attempts to get it to her stomach before the sedation and four more after) as they kept getting into her lungs. She was really snotty, and obviously distressed. We also did a field xray of her lungs and took blood for a panel.

The vets suggested she had pneumonia or a cleft palate or had been sick since birth.

After the last tube attempt, she did try to nurse a bit. The vets decided to put her on Naxcel for 10 days, and they didn't have any on their truck to we followed them back to the hospital. When we came home, the filly's stomach was obviously full, she'd passed manure, no milk comming from her nose (we syringed some to check), no snotty nose or distress breathing and her temp was 101.4. The same was true in the morning. She was running and playing, an obviously full stomach, temp was 101.4 and has remained between 101.2-101.6 since then.

The vets called and suggest she had aspiration pneumonia or (the new one to me) a syndrome common to minis (this is what I was told) that causes foals in the two week age group to not swallow properly, so that they aspirate milk into their lungs causing pneumonia and/or it comes back out their nose. She suggested that I milk mom and teach the foal to drink from a pan and that would resolve her swallowing problem - it would only take a few weeks up to six months.

I didn't say anything, but was thinking - I've told you everything has resolved - no temp, she's eating, no fluids of any kind coming from her nose, no raspy sounds, no snotty sounds from her at all. She's playing, eating, peeing, pooping and acting 100% normal - so why would I do that? I did keep her on the Naxcel for 3 days - I couldn't see 10 days of an antibiotic in this case. She did have slightly elevated white blood cell count, but the chest xrays were fine as was everything else.

To me it was a clear cut case of choke that had been resolved when the tube passed into her stomach as the foals attitude changed so quickly after that - literally within a few minutes, and she was acting normally within two hours.

We're still monitoring her just in case, plus she's only allowed access to Mom's milk, Equine Junior, soft hay and fresh grass as I don't want to irritate her throat (not that she grazes much, but nothing stemmy). I'm more concerned she swallowed a rock and we're going to have colic problems later!

So after the lengthy story - has anyone every heard of this 'swallowing problem' in mini foals? I've never heard of this syndrome and can't find anything in my books or online, so any ideas?

I don't want to doubt the vet and I don't like to practice medicine or go against their recommendations, but sometime it makes me wonder, so thought I'd ask here.

im so glad shes doing better! i have never heard of a swallowing problem either?? I have heard of them having foal pnemonia but never heard that was related to swallowing? hope she continues to do well

I hate when vet's don't listen. I went thru this with Rose and her eyes. Dr Pam and I fixed her up but the vet charged me $600 for what he did and that was nothing.

As for your baby, I would guess she choked on a bit of mum's poop while munching. She would have been the right age for that. Tubing her did clear up the nose and rasp as you say and now she is a bouncey happy baby. I can so empathize with your frustration. You listen you your heart and inner voice. Watch her as you are and keep the Naxcel handy just in case, do FREEZE it as it spoils with in days. You can freeze it in syringes if you like then baggie them. One more thing...Naxcel's usually only used for 5 days not 10. SO..I'm glad your baby is better, you're a good mum. How about a pic!

Note: I am not a vet and am only sharing my personal experience.... :aktion033:

Oh I forgot....the fact they "suggested" a cleft palate
default_wacko.png
: Didn't they look? Very obvious if there is one. We had a puppy have milk come out the nose, first thing we checked was the palate, turned out she was just a pig!

Last edited by a moderator:
I ditto Dimi's entire post.

Cleft pallete should have been obvious and a problem would have shown up earlier.

Naxel is only used for 5 days, and it can be frozen.

I have never heard of a swallowing problem in minis, like your vet said.

I also feel your baby choked on something and aspirated because of it.

Sounds like you handled it wonderfully. Hope she continues to improve.

MA

So glad your little girl is OK Michelle! I too think she likely had something lodged in her throat. I have never heard of this "syndrome", nor experienced anything like it!(Truthfully, I doubt it even exists!) As for the clefte palate, you would have seen the results of that right from birth on...it would NOT show up at 2 weeks of age!
default_rolleyes.gif
: Sure makes you wonder how some people manage to get their "degrees"!

Glad your baby is better.I,too, suspect choke which resolved itself.I have had young ones do that&it scred me to death.I learned many years ago when I was breeding dogs, I got some very good advice from other breeders that my vet didn't give me.Vets are good&have lots of book learnin, but there is nothing like OJT&hands on experience ideas from someone who has been there.

Boy! sure glad she improved after the tubing! I have never heard of a swallowing problem in miniature foals. Around here we find that each year one or two of the little beggers will stuff all kinds of junk in their mouth and choke. I don't know why some do it and some don't. They have all resolved with vet assistance (tubing and for the gurgly ones a short course of Penn) Some we have resolved by just rubbing the throat in a downward motion and dribbling a few cc of water in the mouth.

I am hearing that the latest treatment for foal choke is Oxytocin injection........stimulates esophogous (sp?) muscle contractions. Never tried it, but our vet is using it now.

Charlotte

Glad to hear the filly's doing better Michelle! I know you've had vet problems in the past but this one takes the cake! I hate when they don't listen. As for cleft palate all they had to do is look! It also made sense that when they tried to tube her it kept going into her lungs......when their esophagus is blocked the tube takes the path of least resistance. I'm glad they finally got it through and cleared the blockage! Just glad she's doing better!

Latest posts

Back