surprise this morning...pics added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellerroseintx

Reaction score
my last mare of the season due beginning of August surprised us with a colt this morning...tiny guy..I did not have her under camera yet as she had no bag.....called the Vet and she said they have shots they can give..watch the mare and foal for 2 hours sometimes nursing brings in the milk...well...he nursed and after he was done I did feel and she does have sticky colostrum.(yea)...anyone had this before? Is it enough? He nursed pretty good, is vigorous but no bag...advice? he is only about 17 inches tall

***he seems to be nursing but hubby is still picking up that Domperidone and Oxcitocin per Vets advice*** SO PLEASE WELCOME OUR LAST LITTLE GUY OF THE YEAR.....

DSC03323.jpg

DSC03316.jpg

DSC03328.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See if you can get a tube of Equidone (Domperidone) from your vet and start your mare on that today. It will help tremendously. Congratulations on your new foal!

I dont have any advice but will be interrested in hearing what others say. But do want to say Congratulations on your new foal and I cant wait to see pictures.

I can only tell you what happened here to me:

Hey Kathye, I was frantic when this happened to me a couple years ago. There was no bag and here was the baby. He was nursing, but nursing what? I did feel sticky under there but still, no bag. He was up and running and jumping all over the place and kept on nursing "nothing". Called my BIL who is an expert breeder and better than our local vet and he convinced me to calm down and as long as the foal was nursing "nothing" he was obviously nursing "something" and said is there were "nothing" he certainly would not be so active. I checked every day and still a bag never did show up and by the way this baby was nursing like crazy and was beyond active and healthy.

Happened again this year with the same mare. My filly was up and nursing "nothing" again.......(sigh) This mare just doesn't seem to get a bag, but there is milk up there, way way way up in there! I really don't like it when these mares break the rules and mess up us humans.

I can only tell you what happened here to me:

Hey Kathye, I was frantic when this happened to me a couple years ago. There was no bag and here was the baby. He was nursing, but nursing what? I did feel sticky under there but still, no bag. He was up and running and jumping all over the place and kept on nursing "nothing". Called my BIL who is an expert breeder and better than our local vet and he convinced me to calm down and as long as the foal was nursing "nothing" he was obviously nursing "something" and said is there were "nothing" he certainly would not be so active. I checked every day and still a bag never did show up and by the way this baby was nursing like crazy and was beyond active and healthy.

Happened again this year with the same mare. My filly was up and nursing "nothing" again.......(sigh) This mare just doesn't seem to get a bag, but there is milk up there, way way way up in there! I really don't like it when these mares break the rules and mess up us humans.

that is exactly what is happening here...thank you fpr your input....glad to know I am not the only worried gramma

HEY KATHYE, MILLIE DID THAT ON HER FIRST BABY,NO PROBLEMS BABY HEALTHY AND BAG FINALLY CAME. HAVE MARE NOW WHO STILL DOESN'T BAG UNTIL AFTER FOALING. SHE ALSO MAKES A GREAT WET NURSE FOR OTHER BABIES. JO

Kathy I did have a tube of Domperidone too but watch and see if the baby is actually swallowing "something"
default_517.gif
default_517.gif
default_517.gif
default_517.gif
default_517.gif
default_517.gif
default_517.gif

Congratulations!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah He's a cutie!! Hope all goes well with the bag developing!

What a gorgeous little boy!! Many congratulations.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

If he's thriving, healthy and active, then your mare probably has more than enough milk for him without developing/showing a full bag, so I wouldn't worry too much. A lot of mares give birth with little or no bag, but still have colostrum and milk for their new babies!

Anna

THANKS EVERYONE..well she has had 2 shots of Oxytocin and 2 doses of Domperidone...sigh...still nothing...but...he does get up to nurse although he still is a bit unsteady....will put his head down and his back legs come off the ground like puppies sometimes do....but seems fairly active and interested in everything....I am just a worrier.....I dd have to share his unique witto face marking tho :eek:)

DSC03329.jpg

HEY KATHYE, MILLIE DID THAT ON HER FIRST BABY,NO PROBLEMS BABY HEALTHY AND BAG FINALLY CAME. HAVE MARE NOW WHO STILL DOESN'T BAG UNTIL AFTER FOALING. SHE ALSO MAKES A GREAT WET NURSE FOR OTHER BABIES. JO

HI JO!!!!!! Long time no hear.....thanks for the input...drive us all nuts these mares...wish they would read the books we do LOL..hey..thought I would let you know that Millie is sooo loved by those 2 little girls...they even took first prize with her in a local parade she was a big hit..I love it when things work out so well ..we were a good home but they are an amazing home!

Love the marking! What a wonderful surprise!

Your avitar horse photo is quite something too!

Congrats on your beautiful baby and love that face. These mares sure know how to mess with our heads lol

colt is doing real well this morning...very active....the mare still has about the same bag wise, but, you now, he must be getting something....this was a great learning experience for me as I WAS going to put her under camera today, how funny. Goes to show even when they are due end of July-August 5th and have no bag they can and will surprise you....

Congratulations on your handsome surprise.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back