Suspending Show Carts from Trailer Ceiling

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T'sMinis

Reaction score
Hi...Well, with the purchase of another show horse for next season I have a new delemia. We ran out of room in the trailer for a cart and we pull with an Expedition. (can't put it in the back) So, we are toying with the idea of suspending a cart or two from the ceiling of our trailer. Little nervous about that so I want to make sure we put lots of thought in our plans. I know there are others out there that do this so any in put or pictures would be helpful. Also, is there anything you'd do different?

Thanks for your help

Gina

I carry my carts in the back of my truck so I can't really say too much one way or the other on it. Just my observation on how low the cart rides to the ground on the back of the trailer. I would be afraid of something bouncing off the road and hitting the cart. Now it would be bad but not as bad if it is only your EE cart. I don't think I would put a show cart in that kind of danger. Even with a cover on the cart. Just for instance Monday I was on the freeway and a semi truck couldn't maintain it's lane so I gave him lots of room and let him way in front of me. A couple of mins later one of his trailer tires exploded and the whole tire pealed off and was on the road. I swerved and avoided it. However, if I had my trailer in tow I would not have been able to avoid it. It would have hit my truck and my trailer and most likely would have flipped up behind and if I had a cart on back it could have been hit by the tire. I would think a roof rack would be better. Something like they made for aluminum fishing boats so one person could load it on a car top by themselves.

I drilled holes for eyebolts in the roof steel supports of the trailer (not through the roof, parallel to the floor). I hang my cart using nylon flat straps covered in fleece tubes with a heavy snap. My trailer has partitions that go side to side, so to load I put the shafts initially on the partitions and then lift the back end of the cart up and snap the hooks. I then use a ratchet strap to hold the shafts up to the ceiling. Just be careful to not allow the cart to rub on the ceiling, tight is not better (I found out the hard way
default_no.gif
)

Donna

We used to hang the cart in our old trailer that was custom built for us. We had four loops welded into the ceiling when built. And then used nylon ratchet straps top hang it with. The drawback to that was one person really struggled to load a cart by themselves. And loading and unloading the horses was a pain ducking under the cart. When we went to our new trailer we added a cart caddy and like it better. We have hauled a show cart on the back for three show seasons and have never had any issues. If you live on gravel the cart cover will be covered with dust. From what I have seen putting the carts on top of a trailer takes lots of strength and coordination to maneuver them up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back