Surprised Us!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianeT

Reaction score
We were graced with a new filly on 2/20/10. Expecting a black and white pinto and low and behold we got Birch Tree Farms Crusin N Snow. Oviously we have some hidden genes on Mom's side.

What do you think she is carrying in the gene pool???
default_rolleyes.gif

She is an awesome looking filly for just a day old.
DSC01638-1.jpg
default_wub.png

the filly looks like she (almost) has a medicine hat paint marking
default_new_shocked.gif
! very rarely seen in minis! momma might just have an overo gene, beautiful filly btw
default_wub.png

Hi Diane

First of all congrats!

Do you have a closer picture of her??

From this one she looks to be splash for sure and probably tobiano but splash covered her tobiano markings. Does she have blue eyes?

Kay

Hi Kay,

In her stall I couldn't tell if her eyes were blue, but outside they do look like they are a dark blue. I think the Mom *Although black with only a star blaze is carrying some type of Overo gene. I'm sorry I just don't know very much about overos. This is "Mokey's" first foal and is our first time dealing with this gene type.

Her dam is TLC"S Miss Lucky Strike--sired by Reeses Rowdy Spirit sired by Grosshills I'm a Booger Too--sired by Lazy N 's Booger Man.

The dam also has Reeses Foxfires Desire and Reeses Overo Falon in her pedigree.

what a cutie pie.I think she is tovero.I agree with others,I think might have overo gene or tobiano?

what color is her sire?

First of all Congrats!

I would have to agree. You have two splash horses.

This has been my experience:

When I crossed this black splash stallion.....
splash1.jpg

...with this black tobiano, sabino, and I think splash mare....

Jersey.jpg

I got this 2008 Filly who has the red spot under her forelock and blue eyes.

HS%20web.jpg

and this 2009 Filly who also has blue eyes.

willow%20web.jpg

This mare is bred to my frame overo Cross Country Call Me Awesome for 2010 so I'm anxious to see how much white is on the foal.

I am also guessing overo and ..... ??

I would have her tested and you can pretty much tell what she is. Also the folks at Dreammaker Miniatures here in AZ have done a lot of research and participated in many DNA studies on the pinto genes. They test every horse they own and are a HUGE wealth of info. Not sure if I spelled their farm name right. I have seen pretty much SOLID horses still test positive for LWO that by looking, you would never guess carried it. You cannot tell by visual appearance, they must be tested. Some we thought would be LWO positive were not....................

Congrats and CUTE filly!! Love her name!

First of all Congrats!
I would have to agree. You have two splash horses.

This has been my experience:

When I crossed this black splash stallion.....
splash1.jpg

...with this black tobiano, sabino, and I think splash mare....

Jersey.jpg

I got this 2008 Filly who has the red spot under her forelock and blue eyes.

HS%20web.jpg

and this 2009 Filly who also has blue eyes.

willow%20web.jpg

This mare is bred to my frame overo Cross Country Call Me Awesome for 2010 so I'm anxious to see how much white is on the foal.
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
wow i love your black overo stud. nice filly by them as well. who owes this black overo stud now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Either Splash or Sabino can cause Medicine Hats, usually added to Tobiano, of course.

The filly looks to be Red base, which is quite possible from two Blacks.

Congratulations, very pretty foal!!

(PS you can keep the snow!
default_laugh.png
)

(PPS you can call her "overo" if you want, I am afraid the term has little meaning to me)

It's hard to tell with such a small picture. Her base could be chestnut or bay; it looks way too red to be black...

For coloring, can we see pictures of both parents? That should give us a hint of what genes she might have.
default_biggrin.png

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
wow i love your black overo stud. nice filly by them as well. who owes this black overo stud now?

Thanks. His name is KDS Short Stuff Scouts Splash On Me and he lives in New Hampshire.

6-09Cruiser.jpg

Picture of Snow's Sire. Thank you so much for all your help. All this information is soooo very interesting.
default_rolleyes.gif

Congratulations Diane! She's a cutie! She is very similiar in appearance to the foals that our maximum splash/sabino stallion typically throws when bred to any colour mare, pinto or solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back