Sugarcreek Auction in Ohio

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babygoose

Reaction score
I read a story about Sugarcreek on another forum. A person that went to the auction detailed her visit there and included a mini with a bad face injury. It was purchased by an inidividual that will attempt to save it. This auction sounds like a terrible place (like a lot of them I guess). I am including the link to her story.

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=173123

My point for this post is if there are people in the area of this auction that has the heart to go check for minis, there are probably some there that need help. Of course if you are in the area you probably already know about this place. I wish there was a way to get all the horses in need out there!
default_no.gif

So many people have tried to shut this horrible place down. There was even a secret documentary filmed there that I believe was on HBO. Even that didnt shut it down

I have been there once and purchased a pony from a person that got him at Sugarcreek. He has awesome bloodlines but was very thin

The problem taking anything out of there is you must have a super quarantine area on your farm. As your friend found out most of the horses there are sick with strangles and shipping fever.

I bawled my eyes out the one day I went. The smell of sickness and death was everywhere. The day I went there were no minis

Last edited by a moderator:
I started crying when I read this. Just horrible. I agree, I wish there was a way to get all the horses out of there.

An HBO special didn't even help the conditions there!?!?
default_no.gif
I wonder what can be done to at least improve the conditions at a place like this? Shutting it down will probably just move it somewhere else, not improve things. State laws anything? I know that several people have tried as shown in the above story, so that isn't the problem. I just makes me so sad that it seems nothing can be done!

I was trying to find the documentary and found this online petition for people to sign to improve conditions there

Cant hurt!\

sugarcreek petition

Thanks for the link. They are talking on the other forum if it would be possible to get 20/20 or a similar show to do a program on it. How do you contact a show like that? Even though HBO did a story, a show on a primetime network might reach more people. And would that even help if there are no laws to prevent this treatment?

Heres the link to the woman that did teh story with HBO

hbo

Another group is trying to find that horse before it ships out to save it

Kay

I went years ago and will never go again, sorry
default_sad.png
It broke my heart. I wanted to bring so many home. I had pictures of those horses in my mind for many years.

On a positive note, there are quite a few that go down and rescue what they can. My friend told me about someone that rescued 80 some horses in one day a couple of months ago.

I just wish that people would put their horses down by the vet if they can't keep them or find them a home.

I had read the same story and know some of the people who are part of that rescue group that goes there. They have gone there many times to save horses and report conditions. Any time anyone sees this they need to report it/file complaint. The mini that was saved that day did not have a major sinus infection as the on premises veterinairian said it did. It's nose was broken.

Pure Thoughts, the rescue group that goes there often to save as many as possible (big and little), went one time and got them all. There were 163 horses they took that day and the kill buyers ended up with none. There are nothing wrong with many of these horses. I have a pony saved from there a year ago this November. I am looking at another one right now that is only partially blind in one eye and that is his only fault.

They also say that pregnant mares are not allowed to be auctioned off and go to slaughter houses. That is major lie. One mare had her baby ten days after being saved. I couldn't tell you how many other mares had babies from that one save of 163 horses-beautiful horses, beautiful babies.

So, again, if you ever witness any of it, file a complaint. There are also people you can call in that article about the racehorses that ended up there that day that the article talks about.

Amanda

default_crybaby.gif

I know I have bought several things made by the Amish, probably not anymore if I know they made it.

Latest posts

Back